IGNORED

Hey Florida,.....how's the weather this time of year

Rougarou

Seriously, saw that the little windstorm may bump up to a Cat V, so you all down in the path, if ya ain't out by now, buckle up, it's gon' be a doosey.

Got some friends from the PNW stopping by on their way to Orlando for a vacation; they were going to stop by for a couple days but I think they may hang out for a while longer:lurk:

Thanks for the thought Dave, but it looks like the panhandle of Florida, the Tallahassee area, is going to be nothing more than a little wind and rain from the outer bands.  I have a daughter and father who are in Orlando who will be in the thick of it, but not as bad as the people on the west coast.  They will be slammed.......

• Like 2
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Really bad.  WH closed.

They are not closed, it is their new decorations.:4617:

It should be good riding weather by Saturday.

• Like 1

We experienced hurricane Ike in 2008 and Harvey in 2017.  We were without power for 11 days with Ike.  Although Harvey was magnitudes of order worse than Ike we fared better damage wise.  Harvey dumped 52 inches of rain on my street in 48 hours.  We were the only house on my street that did not flood.  Water got about 3 ft from the front door.  Every house on my block was heavily damaged and took a year or more to get recovered.  I know what they are going to experience.  Tens of thousands of people lost everything,  What wasn't washed or blown away was mostly bulldozed due to mold and other issues.  There are still parts of Houston under repair.

To our friends in Florida...I wish you all the best.  Stay safe.  You have a long road ahead, but all the material things can be and will be corrected in time.  I have a BIL in St Pete.  We haven't been able to get a hold of him today.  He elected to stay at a local church.

• Sad 1

If we learned anything from the pandemic, it's that we have very little control. But that's a tough pill to swallow. As I was saying to Brad, when I lived in Kansas, we dealt with tornadoes, high winds, dust storms; when I was in New Hampshire there was mud season, black fly season, mosquito season, ice storms; when I lived in Salt Lake City, there was a 45 day inversion that left nasty brown streaks on my windshield every morning; yup there's hurricanes, tropical storms, draught, blizzards, floods, mudslides .... it's nature. Maybe we should all move to Minot. 

I picked a hell of a time to buy a double wide in the Sarasota area last year to escape Michigan winters. Ahhh ... insurance.

Feeling bad for those folks. Like all disasters, it will take months if not years to recover from this one. 

19 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Lots of worse stuff is happening to people and this owner likley will get a check from the insurance co, but this hurts to see.

image.png.8b6b5238b87a2d9dc5a243ccaba4d21e.png

Nautilus. That’s a sad sight for a car guy.

John Ranalletta
31 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Probably one of the few cars it might make sense to completely dis and reassemble. 

Makes me think the owner might have wanted the insurance money. If they truly treasured the vehicle, you would think they would have taken it inland to safer ground  :dontknow:

• Plus 1 2
John Ranalletta
28 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

A car that good should be garaged, I would think.  Yeah, smells fishy to me.  

A 2nd story garage?  Many will rent hotel rooms just to get an above ground parking space.  IMO, just a result of laziness or ignorance.

16 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Mostly carbon fiber & aluminum, no?  I don't know but just supposin'.

Water inside the motor and trans. Insurance will total it then somebody will buy it from Copart, rebuild, get a salvage title and sell it to someone way out of state.

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I cannot for the life of me understand someone leaving a high end and/or rare auto or motorcycle to the risk of flooding.   Maybe the owner was out of town on business, and had no way to get it out of harms way, but heck, HIRE someone to tow the dang thing somewhere.

• Plus 1 1

I heard one reporter on the Caloosahatchie River earlier say a big yacht came by headed east toward Lake Okeechobee, problem is the storm did too.  

In other news my power’s been out a couple hours and we’re just getting 35-40mph wind but there are a lot of old trees out this way.

I did pick up one of my small Honda generators from a buddy earlier to run some ancillary stuff if needed, we’ll see if jea can get the problem solved, they’re well past the projected window so far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I did pick up one of my small Honda generators

I bought a whole house Generac about 12 years or so ago. It was worth every penny when we lost power for 2 weeks after Florence a couple years back.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
11 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

A car that good should be garaged, I would think.  Yeah, smells fishy to me.  

'tis only a car, nothing more than a mode of transport

10 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I cannot for the life of me understand someone leaving a high end and/or rare auto or motorcycle to the risk of flooding.   Maybe the owner was out of town on business, and had no way to get it out of harms way, but heck, HIRE someone to tow the dang thing somewhere.

What's more important, you, your family and their lives or an inanimate object that is insured for repair or replacement?  I know for my and my wife's family when Rita hit as well as with Laura, they were no more concerned about their toys so much as ensuring that they were in a safer place.

Of course, my sister in law lost her house completely, but after her tears, she looked on the bright side and what a designed rebuild would look like.  In the end, she didn't rebuild, but bought another house after here's was totaled and the claims were settled.

1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

I bought a whole house Generac about 12 years or so ago. It was worth every penny when we lost power for 2 weeks after Florence a couple years back.

When we went down to help for Hurricane Laura, one of my wife's sisters had a whole house Generac,......I thought I's gonna be primitive living again, but nope, we had A/C after the days work.  That house was the gathering place for the nightly feast.  

Her only issue was that she couldn't power the dryer with the HVAC running, so the dryer was run when everybody was gone during the day.  She just needed a wee bit more KW's,....I think hers was a 24k.

The insurance on my boat and my airplane before I sold it, excluded coverage if I didn’t move them out of harms way if a hurricane was forecast with at least 72 hours notice.

Thats pretty common in coastal communities. Those who may not have read their policies may be in for a surprise. I doubt that exclusion applies to high end cars/bikes. 

Sooo, these people just "write off" their toys,.......

Damage reported after Hurricane Ian triggers dozens of Tornado WarningsA boat sways in shallow water as Hurricane Ian approaches a neighborhood in St. Petersburg, Fla.Hurricane Ian bring tornadoes, tropical storm force winds, flooding to ...Before the arrival of Hurricane Ian, a tornado hit a Florida airport ...

Seems an odd way to own a toy.  Hmmm, move family or do I move my airplane and boat and car.  72hrs ain't that long in the big scheme of things.

I guess its the price you pay if you wanna have high value toys.

I do know that you can't get home insurance once a storm is "named",.......my father in law let his homeowners lapse and the sisters tried to get insurance, but was too late, the storm was named.  He ended up getting one of those ultra low interest after storm FEMA loans to repair the roof damage.

2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

whole house Generac

First thing we added to our new house.......:18:

This makes three houses we've put them in....worth every penny.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
51 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Sooo, these people just "write off" their

Don’t know.. depends on their insurance. Florida knew this was coming for a week or more. When Ike was coming I took my airplane fro Houston to Dallas. That is about an hour flight. The boat I had at the time was not trailerable.. too big so it was covered

That upside down blue airplane looks like it belongs to Civil Air Patrol. CAP is funded and is an auxiliary of USAF. I’ve been in CAP since 1992. If I remember correctly USAF is self insured or the first few million.. common. My company was self insured for first $50million

Just a quick search, I found that some insurance companies for boats and planes give "prep" to do prior to a hurricane.  It looks like that one would need a "hurricane" policy specific, kinda like having "flood" insurance,......it's not "included" on the general insurance policy.

I dunno, not my world......but does seem odd that if'n someone is gonna pay six, seven digits for a toy, that it can't be left in place when a storm be a'coming and insured against it, that a person would have to make a choice in "what" to move.

Small GA airplanes like in your picture can be blown over in as little as 40mph. They don’t stand a chance in a big blow. If insurance didn’t have a move policy then the whole fleet tied down outside would be wiped out. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Small GA airplanes like in your picture can be blown over in as little as 40mph. They don’t stand a chance in a big blow. If insurance didn’t have a move policy then the whole fleet tied down outside would be wiped out. 

These guys recommend you moving your airplane, but goes on to state recommendations if you don't, which include the type of coverage, amount and if you have hurricane move insurance.  Doesn't say your plane won't be covered if you leave it.

Like I said, not my world, but looks like insurance for planes can be had for your ability to leave your plane on the ground with an impending storm.

I'm just wondering if  I had a big fancy boat and no place to protect it if I would have gone west in the gulf a few miles with the hope of avoiding Ian.