IGNORED

Mark your calendar's ... July 24 -28.

Whip

IN, IN, IN and my son Ryan will be joining us for the week.  First time Riding with Ryan since about 2010. It will be a blast.
My Uncle is 50/50, but Ryan and I are in :-)

and I know we have been there twice, but I still think Gunnison, CO is a winner, but not sure if Gunnison, CO is considered part of the San Juan Mountains.

The San Juans are in the SW corner of Colorado and the most spectacular of them are roughly between Ridgway-Durango along the US550 corridor and Lake City-Telluride east/west accessible by mostly steep, rocky jeep trails  The road riding within a I00 mile radius or so is some of the best anywhere for scenery and technical but there just aren't that many paved ones because of the rugged terrain so plan on some fairly long day loops or out and backs. Plenty of attendees will know where they are but once it's announced and gets closer if anyone's interested I can also point out some scenic maintained gravel roads that can be ridden on a GS/big Adv bike. There's also a plethora of dirt bike/jeep trails but most are recommended for experienced offroad riders. Here's a teaser with TEWKS heading toward Red Mountain Pass on our way to an offroad adventure one day.

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-823DRzg/A

• Like 2

I'm in.  We will make a 2-week vacation out of it.  Lived in Pagosa Springs for a short while many years ago.  Will be great to be back out that way.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

The San Juans are in the SW corner of Colorado and the most spectacular of them are roughly between Ridgway-Durango along the US550 corridor and Lake City-Telluride east/west accessible by mostly steep, rocky jeep trails  The road riding within a I00 mile radius or so is some of the best anywhere for scenery and technical but there just aren't that many paved ones because of the rugged terrain so plan on some fairly long day loops or out and backs. Plenty of attendees will know where they are but once it's announced and gets closer if anyone's interested I can also point out some scenic maintained gravel roads that can be ridden on a GS/big Adv bike. There's also a plethora of dirt bike/jeep trails but most are recommended for experienced offroad riders. Here's a teaser with TEWKS heading toward Red Mountain Pass on our way to an offroad adventure one day.

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-823DRzg/A

I will not have a small bike but can show the interested on the big pigs some beautiful non-tarmac if interested.  I will be on a GS.

• Like 2
On 11/27/2022 at 1:21 PM, randy said:

and I know we have been there twice, but I still think Gunnison, CO is a winner, but not sure if Gunnison, CO is considered part of the San Juan Mountains.

The San Juans are bordered by Telluride, Ridgeway, Ouray, Lake City, Creede, South Fork, Pagosa Springs, Durango (kinda), and Dolores (kinda).  Gunnison is about 50 miles north of Lake City and I don't consider it San Juans.  Also, the major construction on US-50 was supposed to be done now, but has been extended to July....  not clear if it will be done for the event.  It would be a major downer to be in Gunnison with that still underway.  That said, I have no idea where it will be other than what was said, San Juans.

Dual Sport riding in the area will take you to upper elevations.  I doubt if you'll be disappointed. 

KTM 640 San Juans.png

Street riding in the San Juans is not my favorite.  The million dollar highway from Ouray to Durango is certainly incredibly spectacular, but traffic has made it slow going most of the time.  Early and late hours may still allow for sporty riding.  That said, there are many great street routes accessible from the area.  Favorites are 145 through Gateway, 65 over Grand Mesa, 92 over Black Canyon, 149 through Lake City and Creede.  

roadscholar

Gunnison sits in a big flat valley bordered by the Sawatch Range and Elk Mountains to the East and North, and The La Garitas and Cochetopa Hills to the South.

10 hours ago, Twisties said:

That said, there are many great street routes accessible from the area.  Favorites are 145 through Gateway, 65 over Grand Mesa, 92 over Black Canyon, 149 through Lake City and Creede.  

Those are the main ones I was referring to earlier but again any loops including them will be nearly a full day from the 550 corridor S. of Ridgway (Ridgeway has no E). Colorado is a deceptively big state especially if you’re used to riding in the East, distances are usually greater than appearances on a map.

10 hours ago, LBump said:

Dual Sport riding in the area will take you to upper elevations.  I doubt if you'll be disappointed. 

KTM 640 San Juans.png

It is dualsport heaven but again much of it is steep, rocky, with offroad experience and a proper dirtbike required, yes a few ride big bikes on the trails but they're either lucky or really good not to be picking them up semi-regularly   It's also crowded on weekends but likely won't be as much during the week when an Unrally normally takes place. There are many places to rent Jeeps, SXS's, 4 wheelers, and dirt bikes.

Weather.. if you don't like it, wait a minute : ) which is almost accurate. One time in 2000 I was doing a loop thru Colorado on a street bike, in Montrose the bank’s thermometer read 97*, 45 minutes later it was hailing on Red Mountain Pass and the temp was probably high 20’s, in June. Also if it's overcast or even cloudy down low..

IMG_1806.JPG

it can be like this at elevation..

IMG_1717.JPG

No matter the means of getting there, the area encompasses some of the most spectacular mountain scenery anywhere in the country making it worthwhile to do whatever it takes to see it.

1095.JPG

1134.JPG

1186.JPG

1147.JPG

• Like 3
12 hours ago, LBump said:

KTM 640 San Juans.png

will local's be able to put together some TRUE dirt routes.  I have a 2009 BMW G450x dual sport.  But this bike is NOT highway capable, or really even street capable for long distance.

In general can I load the bike in the truck , go to the base of the mountains, and ride for 6 hours then come back to the truck and back to the motel?

In Georgia I trailer the G450x to Helen or to Dahlonega and then unload the bike, about a 3 mile street ride to first dirt road, then ride for 5-7 hours in the mountains and then load back up and drive home.

If I bring my G450x I would need to do the same, basically 10 miles one way is about the limit of riding this bike on the street roads. 

if any locals have GPX routes and want to send them to me, please PM me.  I would like to get an idea of how much dirt riding I could get in.

14 hours ago, Twisties said:

The San Juans are bordered by Telluride, Ridgeway, Ouray, Lake City, Creede, South Fork, Pagosa Springs, Durango (kinda), and Dolores (kinda).  Gunnison is about 50 miles north of Lake City and I don't consider it San Juans.  Also, the major construction on US-50 was supposed to be done now, but has been extended to July....  not clear if it will be done for the event.  It would be a major downer to be in Gunnison with that still underway.  That said, I have no idea where it will be other than what was said, San Juans.

thanks, my son lives in Fort Collins, CO and my wife and I have visited that area often.  So I know those towns,  thanks

Motorhead1977

I think this discussion is very informative.  The large extent (though many years ago) of my experience through the "Rockies" has been via interstate highways on a "mission" from point A to point B.  From the posts here and the videos shared it seems that in the area being discussed only about 20% to 25% of the available riding is on paved roads and most of those are "main" (Non interstate) roads/highways?  Perhaps I am misinterpreting what I am seeing.  I'll look for those who are extremely familiar with the general area to enlighten me.  TIA

• Plus 1 1
roadscholar
2 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

I think this discussion is very informative.  The large extent (though many years ago) of my experience through the "Rockies" has been via interstate highways on a "mission" from point A to point B.  From the posts here and the videos shared it seems that in the area being discussed only about 20% to 25% of the available riding is on paved roads and most of those are "main" (Non interstate) roads/highways?  Perhaps I am misinterpreting what I am seeing.  I'll look for those who are extremely familiar with the general area to enlighten me.  TIA

I'm pretty familiar with it having ridden the area extensively every Summer and Fall the past I0-I2 years. Drew up a few maps encompassing the best (paved) day routes out of Ouray (assuming it's the location but even if it isn't the routes still work).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=110mrnKbnAYX5x25ZvtpjgL8bcYmpBm0&usp=sharing

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1TaYm5NYS1SHZVONWgUK5yLtUCgDayS4&usp=sharing

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1rwCtQwhHldjyDQkaptcrvKiiLZ1lCfc&usp=sharingthat will be a long day

There are plenty of things to stop and see and places to eat on them all but one place I'd personally recommend on the Cortez route is Mesa Verde National Park, that will be a fairly long day but try to allow at least a couple hours to view the Park as it is pretty amazing. Another is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison on the Crawford route. 

14 hours ago, roadscholar said:

What roadscholar said!

No matter the means of getting there, the area encompasses some of the most spectacular mountain scenery anywhere in the country making it worthwhile to do whatever it takes to see it.

1095.JPG

Motorhead1977

@roadscholar, thank you for that effort.  I'll look at them this evening.  I expect it will help a great deal.

@LBump, I agree that the scenery is spectacular it's just that being on a 1250RS does not make unpaved road surfaces of anything beyond a very short distance an option.  Got into one of those unpaved sections while riding our former 1200RT in Quebec one summer with near disastrous results.  IMHO neither of those bikes are good tools for unpaved travel.  :)

On 11/25/2022 at 8:13 AM, Twisties said:

Well, if you put it in my backyard...

And here I thought it was MY backyard...  I should be there if the planets align

Cap

4 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

...From the posts here and the videos shared it seems that in the area being discussed only about 20% to 25% of the available riding is on paved roads ...

Don't be misled.  Yes, there is awesome off-pavement riding.  Lot's of it.  But there are also many, many, miles of fantastic twisty paved roads to experience.   And depending on your preferred length of riding day, you can loop east or west with half-day or full-day options.  And generally, the enforcement is pretty scarce and lenient between towns.  Although there is a Sheriff patrolling the Million Dollar Highway in an unmarked silver Ford pickup.  DAMHIK

Cap