IGNORED

Oil Change at 4,500 miles?

Bob_1978

4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Of course manufacturers know what they're doing and no harm could come to using their recommended oil service intervals and products. I mean they've never had issues with any other aspect of design and operation, like final drive failures or clutch cylinders failing under normal recommended use and service.........

Manufacturers can make errors, but lubrication is a pretty well known field. Until some one can provide evidence that their recommendation is in error, or even that there is a signifacntly better option, I'll stick with the owners manual.  I'm not going use a different oil or interval because some yahoo's great grandfather told him to he had to have fresh dino squeezin's weekly.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

Modern day oils will not lose 20% of their viscosity within 1500 miles. Even old single grade oil of yesterday didnt lose that much over 5000 miles. If it did the company would have gone bust years ago.

If you dont belive me, my last 35 years of being a Doctor and Lecturer of mechanical engineeing at Oxford Uni was a waste of time

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
6 hours ago, Doctor T said:

Funny the OP has stopped replying :90:

I can understand that, a lot of info has been given. But the Admiral hasn't responded either, that's where the dogpile affects, me thinks.

• Plus 1 1

It's a trap.  He is a BMW warranty rep trying to catch all you guys posting about using non-BMW recommended oil.  So far...15 warranties voided.  :)

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 4
10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

It's a trap.  He is a BMW warranty rep trying to catch all you guys posting about using non-BMW recommended oil.  So far...15 warranties voided.  :)

Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1

Wish the OP would come back and debate more.  I have a good one for him to ponder over.

Gas turbine engines never get their oil changed.  They do get oil samples taken for analysis from time to time.  🙂

8 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Wish the OP would come back and debate more.  I have a good one for him to ponder over.

Gas turbine engines never get their oil changed.  They do get oil samples taken for analysis from time to time.  🙂

It wasn't the OP that was debating the issue, OP was merely looking for advice and info. It was Admiral Denny that stepped in with debatable info, but open to no debate.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
4 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Opps, my bad to the OP. Sorry. So the Adimiral has jumped ship.🤣

Rumer has it that the Marine detachment threw him overboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
40 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

How about this recommendation

SHELL OIL TRASH CAN

My car in college changed it's on oil about every 200 miles.  Kept a case of Cooks recycled oil in the trunk along with spare retreads all the time. Oil was $.10/quart.  Aww the sight of my old chevy laying down mosquito repellant as I drive along and the musical sound of thump, thump, thump..blooey.  Of course with a case of oil and 2 spare retreads in the trunk, I could still put everything I owned in the trunk too.

image.jpeg.6825abffb2403f48af54bef6991736c7.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm the rebel. 1,100,000 BMW miles plus over 120,000 miles on Honda over 44 years at 12,000 to 15,000 oil change intervals. I have never had oil related problems and most bikes went 100,00 plus miles, 3 over 160,000 miles. This is not you fathers oil or engines.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Skywagon said:

My car in college changed it's on oil about every 200 miles.  Kept a case of Cooks recycled oil in the trunk along with spare retreads all the time. Oil was $.10/quart.  Aww the sight of my old chevy laying down mosquito repellant as I drive along and the musical sound of thump, thump, thump..blooey.  Of course with a case of oil and 2 spare retreads in the trunk, I could still put everything I owned in the trunk too.

image.jpeg.6825abffb2403f48af54bef6991736c7.jpeg

College? Probably also had room for a case or two of Coors in there too! 

9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

A friend changes oil on his semi-tractor every other week. It takes a little more than 5 quarts.

Morning  Hosstage

Is your friend using a mini-van to pull the trailer? 

Most semi-tractor's that I have worked with hold WAY more oil than 5 quarts. (like multi-gallons more) 

• Plus 1 1
11 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Hosstage

Is your friend using a mini-van to pull the trailer? 

Most semi-tractor's that I have worked with hold WAY more oil than 5 quarts. (like multi-gallons more) 

Yeah, that was a joke, it takes something like 8 gallons.

10 hours ago, Hosstage said:

A friend changes oil on his semi-tractor every other week. It takes a little more than 5 quarts.

I've no experience with semi driving, or maintenance, but just picking a tractor at random...

image.thumb.png.b266faa3480ab98600f9576ebf29ea33.png

Even with severe duty, bi-weekly oil changes would suggest he's travelling over 2100 miles a day every day of the week.

Maybe he drives for 

image.png.c8e3ff190cb2a6e1d716205093092bf5.png?

• Haha 1

I may have misunderstood him, I know it gets serviced every week, greased, lube, etc. I thought he changed oil quite often, but maybe not as often as I thought. I'm checking with him now.

He said he changes oil in his big rig every 10,000 miles. Probably a little more often than necessary, but peace of mind and no worries if he runs over due to extra busy schedule.

53 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

He said he changes oil in his big rig every 10,000 miles. Probably a little more often than necessary, but peace of mind and no worries if he runs over due to extra busy schedule.

Morning  Hosstage

A lot of those over-the-road trucks run supplemental bypass oil filters (still keeping the OEM pass-through filter) the bypass filter catches most of the smaller crud as most of the circulating engine oil passes through the bypass filter a few times per hour. A bypass filter can be more restrictive than a pass-through filter so they can catch smaller particles. 

The bypass filter in conjunction with adding additive package boosters at regular intervals will allow them to push the oil change intervals out to miles or hours of operation that are almost unbelievable. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, George S. said:

College? Probably also had room for a case or two of Coors in there too! 

You betcha...had to cross the Texas border to Ok or La back the as Coors wasn't in Texas.  Load up and sell in the dorm...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

You betcha...had to cross the Texas border to Ok or La back the as Coors wasn't in Texas.  Load up and sell in the dorm...

I also recall being happy when I received Hamms here in the East from out West. 👍🍺

Ah yes, when Coors was desired because it wasn't available.

Then I finally got to try it.

It should have stayed unavailable.

Grew up with the Hamm's brewery just a coupe miles away, every family had a member that worked there. They could drink the product at work. No way insurance let's that happen ever again. I still like a cold Hamm's now and then.

7 hours ago, Skywagon said:

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Ah yes, when Coors was desired because it wasn't available.

Then I finally got to try it.

It should have stayed unavailable.

Grew up with the Hamm's brewery just a coupe miles away, every family had a member that worked there. They could drink the product at work. No way insurance let's that happen ever again. I still like a cold Hamm's now and then.

I was a LEO in a certain NJ town that a large well known brewery was partly in that town and I would go on calls there. Their Union contract stipulated that every work station had to have a refrigerator for the workers assigned to that area to keep their “lunch” in. In every refrigerator was a small brown bag and a case or two of beer. The brewery’s “cafeteria” was a huge room with rows of heavy wood picnic tables. In the center of most tables was a functioning beer tap for the worker’s use on their breaks and lunch hour. I confess to an occasional sampling of a small amount while I was waiting around once or twice….the beer was dispensed at 31°.   I swear I only did it to survive the occasional August heat wave…….that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I imagine those days are long gone for various liability reasons. 

• Like 1

I think we are one of the few companies with more than 10 employees that still has beer in the fridge, sometimes company provided. Our holiday party still serves alcohol, drink as much as you want, they will get you and your car home. Not a good look for an employee to do it now, but there was a time it happened often. Have at it and stay safe, company will help any way they can.

Probably not a long lived practice in the future, but so far still working.