IGNORED

Motorcycle Suggestions Please

MichiganBob

Good Day,

I decided to squander my kid's inheritance by buying a little vacation place. My RT stays at the homestead but would like something to mess around with at the new place. I'm thinking just short blasts on roads, not dirt, comfortable seat, windshield, fast enough to keep me out of trouble, low maintenance, on the light side, new or newer than 2018. Looking at a Honda CX500X. Wondering if anyone is familiar with this model or has a suggestions of something else that fits the bill between say 500 and 750 cc's.

Many thanks for your advice.

• MichiganBob changed the title to Motorcycle Suggestions Please

The Enfield had very poor reliability when first released but has gotten better and better,  and they had to considering their rampant use in third world countries. Reminds me of how Jawa improved in quality and reliability over time.

The Enfields have come a long way in reliability. They recently won a comparison test of dirt and machining detris captured from a new motor over the major players.

3 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Day,

I decided to squander my kid's inheritance by buying a little vacation place. My RT stays at the homestead but would like something to mess around with at the new place. I'm thinking just short blasts on roads, not dirt, comfortable seat, windshield, fast enough to keep me out of trouble, low maintenance, on the light side, new or newer than 2018. Looking at a Honda CX500X. Wondering if anyone is familiar with this model or has a suggestions of something else that fits the bill between say 500 and 750 cc's.

Many thanks for your advice.

Afternoon MichiganBob

I'm kind of partial to the BMW 800/850 bikes as they ride out like a larger motorcycle but handle like they are lighter.

You seem to be in Michigan so if your vacation place is up north a ways & it is going to stay there then there aren't any BMW dealers up in that part of Michigan. 

I won't suggest a specific motorcycle but can make a general recommendation to get something that has a (good)  servicing dealer near where you are going keep it.   

• Like 2

Good Evening,

Heading to west central Florida coast. Can't handle the Michigan winters anymore with my pulse averaging 45. I will be looking to see what different dealers there are in the Tampa, Sarasota, Bradenton area. The G310R looks interesting.

4 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Evening,

Heading to west central Florida coast. Can't handle the Michigan winters anymore with my pulse averaging 45. I will be looking to see what different dealers there are in the Tampa, Sarasota, Bradenton area. The G310R looks interesting.

Evening Bob

The G310R is a fun little motorcycle if you don't weight a lot. If you are on the high side of 160 lbs it takes a lot of revving to make it do much.

If you are serious about a G310R be sure to ride one before buying. 

Although that Janus looks cool...Not sure I would want that at my vacation house as a reliable, easy to get parts for, dealer assistance near by kind of a bike.  The middle of the BMW lineup from the 800's would be of keen interest since you already understand the brand.  If that is not feasible or desirable, then pretty much any Honda or Yamaha would be my next choices.  Hard to beat a Honda for dealers and reliability.  The Honda NC 750 has been a great bike for my godson...  He rides it very hard, two up, commutes, and now has 75,000 break free miles.

Good Evening DR,

Good point on weight as I am running 185 these days. There's plenty of midweights to choose from in the 500 to 750 cc arena. This is going to be fun. If I go non-BMW, I have never ever had an unsatisfactory Honda product be it my lawnmower, powerwasher, outboard motor, several Accords, and my very fast Red Superhawk. 

Don’t overlook a Suzuki DL 650 VStrom.  A very under appreciated bike.  Nice ones can be had for well under $7K.  There is a very nice one on this forum in the classifieds.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Good Evening,

Thanks guys. Both the KTM and the V-Strom are on the shopping list. I'll be interested in height as unfortunately I continue to shrink and am  now down to 5'7."  I'm thinking that there might be a lot of stop and go in the part of Florida I will be going to, expecially this time of the year when traffic swells up. Got to get those little legs of mine squarely on the pavement when I stop. Aging has it's challenges.

I sold Honda's for a while after retiring..... You can't go wrong with the CB500X.........Light weight, 50 horsies and comfortable! And it's a Honda.

They can be found gently used for very reasonable prices, but they aren't expensive brand new.:18:

• Like 3

You have a lot of choices in the range you're looking, probably the most choices of any segment. Agree, you can't go wrong with a Honda or Yamaha, and the NC700 has me interested as a bike to recommend to some, maybe me in later years. Still intrigued by the Enfields.

I just threw the Janus out there as a "Ooh, look at that!" 

2000000003.jpg.7e59273509182ca799cabace591f2680.jpg

I have always been tempted by the Suzuki Burgman 650... as a second bike for bopping around.  Should be good for a vertically challenged rider.  And a blast to ride.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with a WeeStrom (650) no matter what yearused to leave one in Colorado for 10-11 months at a time, battery disconnected. Always started and ran like clockwork, a BMW 700GS is probably a little more engaging and fun but the Wee can do it all and once you clear the Fla coasts into the interior the power, speed, and handling of either will make you smile. In Florida on the peninsula there's a BMW dealer within an hour or so in any direction but with the 700 you shouldn't need one, they seem to be very reliable. In any case here's an older Wee (don't let that sway you) in the vicinity, mine was just like it. Bought it for that amount and sold it 10 years later for the same thing, they're like a free motorcycle : )

00Z0Z_bBBlq5hi3JJz_0MM132_1200x900.jpg

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/d/north-port-motorcycle/7435045259.html

IMG_0249.JPG

Hard to go wrong with an older F650 too.

128.JPG

• Like 1

Wow Tewks ... nice find. If I recall, it's an automatic. Scooter like but the forward pegs makes it cruiser like. I had one motorcycle accident in 54 years and it was on a scooter. Maybe I have PTSD but not sure I can warm up to one. More interested in something I can shift -- out of habit and more upright. Still plenty of choices in the 500 to 750  cc range. Excited to begin the hunt.

• Like 1

Wowie Zowie Skywaagon. What a fine looking classic design with lots of new technology. This hunt is fun. I like having the option of jumping on the highway or taking backroads.  Light enough. Good ergos for an old guy. Lots of safety technology. Interesting.

I'd pick the NC750X over the CB500X and have several times with 75,000 miles on mine. It's the modern airhead. Low revving and torquey. If you don't care to try the brilliant DCT they are 6 speed manuals to be had. In this crazy used bike market they remain a bargain.

4 hours ago, dduelin said:

I'd pick the NC750X over the CB500X and have several times with 75,000 miles on mine. It's the modern airhead. Low revving and torquey. If you don't care to try the brilliant DCT they are 6 speed manuals to be had. In this crazy used bike market they remain a bargain.

The NC seems to satisfy a few categories.

ThE W800 has a nice classic look with modern features. Reminds me of the Bonnevilles in my youth. Thanks for adding another to the growing list.

Good Evening,

It's been a long time since I have shopped for a non-BMW bike. My BMW dealer and I go back over 25 years and have a fine relationship. He always had a stable of demo bikes. In fact, twice I took one home for the weekend plus since I am an hour away, he would lend me one to bring back the next day when my bike was ready. I was chatting with someone today and telling him about all these cool bikes you folks were sharing with me. He said that I better like the way it looks and feels sitting on it because most of the dealers with these non-BMW bikes will not let you take them out for a spin. Can that be? How can you buy a bike without trying it out? I don't think I can. Is this a specific dealer thing or are some of these brands expecting you to buy solely on sight?

Most dealers will let you test ride any used bike 'cause they own those. New models....... depends on the dealer and their agreement with the manufacturer, plus the fact that most M/C buyers don't want one with a few miles on it unless there's a big discount. Makes no sense since new cars always have some miles on them.

I did, back in 94. A 1994 Ducati 900 SS. No demo bikes, limited stock. It’s been mentioned, dealerships don’t want to sell a used new bike.

Anyway, my first mile down the road I was like WTF did I just do??? :eek: Harsh suspension (sport bike) uncomfortable ergonomics (sport bike) twitchy throttle (sport bike) :classic_biggrin: but it’s become the most prized conversation piece of my life. :rofl:

That one worked out, some don’t. :dontknow:

edit…

I've always believed that the manufactures should allow dealerships one or two of the more popular models to be a season demo. Discounted from the manufacturer so the dealership doesn’t have to eat the loss when it’s sold. 

edit 2 

In saying that, I’ve demoed a Honda Goldwing a couple of times at a local dealership. :dontknow:

On 1/24/2022 at 6:47 AM, TEWKS said:

I’ve demoed a Honda Goldwing a couple of times

Without a purchase that's called Joyriding after the first ride. One of the dealers I worked at was a BMW dealer.......we did have a couple "joyriders" that never intended to buy, just burned up sales time and fuel and mileage and then bought private party used. You shoulda seen my salesmen when one guy brought his "new" bike in for service......... he wanted to show us what a good deal he got!!

A different dealer I worked for would allow a test ride only after everything was done except the signing of docs. You can't imagine how many joyriders that policy weeds out.:whistle:

No joyride, I had honest intentions both times.

The first was on the last generation bike which was awesome and big. The last one was the newest bike but they didn’t have a DCT to try so, I had to slum it with a clutch & shifter. :classic_biggrin: 

My takeaway from the newer bike, it wasn’t as smooth running as the older bike. Granted, the test on the older bike was years prior. 

Still on the radar but so are many more! :dopeslap:

• Like 1

Rode my RT to a Harley Dealer at the end of last summer. Was lookin at the new Pan Am's they had. Salesman ask me if I wanted a test ride. Told him I wasn't ready to buy , but was interested in that model. He said go for it and tell what you think. Guess he knew it was a great bike and might leave the door open for the future. If so, he wasn't wrong

• Like 1

Good Afternoon,

I figure 15 minutes and 5 miles is all I need to determine if the bikes for me. I've already read up on it, the specs, the reviews, the comments.  Now I need to experience it, how does the motor feel and respond, the handling, the transmission, the brakes, the suspension, the controls, the sound, the seat, the ergos? If I can't experience it, no sale. That's how I'm wired. Surely you can sell a new bike as "new" with 50 miles on it. Or am I in la la land?                                                                               

Do you want to buy a bike with 50 miles on it, ridden by strangers, having no idea how they rode it? Hint: they pounded on it a little bit (or a lot) to "see how it goes." I would bet it was not good and warm before the pounding started. No discount, sold as new.

Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's harder to sell to me with those conditions.

Hence, demo bikes. 

6 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

harder to sell to me with those conditions.

Yup. Yours is the widely held feeling about a M/C that is new with 25 Demo miles on it.

Not saying the belief is wrong, just that it is an obstacle......... so dealers don't demo. 

• Like 1