IGNORED

Plexus Alternatives

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

I was getting my bike ready for a trip tonight and found a can of Plexus I had stashed away some time back.  I stopped buying this product when it tripled in price. But when I used it tonight I thought, wow this is really good stuff.  Has anyone found an alternative that's as good or close to Plexus but reasonably priced?

Yes. ClearView from AvLab. They also do great oil analysis and trending. ClearView is $10.50 a can. Not sure on shipping as they are local to me

30F57553-D49F-4C1D-B6DF-A194AA3E62B2.png

You coulda got you a supply of this stuff some time ago.  I did, and let me tell you, for as often as I clean my bikes, 8oz is lasting a looonnnngggg time, my little jug is still almost full ;)

Clear View is a winner but if you can't get it local shipping is a down side

This stuff works well and you can get it at the Honda dealer 

20220715_081958.thumb.jpg.1c1ba8d10c6209aa11bc22204e42bf3b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

I use the Honda cleaner all over the bike vs. washing. Works great. They even sell it at my BMW dealer

If you really want something local, I’ve used Pledge on airplane plastic windows for decades. Works great

• Like 3

At $30 - 35 per can for Plexus, well they're off the list.  It can't be that much better..., though the smell is intoxicating so maybe it's worth the extra cost. :rofl: Nope...

Pledge, SC-1, Honda Polish etc., all at reasonable price point.

• Haha 1
RandyShields

Novus 1 plastic polish.  $4 for an 8 oz. bottle, and you can get gigantic refill bottles for $20.  Lasts for years and works great.  But, doesn't smell as good as Plexus . . . .

• Like 2

Motul has a couple of products for plastics, Motul Shine & Go and E10 Shine & Go Spray. Never used them and don't know the cost, just another alternative maybe.

MichiganBob

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm sure these alternatives will do just fine. I can get three of the Honda spray from Amazon for less than one Plexus.

Can I afford Plexus? Yup. But there is a principle here. Some BMW parts are crazy expensive but necessary so you close your eyes, grimace, and do it. But when something might be nice but not necessary, the game changes. I love Blanton's bourbon but it has become very very hard to find and the price is very very inflated. I was in Springfield last year for the races. Asked at the local liquor store and he had a bottle in the "back room." Uh oh. Price was 202.00. Original price is 56.00. I declined. For that money, I could get four bottles of Wolford Reserve Double Oaked which is absolutely delicious. Principle.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm sure these alternatives will do just fine. I can get three of the Honda spray from Amazon for less than one Plexus.

Can I afford Plexus? Yup. But there is a principle here. Some BMW parts are crazy expensive but necessary so you close your eyes, grimace, and do it. But when something might be nice but not necessary, the game changes. I love Blanton's bourbon but it has become very very hard to find and the price is very very inflated. I was in Springfield last year for the races. Asked at the local liquor store and he had a bottle in the "back room." Uh oh. Price was 202.00. Original price is 56.00. I declined. For that money, I could get four bottles of Wolford Reserve Double Oaked which is absolutely delicious. Principle.

Afternoon Bob

Just be somewhat careful in what you use as the stock BMW windshields have a special coating to protect the plastic.  Once you scratch, damage, or put swirls in that coating then that can't be repaired of even buffed out.  

MichiganBob

Morning DR. Thanks for the heads-up on that. Running an aftermarket windshield so not sure about any needed precautions.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:22 AM, MikeB60 said:

Clear View is a winner but if you can't get it local shipping is a down side

This stuff works well and you can get it at the Honda dealer 

20220715_081958.thumb.jpg.1c1ba8d10c6209aa11bc22204e42bf3b.jpg

I believe the story goes that Honda changed their formula for one reason or another years back, accompanied by great rider protest, and that formula ended up in the below product.  One spray lets you know they at least got the scent right.  I still have a can of Plexus still working (almost gone) with a price of $8.19 on the can.  Relic.

d97c76a1ed40a7f2e82845f6da757dd8_470x.jp

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Bob

Just be somewhat careful in what you use as the stock BMW windshields have a special coating to protect the plastic.  Once you scratch, damage, or put swirls in that coating then that can't be repaired of even buffed out.  

If it does have a special coating, the 06 RT's hasn't been affected.  Everything from Rain-x to WD-40 has been sprayed on that windscreen and it's still clear, no yellowing, no swirls.....but then again, it's not cleaned that often as I let the rain wash the yuck away

A friend that flies airplanes suggested Protect All to me some years ago - that is what they use on their windshields. It is basically liquid Carnauba wax so its safe for windshields and faceshields. I've been using it for years with no issues. You can usually find it at Walmart in the RV section. 

Bugs slide right off and the rain never sticks. And $12 for a 16oz bottle, pretty good deal. 

Protect All

• Like 1

Thanks Jim. Never heard of that one. It’s bug season in S. Texas and they are darn hard to get off. Will give it a whirl. This is what the car looks like after 2 hour drive. Not my car just a picture. 

72252510-3496-4B6F-995D-C25888A0EBB7.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Somewhere I have a can of a spray-on film that goes on thick and clear first, then peels off taking bug guts and dirt with it while protecting the finish.  Don't know about windshields, tho.  Bought it in Valdosta, Lowndes County, GA, former Speed Trap Capital of the World during LuvBug season a year or two ago.  I think they invented speed traps just for yankee tourists on the way to FL.  And yes, they named it for me.

Too late for the caddy.

Edited by Lowndes
facts
2 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Bought it in Valdosta, Lowndes County, GA, former Speed Trap Capital of the World.  I think they invented speed traps just for yankee tourists on the way to FL.  And yes, they named it for me.

You must be thinking about Ludowici, GA when it comes to speed traps.   Yes, Lowndes, Valdosta counts, too.

Valdosta taught Ludowici how to do it.  Way before the interstates, too.  

Remind me to tell you about the speeding ticket I got in Ludowici in a Diesel VW Rabbit and how to get out of speeding tickets.

• Thinking 1
Brodiepunker18

Rosendale, Wi is the speed trap capital. That is the one place I NEVER go above the posted limit no matter what I’m driving…

and I will DEFINITELY be looking into one or more of these products. I’m tired of cleaning the bugs off after every ride. 🙄

• Haha 1
MichiganBob

Spray bottle of peroxide is great for removing bug junk. I've yet to see any negative effects since i started using it many years ago.  Something in it really attacks organic matter.

• Like 2
On 7/16/2022 at 10:24 AM, Jake said:

I believe the story goes that Honda changed their formula for one reason or another years back, accompanied by great rider protest, and that formula ended up in the below product

California EPA was the reason, and they didn't want to make two formulas......:java:

I've used Lemon Pledge on all my bikes for years: windshields, fairings and helmet visors.  Cheap, works great, does no damage, and you get that lemony fragrance:classic_biggrin:

For traveling, I take a pack of Pledge Wipes and a microfiber cloth.

Plexus is a great product and I used it for years in my aviation career, but when you add the words "aviation" to a product you get to charge outlandish prices.  To be fair, a lot of that cost is liability insurance, but still....

I was blessed that my wife’s cousin (twice removed😜) owned an independent motorcycle/jet-ski repair shop. I bought 4 large cans of Plexus at a buddy buddy price. I still have 2 1/2 cans left and covet it like gold as her cousin’s shop has since closed. 

• Like 3

All Kleer for windscreen, helmet shield, plastic headlamps/taillamps. Used to find it on Amazon but now mostly airplane supply stores, used for airplane canopies, but also motorcycle and other plastic screen.

All Kleer

On 7/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, Grouchy said:

I've used Lemon Pledge on all my bikes for years: windshields, fairings and helmet visors.  Cheap, works great, does no damage, and you get that lemony fragrance:classic_biggrin:

A cheap alternative I've used for the last 8 years for exteriors: Sprayaway Glass cleaner from Costco.  Foams up and smells nice

7 hours ago, BendBill said:

A cheap alternative I've used for the last 8 years for exteriors: Sprayaway Glass cleaner from Costco.  Foams up and smells nice

Is it ok for windscreen as well? 

On 7/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, Jake said:

I believe the story goes that Honda changed their formula for one reason or another years back, accompanied by great rider protest, and that formula ended up in the below product.  One spray lets you know they at least got the scent right.  I still have a can of Plexus still working (almost gone) with a price of $8.19 on the can.  Relic.

d97c76a1ed40a7f2e82845f6da757dd8_470x.jp

+1 ..... I have tried them all and suffer from severe OCD on my vehicles and this stuff is the best I have found.   It is the ORIGINAL Honda formula and works on any surface.  I never leave home without it. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:10 AM, 9Mary7 said:

California EPA was the reason, and they didn't want to make two formulas......:java:

Correct and the Original Bike Spirits is the original Honda formula.   I met the guys who originated the product at the Honda Hoot the year it was introduced.  I told them I was a big fan of the Honda stuff since that was originally introduced but the new "California approved" formula sucked.  They replied "we can't really comment but we can tell you if you liked the Original Honda product you will REALLY REALY love this stuff"  They were correct.  It even smells like the original Honda product. 

• Thanks 1
On 7/22/2022 at 7:21 AM, Grouchy said:

Is it ok for windscreen as well? 

I've used it on my windscreen for 3 years on my RT and 9 years on my Honda ST1300 before that.  Before every ride and several times during a longer ride with microfiber towels.  Shield and visor have stayed clear for years

• Thanks 1
On 7/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, RT_Jim said:

A friend that flies airplanes suggested Protect All to me some years ago - that is what they use on their windshields. It is basically liquid Carnauba wax so its safe for windshields and faceshields. I've been using it for years with no issues. You can usually find it at Walmart in the RV section. 

Bugs slide right off and the rain never sticks. And $12 for a 16oz bottle, pretty good deal. 

Protect All

I have been a satisfied user of Protect All for a few years now. I switched when Plexus became ridiculously overpriced.

2 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I have been a satisfied user of Protect All for a few years now. I switched when Plexus became ridiculously overpriced.

Protect All has been around for many years and was one of the first products to the party.  I’ve used Protect All when I could not get Original Bike Spirits and it’s fine.  I just find it a bit too oily but it does an ok job.   It was around since the early 90’s 

This whole spray polish industry really started with the Gold Wing guys who were using Lemon Pledge on all if their plastic.  Honda jumped on the band wagon in early 90’s with their product.

1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Protect All has been around for many years and was one of the first products to the party.  I’ve used Protect All when I could not get Original Bike Spirits and it’s fine.  I just find it a bit too oily but it does an ok job.   It was around since the early 90’s 

This whole spray polish industry really started with the Gold Wing guys who were using Lemon Pledge on all if their plastic.  Honda jumped on the band wagon in early 90’s with their product.

I have tried Original Bike Spirits and have not been particularly impressed with it - at least not as an alternative to Plexus. It works OK as a cleaner but not nearly as well as a polish for paint or plastics.

1 hour ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I have tried Original Bike Spirits and have not been particularly impressed with it - at least not as an alternative to Plexus. It works OK as a cleaner but not nearly as well as a polish for paint or plastics.

That’s what makes the world go round and why Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors.  I love the stuff.  

For me Plexus has always been ok for windshields but that’s about it and I have no idea why they think it’s worth 4 times the price of others.  But great marketing though …. Much like perfume and cologne when companies made an affordable alternative folks still believe the expensive stuff is better.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to this party as usual as I don't get on the computer much! However for plastics and acrylic a product called Kleenmaster Brillianize was recommended years ago by the now sadly defunct Motorcycle Consumer News and a qt. lasted me about ten years! I believe it is still available but at Americade back in the early 2000s a fellow hawking a product called Adams spray polish gave us a couple of free samples and the nicest microfiber cloth I'd ever used. I have been using this stuff for about the last ten years and it works great and has a pleasant smell to boot I ended up buying a gallon and gave away a bunch for people to try and still have enough left to last until my last days on this planet! I think they are out in Colorado and they have sales and specials quite often...Look em up

• Like 2
On 7/26/2022 at 8:29 AM, RTinNC said:

That’s what makes the world go round and why Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors.  I love the stuff.  

For me Plexus has always been ok for windshields but that’s about it and I have no idea why they think it’s worth 4 times the price of others.  But great marketing though …. Much like perfume and cologne when companies made an affordable alternative folks still believe the expensive stuff is better.

Ditto, I only use Plexus for the wind screen and helmet visor.  Original Bike Spirits for all the rest.  Makes the Plexus last quit a while.

As I get ready to wash the bike, I take old Tee shirts soak them in water then lay them on the windshield and fenders. By the time I get done with washing everything else the bugs saturated to the point where they just wipe away. Leaving the bike sit out at night letting the dew saturate them works well also if your area is safe to do that. I think using Hydro peroxide would help with getting ride of bugs in hard to reach places.

• Plus 1 1
  • 2 months later...

I love the t-shirt tip. I'm doing that this morning. I used to use damp Bounty paper towels or small terry cloth towels but the t-shirt suggestion is a much better choice. Being that I wear x-large t-shirts they cover the entire windshield too!

Lou

2022 R1250RT

2020 Zero SR/S Premium

• Haha 1
On 7/15/2022 at 5:11 AM, Skywagon said:

Yes. ClearView from AvLab. They also do great oil analysis and trending. ClearView is $10.50 a can. Not sure on shipping as they are local to me

30F57553-D49F-4C1D-B6DF-A194AA3E62B2.png

Well, apparently, shipping and handling direct from Avlab is pricy ($20?!), and while the $11 product is available on Amazon, it's $18.00 or more (depending on the vendor and packaging).  

Anyone have a better source?

So .... get used to the Biden bonus🙄  (oops, this ain't that kinda thread).  

(I told my wife, "Get used to it.  Things are gonna cost what they cost.  Can't go ballistic with every trip to the store, as long as we can put food on the table and stay warm in winter.")

On 7/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, LBump said:

At $30 - 35 per can for Plexus, well they're off the list.  It can't be that much better..., though the smell is intoxicating so maybe it's worth the extra cost. :rofl: Nope...

Pledge, SC-1, Honda Polish etc., all at reasonable price point.

That smell IS intoxicating; it's like the smell ............. of FUN!  (It means, "... going on a ride or flying today!")

On 7/23/2022 at 1:34 PM, RTinNC said:

+1 ..... I have tried them all and suffer from severe OCD on my vehicles and this stuff is the best I have found.   It is the ORIGINAL Honda formula and works on any surface.  I never leave home without it. 

@Jake@RTinNC

Yeah, but guess how much that stuff costs now (on Amazon).  Yep, something like $18  - $20.   I'm starting to think the manufacturer's are watching the forums, and when folks say "Plexus alternative" and their product's on the list, it's "Hey, Lou, did ya read this stuff, they think our junk is like Plexus.  Wow, it's gold man, jack that price up!!!" 😒

I've seen this thread before, but now my old can of Plexus is sitting on the shelf, mostly empty, and I'm afraid to push that squirt button, knowing it's probably either empty our outta gas.  Gonna have to shell out for something soon, so here I am.

The new formula Honda stuff seems like the best priced stuff, unless one is going to some simple household product like Pledge.  How does the new stuff work, compared to the original?  Is it worth even buying?

12 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

@Jake@RTinNC

Yeah, but guess how much that stuff costs now (on Amazon).  Yep, something like $18  - $20.   I'm starting to think the manufacturer's are watching the forums, and when folks say "Plexus alternative" and their product's on the list, it's "Hey, Lou, did ya read this stuff, they think our junk is like Plexus.  Wow, it's gold man, jack that price up!!!" 😒

I've seen this thread before, but now my old can of Plexus is sitting on the shelf, mostly empty, and I'm afraid to push that squirt button, knowing it's probably either empty our outta gas.  Gonna have to shell out for something soon, so here I am.

The new formula Honda stuff seems like the best priced stuff, unless one is going to some simple household product like Pledge.  How does the new stuff work, compared to the original?  Is it worth even buying?

The new HONDA polish is just OK but Original Bike Spirits is the OLD "ORIGINAL" Honda formula and works great.   Pledge was originally used by Gold Wingers and I suspect why Honda originally created the spray polish.  But today the OBS is the original formula and works like a champ.   Pledge works OK but is streaky and a bit oily. 

Original Bike Spirits is sold by a lot of dealers and even J&P Cycles.   Should not be over $10 for the large size. 

Or .... you can buy 12 cans on Amazon for $60 or $5 a can and just get a few friends to share the purchase.   Heck you could have them sent to START and distribute them there.:18: 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Or .... you can buy 12 cans on Amazon for $60 or $5 a can and just get a few friends to share the purchase.   Heck you could have them sent to START and distribute them there.:18: 

"Hello, is this the Original company?  Yeah, I wanted to buy some of your ...er...um... Honda Spray?  Yeah, that's the one.  'Spray Cleaner and Polish".  You got it.  The address?   Yeah, I'd like to send you the list.  Why?  'Cause I need you to drop ship 'em.  Now, here's the dozen addresses of my fellow Beemer owners on the bmwst.com forum ...."

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Actually what I was really thinking was if there are guys who want the stuff to order it and have it shipped direct to the START hotel and they they’d just pay me the $5 per can.  Kind of like a group buy.  Or if someone is trailering have it shipped to the and they bring it to START

Nothing works like Plexis on plastic windscreens.  I had some connections on the flight line who squared me away for years.  Quit using it when I had to buy it.  The wife bought a big can at the local Harley dealership last summer I had forgotten just how well it works.

The BBR crew gave out cans of the the Original Bike Spray stuff at the Unrally this year.  Good stuff but it ain't Plexis.

• Like 1

We need a chemist to chime in and explain to us what is the Plexis secret ingredient. Then we can look for this in other sprays.