IGNORED

Dealers not servicing over 10 year old bikes??

bimmers

Yeah, road salt in the NE.  What a joke!  Montana began using road salt and as it was explained to me it was because many people that have relocated there insist upon being able to drive extremely fast all year long.  If I was running the show those people would either slow it down and learn to drive or they could pound sand simple as that!  I wouldn't mind living in the NE at all if they would cease with the salt.  In fact the way things are going here in OR with the massive influx of geniuses from that golden paradise south of here I'm sure road salt will become the norm in winter.  In the day I used to keep two rear wheels with chains mounted and ready to go when it snowed.  Was sometimes a pain in the a** but it made more sense than expecting the government to wipe my a**.  It's what you call being self reliant and personally responsible.  Those days are long gone!  End of pointless rant!

7 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Yeah, road salt in the NE.  What a joke!  Montana began using road salt and as it was explained to me it was because many people that have relocated there insist upon being able to drive extremely fast all year long.  If I was running the show those people would either slow it down and learn to drive or they could pound sand simple as that!  I wouldn't mind living in the NE at all if they would cease with the salt.  In fact the way things are going here in OR with the massive influx of geniuses from that golden paradise south of here I'm sure road salt will become the norm in winter.  In the day I used to keep two rear wheels with chains mounted and ready to go when it snowed.  Was sometimes a pain in the a** but it made more sense than expecting the government to wipe my a**.  It's what you call being self reliant and personally responsible.  Those days are long gone!  End of pointless rant!

My buddy in Maine says the liquid stuff they use now is even worse than the salt!   And same here in Charlotte ... everyone wants to go fast no matter what the road conditions.   In those rare times we get snow here I get off the road ASAP ...not because of the snow but because of the idiots who can't drive in it! 

7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

My buddy in Maine says the liquid stuff they use now is even worse than the salt!   And same here in Charlotte ... everyone wants to go fast no matter what the road conditions.   In those rare times we get snow here I get off the road ASAP ...not because of the snow but because of the idiots who can't drive in it! 

Magnesium chloride. It's used here in CO and is seriously nasty and hard to clean off of metal parts.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, beemerboy said:

Magnesium chloride. It's used here in CO and is seriously nasty and hard to clean off of metal parts.

Yep .. that's what he says!   Make a mess out of the paint! 

Yup, mag chloride.  Washington State sprays it on a couple hours before an expected storm.  Supposed to be only 25% as corrosive as road salt.  The heavy truck guys hated it because it attacks aluminum wiring.  A bit more expensive as well.  I should mention that they do add a liquid corrosion inhibiter to the mix which I think helps a lot.  WashDOT has the bucks.

A couple years ago ODOT  began salting I5 from the California boarder to Ashland (15 miles)which is the first town you come to in Oregon at the base of the Siskiyou Mountains.  Reason they did it was the dip sticks from that golden state of mind couldn't slow it down when they entered Oregon from CA and were having some dandy wrecks and threatening to sue the state and anybody else they could think of.  Salt is used very sparingly on mostly I84 and I5 in spots only when absolutely necessary and for the most part doesn't cause corrosion problems.  Mostly what they use is sand and crushed lava rock which sometimes chips your windshield.

7 hours ago, JamesW said:

mag chloride.  Washington State sprays it

Oh yeah...... The monthly unlimited car wash got my business! Had to get that stuff off quickly.

MN uses salt and liquid, but not much sand anymore, nice in the spring that it's not all built up on corners, but doesn't help with the trucks that get stuck going up mild grades on the freeway when it's too cold for the salt to work, or hasn't had a chance to do its job.

Cars get so rusty here it's comical. We do not have yearly auto safety inspections, as 50% of the cars would not pass. I had one truck break in half due to frame rust, 20 years old, ran great, everything worked perfect, except for the giant rust holes, and that frame thing. I keep my vehicles as long as possible, they are worth nothing when I'm done with them. Even my bikes get rusty in spots because I ride all year long when possible, so they get a bit salted at times, tough to spray them off when it's 20°F. 

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Cars get so rusty here it's comical. We do not have yearly auto safety inspections, as 50% of the cars would not pass. I had one truck break in half due to frame rust, 20 years old, ran great, everything worked perfect, except for the giant rust holes, and that frame thing. I keep my vehicles as long as possible, they are worth nothing when I'm done with them. Even my bikes get rusty in spots because I ride all year long when possible, so they get a bit salted at times, tough to spray them off when it's 20°F. 

I had some wood delivered years ago for our woodstove.  Guys showed up in 80's Toyota that was "bent" in the middle,.....rusting away.  A few months later, I saw that same Toy on craigslist.

Those 22re engines are hard to kill and well worth it,....but they came wrapped with Toyota steel:(

5 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I had some wood delivered years ago for our woodstove.  Guys showed up in 80's Toyota that was "bent" in the middle,.....rusting away.  A few months later, I saw that same Toy on craigslist.

Those 22re engines are hard to kill and well worth it,....but they came wrapped with Toyota steel:(

I wouldn't say "wrapped", more like loosely draped.

• Smile 1
48 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I wouldn't say "wrapped", more like loosely draped.

HA!  I have always said the Toyota trucks has great engines but the bodies were crap!   The engines would run for ever but the bodies just disintegrate.

A buddy in Minnesota buys a monthly pass to Mr. Car Wash and takes his vehicles there a couple times a week.   Crazy stuff! 

• Like 1

I try to wash the wife's car often in winter (3 years old now). My truck gets it every now and then, 21 years old, rusty as hell, but nice new brake system including lines, because, rust. Worse, my truck mostly sits for a month at a time, rotting away in the driveway (1500 miles a year put on it). The thought of spending almost $50,000 for a new one is just disheartening.

For reference, 8-10 thousand miles a year on the bikes. One of them is 22 years old already, seems like just yesterday when I brought it home all shiny and new! Even the "new" one is 11 years old. Thank goodness for good local independent shops that still work on them.

• Plus 1 1