IGNORED

Plexus Alternatives

MichiganBob

18 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Or .... you can buy 12 cans on Amazon for $60 or $5 a can and just get a few friends to share the purchase.   Heck you could have them sent to START and distribute them there.:18: 

Amazon bulk pricing is now $145 for 12 cans of Original Bike Spirits Spray Polish

On 11/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, konacyclist said:

I love the t-shirt tip. I'm doing that this morning. I used to use damp Bounty paper towels or small terry cloth towels but the t-shirt suggestion is a much better choice. Being that I wear x-large t-shirts they cover the entire windshield too!

Lou

2022 R1250RT

2020 Zero SR/S Premium

Paper towels/service station towels may be good for soaking.  Do not use them to rub anything off your plastic bits, and this especially applies to helmet shields.  As a automotive detailer described it to me, 'would you clean your wind screen with a 2x4? Well a paper towel is simply a 2x4 ground up into smaller pieces.  They are just as abrasive as a chunk of wood.

• Like 1

Don't forget to check with your local dealer.  I just got a can with my club discount for $10.84 at my BMW dealer.  I know it's not $6.25 a can but one can lasts me a while. 

• Like 1

Yup …. That’s where I usually get mine as they take good care of me.  Heck it was my use of the stuff that enticed them to stock it.  And,  while not as good a deal it also comes in smaller spray cans that are perfect for carrying on the bike 

I start with a spritz of Peroxide in a spray bottle to dissolve the bug crap, then Brillianize which was recommended by someone on the forum. Have a stack of microfiber towels from Amazon. Looks good enough for me. All I need is a Plexus scented candle. 

1 hour ago, BMW_Ken said:

Excellent!

Amazon pricing has been all over the place on the case price, as you both point out. Last June, the Bumbling BackRoad Riders purchased 7 cases from Amazon for $56.99 (+tax) each. But we needed 8 cases. Finding a comparable price for another case was impossible.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, MichiganBob said:

We need a chemist to chime in and explain to us what is the Plexis secret ingredient. Then we can look for this in other sprays.

Made with the tears of elves?

1Speaking of Plexus, originally one of the ideas we had was to give everybody the very small bottle of plexus. But I couldn't find it anywhere, and when I called the manufacturer, the owner told me they were no longer making that size because they couldn't get it produced for a reasonable cost. I think the small bottle was somewhere around $7 a bottle. It's a shame, because that was the perfect size bottle to fit in the tank bag.

• Like 1

That brings back a memory Indy Dave. I'm trying to remember years back when we were at some event, either a rally, dealer party, or motorcycle race and they were giving out handfuls of little Plexus bottles, probably 1-2 ounces. That sure seems like a long time ago now.

3 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Last June, the Bumbling BackRoad Riders purchased 7 cases

I forgot all about that. Cleaned my screen quite a few times since then, but that's it. Decided to go for a ride today and thought I'd try to spiff up the old gal before I left. Went to the shelf and there it was... I am really surprised how well it worked. Easily removed all the 6-month-old bugs and put a shine back on her. Thanks again Dave !!!!!
Now if it would just quit raining

• Like 1
7 hours ago, taylor1 said:

I forgot all about that. Cleaned my screen quite a few times since then, but that's it. Decided to go for a ride today and thought I'd try to spiff up the old gal before I left. Went to the shelf and there it was... I am really surprised how well it worked. Easily removed all the 6-month-old bugs and put a shine back on her. Thanks again Dave !!!!!
Now if it would just quit raining

So why don't we try and get a bunch for START??  I am happy to front the cost if someone will deliver the stuff. 

Like the Castrol Oil ... while ether price varies between now and April I am sure we can get it for around $6 a can.

Or I can check with my dealer on the small travel friendly size ... I know they normally sell for about $5 but buying a case or 2 might get a discount. 

Whacha thinK??

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
On 11/4/2022 at 12:32 AM, Red said:

Paper towels/service station towels may be good for soaking.  Do not use them to rub anything off your plastic bits, and this especially applies to helmet shields.  As a automotive detailer described it to me, 'would you clean your wind screen with a 2x4? Well a paper towel is simply a 2x4 ground up into smaller pieces.  They are just as abrasive as a chunk of wood.

I wasn't suggesting that people should use paper towels to clean their windshield, only to lay wet paper towels over their bug encrusted windscreen to soften the bugs. However, a thoroughly wet Bounty paper towel is pretty harmless. I have yet to damage a face shield when used with care. I have a lot of really old unscratched face shields too.

• Like 1

So, here’s a less costly alternative – Zep vinyl window cleaner.  Some time ago, we installed EZ Breeze windows in our screened in porch – the kind that slide up and down on tracks that allow you to close off or open the porch and get more seasonal use.  They are fantastic and as clear as glass, but get dirty with rain and weather.  The EZ Breeze brand of cleaner was ridiculously expensive, so I found this at Home Depot.  A bottle was $10 or so – but wait – a full case of 12 bottles was only $34!!  So, I now have a case of this stuff in my garage.

After pondering a bit on the Plexus topic, and reading the approved uses of the Zep (like all plastics and window tinting), I tried it this weekend on my dirty RT.  It worked great.  It cleaned better than the Meguiar’s Qwik Detailer, didn’t have that petroleum smell like Original Bike Spirits and, well, cleaned all the plastic and metal exceptionally well.  It also has a nice smell, although not as nice as Plexus.  Even with the annual window cleaning, I think I have enough product for another 500 or more bike cleanings (or the equivalent of a hundred years or so).

ZEP 32 oz. Vinyl Window Cleaner (Case of 12) ZUGVT32 - The Home Depot

zep.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

So, here’s a less costly alternative – Zep vinyl window cleaner.  Some time ago, we installed EZ Breeze windows in our screened in porch – the kind that slide up and down on tracks that allow you to close off or open the porch and get more seasonal use.  They are fantastic and as clear as glass, but get dirty with rain and weather.  The EZ Breeze brand of cleaner was ridiculously expensive, so I found this at Home Depot.  A bottle was $10 or so – but wait – a full case of 12 bottles was only $34!!  So, I now have a case of this stuff in my garage.

After pondering a bit on the Plexus topic, and reading the approved uses of the Zep (like all plastics and window tinting), I tried it this weekend on my dirty RT.  It worked great.  It cleaned better than the Meguiar’s Qwik Detailer, didn’t have that petroleum smell like Original Bike Spirits and, well, cleaned all the plastic and metal exceptionally well.  It also has a nice smell, although not as nice as Plexus.  Even with the annual window cleaning, I think I have enough product for another 500 or more bike cleanings (or the equivalent of a hundred years or so).

ZEP 32 oz. Vinyl Window Cleaner (Case of 12) ZUGVT32 - The Home Depot

zep.jpg

Not interested in the Vinyl Window Cleaner but interested in the EZ Breeze windows.  We have a large screened porch and are considering the same type screen replacements.

Hey you learn the best stuff on motorcycle sites. :-)