IGNORED

Mark your calendar's ... July 24 -28.

Whip

7 hours ago, Twisties said:

so the question is, how far is the start of one of those routes from the (to be announced) hotel, and if to far, can I haul the bike to a certain point, leave the truck there and then ride the day, either a big loop, or up and back the same route

7 hours ago, Twisties said:

If the event is in Ouray, the trail to Yankee Boy/Imogene and Black Bear is just outside of town.  You can ride the bike.  Engineer and the whole alpine loop complex is a little farther....  off the top of my head 4-5 miles from town...  Oh I suppose I should look at Google....ok, Maps says 3.8 miles from the center of town to the trailhead.  My recollection is that there is plenty of parking and trailer turn around up towards Yankee Boy.  My recollection is that parking at the Engineer turnoff is limited and trailer turn around would likely require a drive up the highway (550).  These two accesses are by no means the only ones in the area, but they open a huge amount of riding that will keep you busy for the 3 days. 

Yes, we've been assuming Ouray but that's a WAG at this point or at least semi-educated one (I know how Larry thinks, sometimes : )  Yes Imogene is accessed from the south end of town but Black Bear being one way (they both end in Telluride) `the correct way to link them would be to RIDE down 550 to the start, it's a butt-numbing I3.3 miles, geesh : )

There's rig parking at Ironton where Corkscrew Gulch begins the Alpine Loop, it's 7.6 miles from Ouray, and 3.6 miles from Ouray to Engineer Pass Rd which I posted in the pic (CRI8) which has pretty limited parking. You can also get to Silverton on dirt by going thru Animas Forks or taking a right on the other side of Corkscrew then a short pavement jaunt north to Ophir Pass then a little pavement to downtown Telluride and Imogene back across to Ouray. OR, if you're really brave/an amazing rider/or just stupid : ) you can take Poughkeepsie Gulch from Engineer Rd to Hurricane or California then to Silverton..

randy:

you will be good.  should be plenty of areas to leave a truck in the target geography and infinite gorgeous off road riding from dirt highway to technical vertical.  

Imogene Ophir and engineer are worth the trip to colorado alone.   I have done Ophir on a big GS, it is not hard relatively speaking.  Pretty sure I will be doing it again on a big bike if anyone wants to follow along.  I would not take anything big on Imogene or engineer, or black bear.  Others have more extensive Alpine loop knowledge.

2 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

randy:

you will be good.  should be plenty of areas to leave a truck in the target geography and infinite gorgeous off road riding from dirt highway to technical vertical.  

Imogene Ophir and engineer are worth the trip to colorado alone.   I have done Ophir on a big GS, it is not hard relatively speaking.  Pretty sure I will be doing it again on a big bike if anyone wants to follow along.  I would not take anything big on Imogene or engineer, or black bear.  Others have more extensive Alpine loop knowledge.

ok so my G450x has about 85-100 miles per tank.  and I carry a 1/2 gallon with me. So I generally limit it to 100 miles.  I will be checking all this stuff out.

CoarsegoldKid

Looks like I'm going back to Colorado's San Juans.  Now which bike(s) becomes the next question.  The BMW may sit this one out.

• Like 4

Cindy and I will be "Jeeping" it .  Ophir and Imogene are definitely on the list plus whatever else seems interesting.  Any other Jeeps or 4X4 welcome to join.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2022 at 12:27 AM, roadscholar said:

Those are the main ones I was referring to earlier but again any loops including them will be nearly a full day from the 550 corridor S. of Ridgway (Ridgeway has no E).

Plenty of big GS friendly dirt going E out of ridgeway however.  

Looks like I am going to have to take the 650 west again from Virginia. I did part of Sam's TransAm trail and part of the Alpine loop in 2015.

IMG_1889.thumb.jpg.5515f7cbef9b234d33614380d68d255e.jpgIMG_1884.thumb.JPG.d1370f54cadd758d61b3b19b85f6c3e9.JPGIMG_1865.thumb.jpg.d15acab0830a0ea545000b65de54c754.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, dcad said:

Looks like I am going to have to take the 650 west again from Virginia. I did part of Sam's TransAm trail and part of the Alpine loop in 2015.

you gonna ride al the way out?

I plan to. I rode up to Montana in 2015 before riding back east. I made the whole trip on TKC80's

Last year I went to Montana again and went thru Washington, Oregon,California before heading east.

image.thumb.jpeg.b1a979987660ca3a1a57e587f48f6c9d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f75eda9fe3a9f9795c4ce3fe0821329f.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dcad said:

I plan to. I rode up to Montana in 2015 before riding back east. I made the whole trip on TKC80's

Last year I went to Montana again and went thru Washington, Oregon,California before heading east.

image.thumb.jpeg.b1a979987660ca3a1a57e587f48f6c9d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f75eda9fe3a9f9795c4ce3fe0821329f.jpeg

Look forward to meeting ya

• Plus 1 1
Yeeha Stephen
On 12/3/2022 at 6:54 AM, Limecreek said:

I am toying with the idea of towing the RT behind my Bronco so I can get in some off road fun too.

Both is good. Good friend Jerry James brought his Jeep/bike to Gunnison and we alternated days 4-wheeling and pavement riding. Made me want a Jeep but nah, I'll just rent one when I get the urge.

https://www.motoadrenalinetours.com/

SS

2020 CO 3.jpg

2020 CO 10.jpg

2020 CO 2 - Copy.jpg

2020 CO 9.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is there a plan to put out some GPX routes?  Just wondering.  Or maybe if no central set of routes we can set up a group drop box, and members can drop in their routes.  I have 7 routes I have created for each day I will be riding, and I would be happy to share.

Just let me know.

12 hours ago, randy said:

is there a plan to put out some GPX routes?  Just wondering.  Or maybe if no central set of routes we can set up a group drop box, and members can drop in their routes.  I have 7 routes I have created for each day I will be riding, and I would be happy to share.

Just let me know.

I've created a category " GPS Routes for 2023 UnRally" in the menu option : "Downloads".   

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 9.10.39 PM.png

Routes can be uploaded to that category ( just click on the line and follow the directions )..

This can serve as a central drop box for others to also upload routes and for all Members to Download and enjoy.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, chrisolson said:

I've created a category " GPS Routes for 2023 UnRally" in the menu option : "Downloads".   

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 9.10.39 PM.png

Routes can be uploaded to that category ( just click on the line and follow the directions )..

This can serve as a central drop box for others to also upload routes and for all Members to Download and enjoy.

That is a great plan

• 2 weeks later...

If I’m in country and available, we may come out but in our VW bus.  We would have our dog as well and spend the time hiking instead of riding this time.  After moving back to the US and not riding for 10 years basically, I seem to spend more time camping and hiking now but am gradually getting back into riding.  We just bought Melissa her first riding gear and I got a new helmet - and she helped me do all the maintenance on the RT.  She loves to ride but we also have a very attached dog that we rescued from Abu Dhabi when there - hence the VW bus and camping/hiking.

Will the hotel allow us to camp there in the bus?  No hook up required, just a place to park.  We would love to meet all the folks out that way and take part in the evening festivities if so.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2023 at 3:28 AM, SteveHebert said:

Will the hotel allow us to camp there in the bus?

I don't know about parking at the hotel, but my wife, Lisa, and I will be camping with our toy-hauler a few miles south of the lodge -- at Haviland Lake Campground.  Since reservations for the campground open 6 months before, they opened for the Unrally dates this week -- but demand is pretty high.

11 hours ago, Ken S said:

I don't know about parking at the hotel, but my wife, Lisa, and I will be camping with our toy-hauler a few miles south of the lodge -- at Haviland Lake Campground.  Since reservations for the campground open 6 months before, they opened for the Unrally dates this week -- but demand is pretty high.

Appreciate it Ken.