IGNORED

Motorcycle Suggestions Please

MichiganBob

Good Afternoon,

I'm interested in this demo thread. Question? Would it be true that those who try out a car might abuse it? And yet, I'm not thinking that new cars have 0 miles on them or that this is expected. Or is it expected with cars? Is there a notion that folks are more likely to beat on a bike than a car?

3 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Is there a notion that folks are more likely to beat on a bike than a car?

The short answer is yes............. Cars are a "need" and therefore tested for ride, comfort, visibility.... the quality of the experience. Most test drives are at regular road speeds to get an idea of the day to day use of the car. Exceptions being very high performance/ sports versions.

M/C's are a "want" and therefore are a much more personal decision. If one is going to spend that much money on a leisure vehicle they usually want it fresh out of the crate.

I would be worried about someone riding a dry clutch BMW for 30-50 miles in stop and go city driving- especially with some hills thrown in. I had a Sgt. that would smoke a BMW clutch every 1000 miles....... took several days full of re-training (and two clutches) to stop him treating it like his Honda dirt bike's wet clutch.

Also, who's to say that no one has dropped it in the lot and the dealer has had to replace scratched fairings already?? Test riders do that stuff to demos.:dontknow:

6 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Rental cars are the best jumpers!! (posting for a friend):whistle:

Who among us hasn't tried to do that? The only difference is that that one was successful.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Who among us hasn't tried to do that? The only difference is that that one was successful.

And that is how test drives are conducted. Less than 23 miles on the clock of that new car when it rolled back into the dealer.

"So, wadda ya think, can we make a deal so you can take it home today?"

"It's a nice car, runs and rides nice, good suspension, let me talk to my wife and I'll get back to you."

• Haha 1

Good Morning,

I haate to beat a dead horse but I'm just wondering. After riding for more than 50 years, I've had my share of bikes, mainly a few brands. I would not have to test drive a new Beemer or Harley to know what it generally feels like. I would expect that newer is better but a facsimile of past models. But to plop down 6 to 10k on a total stranger like a W800 Kawasaki, V Strom, NC700 or CX500  based solely on looking at it and sitting on it ... now that's one hell of a leap of faith. The "what if's" creep in ... and there's a bunch of them. I sure don't like not having a demo to try. Back in the old days, all my dealers would let me take a bike out and try it. I guess the times they are a changing. So what would you do? Would you purchase a new bike without ever trying one out?

35 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Morning,

I haate to beat a dead horse but I'm just wondering. After riding for more than 50 years, I've had my share of bikes, mainly a few brands. I would not have to test drive a new Beemer or Harley to know what it generally feels like. I would expect that newer is better but a facsimile of past models. But to plop down 6 to 10k on a total stranger like a W800 Kawasaki, V Strom, NC700 or CX500  based solely on looking at it and sitting on it ... now that's one hell of a leap of faith. The "what if's" creep in ... and there's a bunch of them. I sure don't like not having a demo to try. Back in the old days, all my dealers would let me take a bike out and try it. I guess the times they are a changing. So what would you do? Would you purchase a new bike without ever trying one out?

Afternoon Bob

BMW & Harley have dealer demo programs that allow the dealer to sell a demo motorcycle at a reduced price after a certain mileage/time period (on BMW the warranty actually starts when the demo bike is put into service). On these demo bikes the manufacturer picks up the discount sales price loss. In fact with BMW the dealer wants people to test ride the demo bikes as that allows them to sell the motorcycle quicker. 

I don't know about other manufacturers but if the manufacturer doesn't provide demo bike incentives then why would a dealer allow test rides as the dealer would then have to eat the cost difference between a new motorcycle & a used motorcycle (low miles, newish,  but demo ridden)

None of the Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha dealers in my area allow test rides but most do have a once or twice a year demo day with the manufacturer showing up at the dealer with a number of demo bikes for a test rides.    

Good Afternnon DR,

I hear you. I believe the Triumph had demos as well but not sure if that still exists. Forgot about demo days, might want to keep a look out for them. Can't shake that dread about buying without trying. My soliloquey of fears such as "it's not as smooth as I thought it would be," "it's not a comfortable bike," or "it does not handle well" creeps in. The answer is to go barely used. At least the private seller or dealer will "usually" let you test ride these bikes. 

5 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Afternnon DR,

I hear you. I believe the Triumph had demos as well but not sure if that still exists. Forgot about demo days, might want to keep a look out for them. Can't shake that dread about buying without trying. My soliloquey of fears such as "it's not as smooth as I thought it would be," "it's not a comfortable bike," or "it does not handle well" creeps in. The answer is to go barely used. At least the private seller or dealer will "usually" let you test ride these bikes. 

Evening Bob

Just keep in mind that even riding a used (for sale) motorcycle usually won't be far enough or long enough in the saddle to tell much. About all you can usually do is verify it works OK the that it somewhat fits you.

If you are in Florida now,  maybe try to rent the model you are looking at.   Must be a lot of motorcycle rental places in Florida due to all the snowbirds wintering there. 

• 2 months later...
MichiganBob

The verdict is in. After serious exploring, test riding a bunch of bikes at Bike Week, reading reviews, I am ready to pull the plug. I wanted a winter Florida bike that would be fun to get me to the gym, cruise backroads but highway proficient, easy to maintain, lightweight so I can push it into my lanai, cool riding (some of the bikes I rode put out way too much heat) and easy to farkle with necessities. Drumroll, going with a Honda NC750X. What do you think?

• Like 2
MichiganBob

I'm going to go red with black trim. Same as my last Honda, a fabulous, fast, fun and ultimately uncomfortable for an old guy Superhawk. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at and recommending the NC line of bikes for a few years to riders that want to downsize, or are stepping up from beginner bikes. They seem a good size, weight, and decent power. And it's a Honda, should be dependable, and dealerships aplenty for service.

Good choice, let us know how you like it.

MichiganBob

Big decision to make ... manual or automatic transmission. Part of me says go modern with automatic, the other part says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. For example, i use the clutch on my 2018 almost all the time. What would you do and why?

I was hot on an Africa Twin for a while and not once in that thought process did I ever think about going with the manual transmission.

Even old dogs like new toys every now and again. And, almost everything you read on the subject (indecision) as to which transmission to get is put to rest very quickly after experiencing the DCT.

edit…

I think you know the DCT is not completely automatic unless you want it to be. Manual mode lets you choose the gear via a paddle shifter. 

I would go DCT on that one, great transmission and you'll never be in the wrong gear. Riding them back to back, I found myself tagging the rev limiter on the standard, a lot.   YMMV

11 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Big decision to make ... manual or automatic transmission. Part of me says go modern with automatic, the other part says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. For example, i use the clutch on my 2018 almost all the time. What would you do and why?

Morning Bob 

Personally (I) would get the standard manual transmission. Reason being, if that motorcycle is going to sit in Florida while you summer in Michigan then the  less complexity the better as that motorcycle ages.   Not much to go wrong on a standard foot shift motorcycle transmission once you have some miles on it under warranty  to verify operation. On the other hand, electric shift with more complex electronic control is usually not your friend on a motorcycle that sits & ages. 

If the (motorcycle) that  you have now doesn't  bother you to shift then you should not be bothered with shifting that new Honda. 

Any chance to test ride one to see if you like it?

Like dr, I lean toward manual, but most reviewers always seem to come around to the DCT after going in with scepticism.

MichiganBob

Good Morning all. I appreciate your input. I did get to ride both of them at the demo day but not long enough to obtain a fully informed decision. I'm on the west coast and there is considerable traffic. The plan is to head east for rides away from the masses. There are some crazy drivers down here who suffer from impatience. Also some who have questionable eyesight and hearing. Excuse the stereotypes. Living in a rural Michigan area, I'm just not accustomed to traffic.  So, to make a long story short (I said this to a hardware store guy and he responded  "I guess it's too late for

that" ).  Anyhow, I like to shift and do not see any advantages to an automatic. But I do like my automatic garage door opener.