IGNORED

2005 K1200S...what would wan to know before buying?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Looking at the bike this weekend and am unfamiliar with the K line and any known issues.

A cursory check on cycletrader and craigslist shows a fairly large # of mid-2000 Ks are for sale.

It has <10k miles on it.

TIA

13 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Looking at the bike this weekend and am unfamiliar with the K line and any known issues.

A cursory check on cycletrader and craigslist shows a fairly large # of mid-2000 Ks are for sale.

It has <10k miles on it.

TIA

Morning John

I didn't/don't work on many older K bikes from the 1200 era but do know some riders that had the K-1200 bikes.

The biggest problem(s), that I know of, on the K1200  were timing chain problems. BMW had a few service campaigns on retrofitting an updated oil reservoir type chain tensioner (If I remember correctly this was noise elimination deal) but could also have been part of the overall timing chain problem's reduction.  

There was also a BMW Technical Campaign (service bulletin) to install a new design timing chain guide. I'm pretty sure this is not the "BMW correct" wording but we used to refer to it as an anti-jump device to prevent the timing chain from jumping time & causing major engine damage. 

Back in the early K-1200 days there was some chatter in my riding groups  about the K-1200 having connecting rod problems but I don't personally know of anybody that had that problem, but there was enough chatter on it to be something you might want to look into. 

• Thanks 1

Morning John

The other bulletin on the anti-jump guide is    Bulletin 11 004 12 (017)   but I won't post the bulletin here on this web site due to it being BMW copyrighted information.  

• Like 1

There are transmission issues with the 05, 06, and some 07 K12s model years. The problem was the transmission would pop out of 2nd gear under heavy acceleration. Not all bikes were affected but a few shops that specialize in transmission work offered to "back cut" the gears to keep everything happy. Sorry, that's the extent of my knowledge. You has to pull the transmission then send it in, cost was $1200-$1800.

I had a '06 K12s and rode it for over 30K with no issues and believe me, that bike saw some hard acceleration because, well, it became addictive. Try lurking over at k-bikes.com. Regarding the cam chain jump guard improvement, I had it done to my bike.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Made a U turn & bought another bike.  Thanks, all.

Post pics or it didn't happen.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Bought DBull's RT posted here today...

An RT? Okay, don't bother posting pics. 

• Haha 1