IGNORED

All Things Boxflyer in Ellijay - Check here for Parts, Tires, Service, Scheduling, Questions!

Indy Dave

1284492079_boxflyer7resizedforpost.jpg.3f450530391f1018d13da3bb3b2ef2ab.jpg

Here's a dedicated START Ellijay, GA Boxflyer Thread!

Brad will be updating this thread with information and scheduling. Post your questions, comments, etc here. :wave:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Indy Dave pinned this topic

Hello all interested in coming to START '23, I'm very much looking forward to this event!

I will have my TechDay Trailer with bike lift, air compressor, NoMar Tire changer, and full tool box with lots of spare parts.

R1200/1250 WetHead/ShiftHead

So far I've arranged to do several Cam and Valve 12k services in Ellijay, but am also planning on doing a specific Brake Caliper Service Demo video recording with the help of IndyDave. 

This caliper cleaning and brake pad service is something that can help extend the life of not only your replaceable pads, but the damage done to the rotors caused by dirt and hanging up calipers and pistons.

Date and time for this Demo TBA.

Right now, I have about 30 spark plugs, and 6ea of air and oil filters.  I'm only bringing enough oil to do about 3 full 12k services that include oil changes.

I expect to be doing about 3 or 4 Final Drive/Driveshaft Spline services, so have enough gear oil and crush washers for this...OH YES...I will have a couple of Paralever rear accordion boots for installation after I wander thru the parking area poking around at bikes at the event! 

Thanks to BamaJohn for his donation of a .5L container of the new Spec Final Drive Oil 70W-80 Hypoid G3.

So far I've got Cam and Valve Clearance checks for:

Bernie (Bernie) WetHead 1200RT (maybe early in the week of 4/24)

William Weldon ShiftHead 1250RT (wbw6cos)

Dave Bullock ShiftHead 1250RT (DBull)

Tom Nicotera ShiftHead 1250RS (Motorhead1977) (maybe as early as Tues 4/25)

Mike Barksdale ShiftHead 1250GS (MikeB60)

R1200 HexHead/CamHead

I've also expanded what I make in my shop with my lathe to include upgraded Front Wheel Axle Spacers.  These modified OEM spacers keep the wheel centered in the fork legs so that the rotors are in the middle of the brake calipers and also one side of the sealing surface for the bearing seal keeping water and crap out of the bearings.

Over time, normal road grime adheres to the layer of grease between the seal lips on the wheel and the soft aluminum spacer and wears a groove in the aluminum spacer and also wears down the rubber lip of the seal.

What I've done is purchased about 6 used spacers with existing worn seal contact areas, and then make a press fit Stainless Steel sleeve that I put where the wear occurs between the seal and the spacer. 

Now you have the normal OEM front axle spacer with a much tougher contact surface for the seal to constantly rub on...one that should last 100k or so.

I also have an equal supply of new wheel seals to install whenever this new spacer is installed.  I also have about a dozen wheel bearings for this series of bikes. 

S1000XR (the HotHead)

I understand that there are going to be several of XR series bikes at START this year.  Welcome! 

I will have a set of front wheel bearings and seals for this series of bikes on hand as well as for the above bikes.

This bike uses the same front tire as the R1200/1250 bikes and the same rear tire as the K1300 and K1600 bikes, so I only have 1 of the 190/55-ZR17 rear tires, (Dunlop RS3) so if you think you will want a tire replaced at START, please arrange this with me ahead of time.

I don't have replacement chain and sprockets, so if that is something that needs done, prior coordination please.

K1300 and K1600

I will have front tires for these bikes just as for the above bikes, but if you know you want something installed during START, please coordinate with me as the inventory of tires I have are mostly there for the unexpected tire change and not a warehouse to go shopping at...same with the 190/55 rears.

There will be a couple of prototype front axle spacers for these bikes that have the Stainless Steel wear surface as well, so get ahold of me at START if you want to have this inspected and possibly be a BETA Tester.

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools

I will be bringing ALL the 1200/1250 Cam Timing Tools and WetHead/ShiftHead Special 12k Tool Kits I have to be sold at the event.  

I'm not sure how many that will be, so see me early at the event so you can get what you need...these kits are small enough to carry home in your bike if you rode to START, or I can ship them to you later.

Pricing will NOT be published on this or any other Forum, so please don't ask...everything changes as my supply of raw materials and donor parts are constantly in flux.

All START/FART Attendees

I know that the ARTs, both START and FART are primarily RIDING events, but I have become attached to this group and feel fortunate to be invited to assist in making the experience better for everyone.

This year, I'm very lucky to be assisted by CAP Smith...(we're TWIN brothers, from different Mothers) and as always by the BBR Team (Bumbling Back Road Riders) to set up and recover each day from this maintenance part of the START/FART.

Of course, I'll have my laptop with the Unlimited VIN GS-911 to reset any oil change service lights or reset Adaptive Values on bikes.

Hope I can be of some assistance for this season of riding.

Brad Smith

Boxflyer

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider

Brad, 

I'd like to have a brainstorming session about ABS sensor connections and where I might be able to get water intrusion on the bike. On the day I was riding home in the rain the ABS had to be reset several times. When there's no rain, it works like a charm.  Let's brainstorm at START.  :)

Shawn

OK Shawn,

I have a supply of electrical type lubricants and silicone treatments too...all in the trailer at START!

Maybe it's an O-ring that needs replaced.

Brad

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

When do you plan to arrive in Ellijay?

I'm looking at arriving as early as Monday to do Bernie's 1200 and Tom Nicotera's 1250 (Motorhead1977) on Monday and Tues before the bulk of folks arrive on Wed.

The others are on the list above.

Brad

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

2023 START Raffle to Benefit Cancer Research

As many of you know my wife, Mary, has cancer and just went thru another surgery 2 weeks ago.  This was a recurrence of the same squamous cell carcinoma she had in her jaw and soft palate area a year ago.

She is being treated at Boston Medical Center by an incredible team of Doctors with great success.

I am putting up for a Fund Raising Event a set of Boxflyer Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Tools

The winner of the drawing can choose either the R1200 WetHead or the R1250 ShiftHead version of the Tool Kit. (See photo below)

All proceeds with go to the Jimmy Fund which is connected with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. 

Who was "Jimmy" story on YouTube

Tickets will be $20 each and you can buy as many tickets as you would like.  You may also donate directly to this worthy cause.

Jimmy Fund at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

All proceeds will be given in the name of the BMWST Bumbling Back Road Riders ARTS Events.

The drawing for the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Tool Kit will be Friday night at the START Dinner, 4/28/23, and you do not need to be present to win.

I will ship the Tool Kit to anyone in the USA that wins this and is not present, or doesn't have room to take it home from Ellijay, GA.

Normal value of these tools is over $800.

i-6frgbx4-L.jpgimage.jpeg.9f3791fd05a4f753122b16608106b1e7.jpeg

Boxflyer Special Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Tool Kit

--Left to right--

1) 42pc Set of 8.90mm Valve Shims for the range needed on the WetHead/ShiftHead (2.00mm-2.40mm --2each size)

2) Cam Alignment Jig Set for either 1200 or 1250 engine

3) 8mm TDC Locking Pin

4) 16mm (5/8in) Torque Adapter (special 7.75mm thick version for 1250)

5) 14mm Deep Well Spark Plug Socket

6) 4mm 3/8 drive Allen tip for torquing the small bolt on the LH Exh Cam Timing Reluctor

7) Cam Chain Tensioner with 42mm Setup Sleeve (works on both 1200 and 1250)

8) Engine Turning Tool

9) Spark Plug Coil Puller

10) (bottom) 14 Blade Custom Intake and Exhaust Valve Clearance Feeler Gauge Set

Please support this cause--- it is near and dear to my heart....and you may get a unique set of tools!

Brad

• Like 3

The C word sux!   Sorry for you and Mary having to go through this.

How does one go about obtaining those tickets?   (asking for a friend)

I have a roll of 1000 tickets that I will distribute with your contribution at START for the Friday night drawing.

"Buy Early---Buy Often"!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting ready for START

I've been working every day since the beginning of March.

Everything will be cash or personal check this event...NO PayPal or Venmo.

EYE CANDY for you TOOL depraved wrench turners!

i-D6XKVSW-M.jpg.     i-jxgF39x-M.jpg   i-GXDW38S-M.jpg

i-4KFc4BS-M.jpg    i-9vfJCbX-M.jpg   i-Lv3Qw9f-M.jpg

• Like 6

will you have the tire changer there?  If so can I change my front 19" tire?

Never mind I missed it, your NoMar will be there.  put me down (my time is flexible) for a quick front tire change 19" wire rim

OK,

I think you said in the past that you had a NoMar at home, if so, you could do it on your schedule. We can help out if you need a hand. 
Brad

ATTENTION!!! NEW ADDITIONAL RAFFLE FOR TIRES--- TO BENEFIT CANCER RESEARCH

I'd like to announce that one of our more active board members, Ed Apelian, @RTinNC has suggested a GREAT idea to generate more support for the Cancer Research Center at Dana-Faber through the Jimmy Fund.

Ed will donate a set of tires for one of these series of BMW bikes---R1200/1250 either GS/A or RT, or RS, or S1000XR. (MAX VALUE $400)

I will have a separate roll of tickets for an additional drawing at the Friday night dinner...I may revise this to be the Thursday night event based on the ability to actually install/balance the tires to the winner of the drawing while at START.

This is a great alternative for those of you that are not mechanically inclined, and don't really have a desire for the Cam Timing Tool Kit to get a set of tires for your bike...everyone needs tires eventually!

Please bring a check (several checks would be a good idea!!!) or plenty of cash for these worthy efforts to combat Cancer!  

I've stopped taking PayPal or Venmo so bring plenty of CASH or checks!

Thanks Ed for stepping up to the plate! 

Most all of us have been affected by some form of Cancer in our own families, and this is an excellent opportunity to make a difference!

Brad 

AKA Boxflyer

i-8HxrB7z-L.jpg i-p8fm4JJ.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

ATTENTION!!! NEW ADDITIONAL RAFFLE FOR TIRES--- TO BENEFIT CANCER RESEARCH

I'd like to announce that one of our more active board members, Ed Apelian, @RTinNC has suggested a GREAT idea to generate more support for the Cancer Research Center at Dana-Faber through the Jimmy Fund.

Ed will donate a set of tires for one of these series of BMW bikes---R1200/1250 either GS/A or RT, or RS, or S1000XR. (MAX VALUE $400)

I will have a separate roll of tickets for an additional drawing at the Friday night dinner...I may revise this to be the Thursday night event based on the ability to actually install/balance the tires to the winner of the drawing while at START.

This is a great alternative for those of you that are not mechanically inclined, and don't really have a desire for the Cam Timing Tool Kit to get a set of tires for your bike...everyone needs tires eventually!

Please bring a check (several checks would be a good idea!!!) or plenty of cash for these worthy efforts to combat Cancer!  

I've stopped taking PayPal or Venmo so bring plenty of CASH or checks!

Thanks Ed for stepping up to the plate! 

Most all of us have been affected by some form of Cancer in our own families, and this is an excellent opportunity to make a difference!

Brad 

AKA Boxflyer

i-8HxrB7z-L.jpg i-p8fm4JJ.jpg

Some one said tires? Where? How? I always need tires! :4317:
i am in for both raffles. :yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
NEWS FLASH!!!  MORE ITEMS TO BE INCLUDED IN SEPARATE RAFFLE TO BENEFIT CANCER RESEARCH 

Well, things are developing RAPIDLY!

After the initial announcement that @RTinNC (Ed Apelian) had donated a set of TIRES for the Fund Raising Effort, we've had a couple other well known ARTS participants who have stepped up to the plate to generously donate items to be raffled off at the 2023 START Rally in Ellijay, GA.

@TSConver (Shawn Conver...also Susan) has donated a GEN2 USB GS-911 for inclusion in the giveaway drawing on Friday evening.  This is a USB only, Enthusiast version (meaning that it's limited to 10 VIN's) and would be a GREAT addition to any toolbox for Service Light Reset and Diagnostics.  Here are the details of this very capable tool for BMW bikes:
@MikeB60 (Mike Barksdale...also Dyanne) has donated a couple of CDI Torque Wrenches.  One each in 1/4in drive and 3/8in drive.  The CDI Brand is now part of Snap-on Specialty Tools, so these are excellent quality tools that are needed on almost EVERY bolt and fastener on our BMW machines!

Please bring CASH or CHECKS to buy Raffle tickets as I'm trying NOT to use PayPal or Venmo anymore!
Tickets are $20 each, buy as many as you like!
Drawing at Friday evening meal.

Thanks for your support for OUR fight against CANCER!
Brad
Boxflyer

i-2tbS4tg-M.png     

i-NRZhWNm-M.pngi-vtzjXrf-M.png             
                                                                                                                                                                 i-p8fm4JJ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

The list of Donations gets BIGGER!!!

We now have several additional items to add to the General Raffle to be held at the Friday evening meal

There will be 3 separate drawings with different color tickets.

This will allow you to purchase tickets for the specific items that YOU are interested in...

If you want the Cam Timing Tools...you get Pink tickets and you DON'T need to be present to win.

If you want the Tires, then you will get Purple tickets and the drawing for this will be Thursday night so that tires may be installed on Friday

If you want any of the General Prizes (as below as well as the GS-911 and the Torque Wrenches) you will get White tickets...and this will be drawn on Friday night and you need to be present to WIN!

All the proceeds will still be going to Dana-Farber Cancer Research and the Jimmy Fund.

@60Aviator (Tim Borre) has donated a BMW Bike to Bike Communicator ($299 value) 

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/individualisation/accessories/navigation-and-communication/bike-to-bike.html

@Cap (Cap Smith) has donated an official BMW Tank Bag for use on WetHead/ShiftHead series bikes ($381 value)

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/bmw-r1200rt-wc-14-tankbag

@Boxflyer (Brad Smith) is donating a Blueskysea A12/B3M Waterproof Motorcycle Dash Camera ($170 value)

https://blueskysea-inc.com/b3m-p00106p1.html

and

Modular Helmet. This is a new Airoh Mathisse helmet in White, size Large ($240 value)

https://www.chromeburner.com/airoh-mathisse-color-white-gloss

Please bring CASH or CHECKS to buy Raffle tickets as I'm trying NOT to use PayPal or Venmo anymore!
Tickets are $20 each, buy as many as you like!
Drawing at Friday evening meal.

I don't yet have the direct link for direct donations to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Jimmy Fund set up, but I expect to receive such a link shortly.  I have submitted an application to the Division of Philanthropy at Dana-Farber.  

Thanks for all your support!

Brad

Boxflyer

i-8hsTQ6t-M.png   i-M9cVCD6-M.png

i-23msPQk-M.png    i-3TbxPMN-M.png    i-p8fm4JJ.jpg

Edited by Boxflyer
Clarify the conduct of the drawings
  • Like 1
John Ranalletta
On 4/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, Motorhead1977 said:

Brad, put me down for 5 tickets and a stream of prayers for Mary.

Brad, I'll take 5, too.  Best wishes.

• Like 1
On 4/14/2023 at 3:06 PM, Boxflyer said:

OK,

I think you said in the past that you had a NoMar at home, if so, you could do it on your schedule. We can help out if you need a hand. 
Brad

I did not want to presume that you would let me to do my own. That’s why I was asking, but yes, I am hundred percent capable of taking care of it myself. Thank you so much.

and I will take 4 tickets myself 

I will have cash

• Like 1

And if other people need tire changes done I can certainly handle those so that you can focus on the more technical things. 

just let me know 

RandyShields

Brad, I was wondering if you could fit me in during START to replace a low beam bulb on a 2016 RT.  It just went out today.

Thanks.

RandyShields

• Like 1

I'll give it a try from underneath...it will either be successful in about 15mim, or not.  I won't have time to dismantle the whole front of the bike to get to the back of the headlight assembly.

What bike are you bringing?  You were asking about a 19in front tire last time?

Brad

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

I'll give it a try from underneath...it will either be successful in about 15mim, or not.  I won't have time to dismantle the whole front of the bike to get to the back of the headlight assembly.

What bike are you bringing?  You were asking about a 19in front tire last time?

Brad

You have @randy and @RandyShields confused. Randy Shields rides a WetHead RT. I could help, if needed with the right bulb, as long as Randy brings a new light bulb along.

• Like 1
RandyShields

That was big Randy Ethridge from Atlanta with the tire question.  I am RandyShields from Charlotte.  Bike is a 2016 RT.  Trying to mount from underneath is OK.  Will you have the bulb or should I supply it?

My confusion...thanks for pointing that out Bernie and Randy.

I have a couple of H7 bulbs that are the correct size already packed up for the trip.

Brad

RandyShields
1 minute ago, Bernie said:

I could help, if needed with the right bulb, as long as Randy brings a new light bulb along.

Thanks Bernie.  I can bring one along.  After reading about everyone's travails in doing this job, I think I would benefit by some help with some folks who have done it before. Will just be going with stock.  My prior experiences with trying to use brighter replacements bulbs resulted in less bulb life.  

• Plus 1 1
RandyShields
Just now, Boxflyer said:

I have a couple of H7 bulbs that are the correct size already packed up for the trip.

Perfect.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Randy, I have successfully changed 2 of those on my RT.   I can help, if Brad needs an assistant.  I learned not to press the spring clip too hard (I bent one of the tab hooks with my thumb.  Yeah, you read that right.)  That is why it hurt the first time I tried.   :ohboy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s great!  Anyone and everyone who wants to help make the ARTs successful is why these are my favorite gatherings. 

• Like 5

Brad,

I’d like one of those new Front Fork spacers and seal for my ‘08. I’ll hit you up when I get there. Thanks for doing what you do. 

OK, no problem.

I've got several versions of the axle spacer and plenty of bearings and seals as well.

See you next week.

Brad

so my Uncle cannot make this trip.  I shipped a 120-70-19 Trailmax Mission to the hotel.  I was going to install it on Uncle tommy's bike.  It is to late to change the ship to address.  so if anyone needs a new front tire, this will be at START, 

just pay me what I paid and it is yours.  I will even mount it for you.

rounder jim

I will have 6 NGK  LMAR8D-j spark plugs there. These are new that i bought by accident for my 2022 1250 rt. These are for the 1200"s