IGNORED

Apparently the R18 bagger fire sale has started.

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

Besides the BMW to buyer 0.9% financing plus thousand in customer cash the prices at many dealers just dropped prices, my local stripped nearly four thousand off both their B models and similar off a Transcontinental; they have an open house this weekend. I figure this is the demo credit that BMW allows them to place on bikes as the company did this last year with the R18 and R18 Classic, giving dealers the demo credit to use even on bikes never ridden. From what I have found around the new that is $3870 off a B.

Example all black B from 26,540 down to 22,625

I know both B models have been at my dealer since day one last September. One Transcontinental was sold before arrival.

If they start popping these out the door for say $20K-ish, they may have an alternative up for consideration. No profits though, no continuation of the model. So, your gang will consist of you and John, from Peoria. :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.87920171a814167d04ffb654e95fe50a.jpeg

1 minute ago, wbw6cos said:

If they threw you the key fob and said it's yours, would you keep it?

Afternoon William

Yep, I'd keep it just long enough to sell it or trade it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Thanks.  I would ask them if I could trade it for a 1250 GS.  :5146:

They'll tell you it's not a popular model and give you about 1/4 your buying price, ten minutes after you pay for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yup, like the Boattail Harleys in the late 70's, way too radical, very few sales, and the ones that were sold had the goofy rear fender taken off, many lost or tossed, and a traditional put on to replace it. Now those models are quite collectable.

Maybe I should pick up one of the R18s and store it as an investment! It will definitely be rare.

Haha,  seems like the other side of the coin. A BMW a dealer selling a cruiser style bike seems very much like when Harley Davidson dealers were selling Buell sport bike.

Sometimes you just got to a

stay in your lane…or at least not wander too far from it

fourteenfour

The R18 line had such promise but BMW focused far too hard on influencers, well known custom bike companies, and such, and not enough on the people who would actually be expected to buy one. The initial reviews of the bagger models last August were the worst reception I have can recall of new BMW motorcycles. From truly bad vibration in certain ranges, weak clutches, small bags, and phone integration so bad they told demo riders to not use it, I was amazed they released them.

Worse they are just not representative of what BMW riders expect from the tour models, they have fixed wind screens, do not have ESA, and are grossly overweight. BMW mentioned early on how the engine a transmission only weighed 243 pounds implying to some that the complete bike would weigh less than the competition yet somehow that R1800B model is 861 pounds dry. With regards to bag size, the BMW is rated at 14 gallon capacity versus Indian and Harley both in the 18+

If they handed me the keys?  I would ask how much I could take of a RT if I handed them back, if they said at least 6k we might have a deal.

I hope my dealer can off load them during their open house. Cycle Trader has new demo versions, some with the as new 15 miles on the odometer, down near 20k now.

• Like 1

As a long time cruiser and bagger rider, I wanted it to be a desirable machine, but I find it sorely lacking in almost all aspects, weight being number one, and ground clearance playing a big part, though that is not a surprise given the size of that monster motor.

I agree, it seemed an odd exercise for BMW to pursue.

Like most things motorcycles ... a lot of guys here (sport touring and touring riders) are not fans but I have read and met other who just love the thing.   BMW certainly made it pretty and while it really is a heavy beast folks that I know who have actually ridden one say it handles way better than it should.   Like a lot of folks here it is just not for me but then neither are most cruisers.   But dang they are purdy! 

• Like 4

I'm thinking I will just wait until BMW offers the power-steering, air-conditioning, & all wheel drive options. 

But I still think BMW missed their chance to be different,  something that big  should definitely have been offered with a diesel engine & possibly a split-ratio final drive. 

• Smile 1
On 3/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, wbw6cos said:

On the R18, if they threw you the key fob and said it's yours, would you keep it?

If I could sell it and get another GSA, sure.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Yup, like the Boattail Harleys in the late 70's, way too radical, very few sales, and the ones that were sold had the goofy rear fender taken off, many lost or tossed, and a traditional put on to replace it. Now those models are quite collectable.

Maybe I should pick up one of the R18s and store it as an investment! It will definitely be rare.

Same situation as the Triumph Hurricanes of the early 70's. An awful lot of them were stripped of their tanks and exhaust to move them out the door. Stock ones are worth a small fortune today.

• Thanks 1

BMW does build a competent bagger unlike the R18. It's done pretty well on the sales front and will actually get out of its own way when you open the throttle. 

2018-bmw-k-1600-b-bagger-buyers-guide-1.thumb.jpg.dadafa2be1b5d0721ebe6c8ae277a2aa.jpg

• Like 5
On 3/14/2022 at 4:05 PM, wbw6cos said:

On the R18, if they threw you the key fob and said it's yours, would you keep it?

Absolutely....I love the looks of the R18 especially the Transcontinental and would keep it if it was given to me for free but not something I would buy because I need a bike with much greater performance and handling as well as substantially lighter by a couple hundred pounds. I think the R18 looks great but I also think the enormous cylinder heads are a deterrent to cruiser guys buying it because it limits where you can put your feet.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Calugo said:

I also think the enormous cylinder heads are a deterrent to cruiser guys buying it because it limits where you can put your feet.

They have that covered. Looks like you’d rest the back of your boot on that plate. Hot? :dontknow:

To me it’s kinda like a scooter, you know you’d be smiling every minute but, you wanna be seen on it? :classic_biggrin:
BMW_R_18_Engine.jpg?auto=format,compress

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

you know you’d be smiling every minute but, you wanna be seen on it?

The primary reason to wear that full face with smoked shield helmet!!!!!:rofl:

On 3/16/2022 at 3:59 AM, MikeB60 said:

BMW does build a competent bagger

That K-bagger is the only bagger I'd own....... gotta wait for the right used one though....retired, fixed income.....blah blah blah

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey ... I am happy to be seen on a scooter OR a R18.  I think both are cool and while I would own a scooter,   pretty sure I would not own a R18.  Just not for me or my riding style.  But heck there are a LOT of bikes I would not own but thank are very cool. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

When I sold my 50cc Honda Ruckus scooter, I had over 11k miles on it.  In all truth, I can only credit myself to 2k of those.  Nothing wrong with a scooter!

image.png.99dce514416eff538056aabae6009752.png

I rode one in Bermuda once, with shorts and sandals. :dontknow:  :classic_biggrin:

Spoiler

Just kidding about the scooters. I really like them. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

image.png.99dce514416eff538056aabae6009752.png

I rode one in Bermuda once, with shorts and sandals. :dontknow:  :classic_biggrin:

Hide contents

Just kidding about the scooters. I really like them. :thumbsup:

Yeah ... kind of like a Gold Wing but smaller and your passenger does not have a matching jacket.  (only poking fun ... not really Wing bashing) 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Ya ! Don’t be dissin a scoot:18:

CFF673D3-2430-4774-8A7F-621EFE253B2B.jpeg

Any thing that I dont pedal with two wheels is cool in my book!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

It will do 75 on the highway all day long. Had it up to almost 90, then I got scared LOL

Got my (now sold) WR 250 to read 94 MPH coming out of Lake City Colorado. I had a Raptor chasing me. The Ford kind. :spittake:

Here I be. :classic_biggrin:

image.jpeg

• Haha 4

I had a Yamaha T-Max for a couple years...stupid fun, reasonably quick with great handling. I admit that I shouldn't have sold it.:facepalm:

10 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

At least the motor took the hit and stopped it from going all the way over and denting the tank!

Afternoon   Hosstage

You might want to look at all the pictures, looks like a pretty good dent in R/H top of fuel tank.

Just now, dirtrider said:

Afternoon   Hosstage

You might want to look at all the pictures, looks like a pretty good dent in R/H top of fuel tank.

Probably, I was just joking around, I only looked at the pics on my phone, pictures too small to really make out any detail.

But if the tank hit, pretty sure that motor took on hell of a jolt.

27 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Me thinks BMW should stick to building cars.

Me thinks BMW builds damn fine motorcycles and the recent R1250 series is some of their best work.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Me thinks BMW builds damn fine motorcycles and the recent R1250 series is some of their best work.

What he said !!   Actually I have never considering owing a BMW car but believe BMW makes some of the safest motorcycle out there.

• Plus 1 1
23 hours ago, JamesW said:

Me thinks BMW should stick to building cars.

Not if you've owned one......... My dad's towing business (when he was still with us) stayed afloat towing dead BMWs. Friends that bought them were disappointed and sold them soon after.

I think the Motorrad group is far superior to the car group. They have had a few missteps and the R18 is the latest, but the M/C's are easily the best BMW's

24 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Not if you've owned one......... My dad's towing business (when he was still with us) stayed afloat towing dead BMWs. Friends that bought them were disappointed and sold them soon after.

I think the Motorrad group is far superior to the car group. They have had a few missteps and the R18 is the latest, but the M/C's are easily the best BMW's

And let's be honest ... the R18 is not a "bad" bike at least I have not heard of any recall issues.  It is just a bike that most folks hear view as a design they would not buy but only because of he design, the weight, etc.   Actually the thing looks like it is built like a tank ...a dn weighs about as much.   

2 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Ahhhh...Complexity thy name is BMW.  As in heavy on the complex = Bring a whole lot More Wallet.

Actually the R18 is one of the LESS complex BMW motorcycles.  Heck if you want to talk complex look at the new RT and GTL with adaptive cruise,  cell phone only GPS, Keyless everything.   The R18 is just a big simple beast.  No liquid cooling,  no fancy techno stuff, no built in audio, etc.   And with the price reductions if you paid by the pound it is a real bargain! 

2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Actually the R18 is one of the LESS complex BMW motorcycles.  Heck if you want to talk complex look at the new RT and GTL with adaptive cruise,  cell phone only GPS, Keyless everything.   The R18 is just a big simple beast.  No liquid cooling,  no fancy techno stuff, no built in audio, etc.   And with the price reductions if you paid by the pound it is a real bargain! 

Afternoon   RTinNC

Actually the R18 is liquid cooled, the liquid used is just oil not water/antifreeze.