IGNORED

Hey Florida,.....how's the weather this time of year

Rougarou

Michigan Bob…it depends on speed of boat, distance to safety, and if you can find a marina to take you. Some trawlers and cruisers have a cruise speed of 7mph and top speed of maybe 15. My prior boat was 33ft with dual 7.4L V8’s. We cruised @ 25-30. It had a top speed of 55 so I could have moved out of harms way if I could find a marina to let me dock which isn’t so easy. 

Regardless of insurance, dealing with claim, getting real value, getting it repaired or replaced is a long painful journey. IMHO better to seek a safe location than deal with the aftermath. 

My boat was fully self contained. I might just go to a a safe spot and stay on the boat until clear. I could easily live on it for a week before needing to get water, pump out, fuel for genset, etc

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I dunno, not my world......but does seem odd that if'n someone is gonna pay six, seven digits for a toy, that it can't be left in place when a storm be a'coming and insured against it, that a person would have to make a choice in "what" to move.

At least cable down the wingtips.  I'm not ignorant about hurricane winds (i.e. US Navy, four Typhoons to my credit, including one in which the eye passed over the ship), but it looks as though these aircraft were not properly secured.   The boats are tough problem, if it's moored at a pier in the path of a storm surge, neither the boat nor the pier may survive.  Heck, even getting them out of the water (e.g. in Fort Myers) won't help unless you're high enough above sea level, and I believe I once read that no place in Florida is higher than I dunno, 30 feet, 60, 90 feet?  Something like that.  Finding high ground to store your boat might be a 200 mile drive. 

Man, my heart goes out to these Floridians.  To those who may be in the thick of this, God Bless, and hang in there. 

edit; I see David answered my question, i.e. tying down a light plane would simply leave it shredded anyhow.  Nothing short of a storm proof bunker would protect them, and then, if there's a flood surge, it won't make any difference anyhow.

1 hour ago, MichiganBob said:

Or is that a dumb idea?

The US Navy routinely sorties for major storms, and rides it out at sea.  Docks and moorings can tear apart the side of a ship in a storm like this.  There's really no safe place other than at sea.  

The only thing is, how big is your boat?   Unless it's fully seagoing, not a weekend cruiser, heading out to see during a Hurricane is foolish, or takes some major stones.  You'd better know what you're doing.

• Like 1

Yup, it would have to be sea worthy for sure. I've read that the gulf is fairly shallow in some spots quite a distance from the shoreline making it possible to drop a few anchors. I'm sure there are a host of reasons why these boats were left in the eye of a hurricane.  To date myself, "there are eight million stories in the naked city,"

Scott...good thought on cable down the airplane, but the chances it would damage the spar are about 100%.  That would likely total it.  It's why you see most planes tied down outside with rope so they will have some give.  There are some old schools that use chain, but that is asking for trouble.  

Here is a picture of my last airplane landing in Napa before we moved back to Texas.  I miss the old girl, but it was time.

Picture 008.jpg

• Like 1

So, last weekend I started paying attention to the tracking of this hurrycane.  Monday, I concluded by those models that it was gonna come our way here in NC, so, I made my preparations.

Tuesday after work I cut the grass real low, Wednesday after work I did a sweep of the lawn, then put down some Tenacity, today I stopped at Lowes after work and picked up a couple hunnerd $$ in grass seed.  While checking out, the Lowes guy ask me "what was going on, grass seed has been selling like crazy today. all day".  I replied, "dude, it's seeding season and we about to get about five days of free lawn watering",....he's like "oh".  Lady in front of me had a single five pound bag, looks at my cart and says "you must have a big yard",.....I says to her, "this is just part of the front",......

Anyway, that's my hurrycane story,.......

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Hoping that you're all safe with only minor inconvenience.  Having been thru a few hurricanes, I can understand the fears/emotions/trauma.

Thanks John, we were lucky, it could've been a lot worse. There’s a bunch of tree debris everywhere and my power went out 3 times several hours each plus some houses were damaged by trees in other parts of town but nothing like down south or even central Fla. Although downtown St Augustine flooded pretty good, the beach and part of the dunes in Ponte Vedra disappeared (it's expensive beach : ) and the Flagler Beach pier had a good run for 100 years but it appears Ian did it in..

The one ‘cool’ thing is the temps dropped 15 or 20 degrees, there was some kind of inversion or something that caught the weather men off guard. It was in the 50’s on the west side of the river and Palatka this afternoon, normal is 85-90, 75-80 with a storm.

Good luck to anyone up the coast still in the path, think its down to a cat one now but Fla will remember this one for awhile.

• Plus 1 1
On 9/28/2022 at 2:47 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Lots of worse stuff is happening to people and this owner likley will get a check from the insurance co, but this hurts to see.

image.png.8b6b5238b87a2d9dc5a243ccaba4d21e.png

CyberTruck owners needn’t worry   about floods. (Your experience may vary). 

John Ranalletta
On 9/29/2022 at 9:18 AM, taylor1 said:

Looking at the destruction of these high-end vehicles,planes,boats,ect. sure takes the pressure off of not being a multi-millionare  LOL

@taylor1 you guys ok?

@lawnchairboy you guys high ‘n dry?

9 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

@taylor1 you guys ok?

A couple of days with 40 + winds a lot of rain and some minor flooding.

My heart goes out to the Floridians that got slammed

• Like 2
John Ranalletta

I often say, hurricane events have 3 phases people go through.

1. Anxiety phase - the prep days leading up to a storm
2. Terrifying phase - going through the storm
3. Indescribable phase - the weeks, months, years of recovery.

Many lives have been changed forever. :cry:

• Like 1
lawnchairboy

couple of trees down in the 'hood.  lost power for several hours yesterday.  lots of tree debris.  pretty minor.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got lucky. It veered east about 25 miles south of us. There are lots of good people stepping up to the plate to help. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

image.png.36d7e59850db0774db040ebff9adc4ab.png

Heck, I give kudo's to the one holding the camera.  Either he/she/it's a blithering idiot, or they've got big brass one's, maybe both.

John Ranalletta

123 weeks backlog on rough weather transformers.

Crews have to work backwards from each area of damage back to the sub stations.

Damaged and downed transformers leaked oil. Repairs can’t start until the oil’s cleaned up.

Some residents abusing crews because they’re not working fast enough (idiot residents).  

John Ranalletta
18 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

"Idiots?"  As my father would comment, " You don't say."

A crew was marshalling in the early morning as one resident yelled, "Why aren't you working?".  One of the crew yelled, "Thanks for the input".

• Like 1

Last major storm to hit here was a few years ago and we lost power for almost 3 weeks. One of the local restaurant owners had a big pig cooker brought into the front of her lot. Every day she would fire it up and cook food for anyone that was hungry. No charge. By law she was not allowed to prepare anything inside, and all of the food was donated. Before power was back on, someone donated a hundred steaks. I helped her cook them one evening and they were only for the line workers and first responders. The line workers here were praised and worked long days to get us power. It was much appreciated

• Like 3

The linemen (and women) are an incredible group of skilled, hard working technicians, they answer the call at all hours of the day and night working under extremely adverse and dangerous conditions. They willingly go into areas long term that have no water, no heat, no AC, nothing, and get people back up and running. Anyone that gives them any grief at all should be pushed down the stairs.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

The linemen (and women) are an incredible group of skilled, hard working technicians, they answer the call at all hours of the day and night working under extremely adverse and dangerous conditions. They willingly go into areas long term that have no water, no heat, no AC, nothing, and get people back up and running. Anyone that gives them any grief at all should be pushed down the stairs.

When we went down for Hurricane Laura, we fed several of them and gave them plenty of the donated bug juice.  Those folks deserve much, much more