IGNORED

Some LEO's are really, really, really, really, just plain cool

Rougarou

7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Maybe coming back, more oil please! :classic_biggrin:

image.gif.078b80a1842e76f641fb675d17927aec.gif

Dude, there's no oil left to give.  The sit-chee-ashun was as described above, .......the only additional tidbit was it was a Wednesday mid-afternoon

• Haha 1

I read somewhere long ago to stay seated on the bike, both hands on the bars, bike turned off. Since I have apehangers, it looks like I already have my hands in the air for him or her! Then I ask to get off the bike to reach for my wallet, slowly (no helmet to remove), and inform them my insurance papers are in the bag, may I get them, and again, I slowly reach in, reach out, and hand them over, standing back from the bike and him as I wait for my punishment.

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Eh, ..."

"I clocked you at 89."

"Ehh,. ...."

No need for responses recorded on dash cam to be used against me in court on that one.

I figure that a better response than "89? Phht, You must have got me on the way down."

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I read somewhere long ago to stay seated on the bike, both hands on the bars, bike turned off. Since I have apehangers, it looks like I already have my hands in the air for him or her! Then I ask to get off the bike to reach for my wallet, slowly (no helmet to remove), and inform them my insurance papers are in the bag, may I get them, and again, I slowly reach in, reach out, and hand them over, standing back from the bike and him as I wait for my punishment.

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Eh, ..."

"I clocked you at 89."

"Ehh,. ...."

No need for responses recorded on dash cam to be used against me in court on that one.

I figure that a better response than "89? Phht, You must have got me on the way down."

"No idea officer, and I've had no idea since my odometer went out on me 5 years ago.  But, I'm sure your little device there, can help me out with that!  You guys are such SWELL little helpers, always sitting by the side of the road ready to help us motorcyclists with these kinda problems ...."  🤣🤣🤣

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I read somewhere long ago to stay seated on the bike, both hands on the bars, bike turned off.

Yep.  Cops get edgy when detainees get out of their car without permission; likewise, it's smart to not get off the bike unless you've asked first.

During my stops, I haven't kept my hands on the handlebars, but it's pretty obvious to the cop approaching from the rear that I'm taking my gloves off and then taking my helmet off (mostly so I can get my earplugs out in time to hear anything he might be about to say).  

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I was in the Z3 and decided to get a lap or two in before going home, I live just off a curvy six mile road (with several fun connectors) that follows the contour of the river. Usually if in the mood I'll wait till late at night when there's no traffic just the odd possum or fox crossing (a fox is too fast to hit and possums are slow and avoidable). The road is notorious for sport bikes and sportscars having a little fun but there's little enforcement.

Anyway I pulled out at the south end after a few cars cleared for some space, it was just dark. After a few sweepers I noticed a car back a little ways but at roughly the same pace. It's not uncommon to attract a kid that wants to play so didn't think much of it, get to the straightaway and accelerate slightly for a gap so I could loop back thru a neighborhood to my road without hindering his progress,. As I turned right blue lights everywhere, pull over it's FHP in a new white Mustang GT with no markings, bad timing on my part. The usual license, insurance, etc, he goes 45 in a 30 (which means 4 points) I ask if he can maybe reduce it a little (for 3 points) then said something I've never said to a policeman before. Told him I was a professional race car driver for 30 years and it was the only fun I got to have anymore : ) He goes I understand, what did you race, I said Porsches at the 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring, he looks at my license and says I think I've heard of you (no effing way). He walked back to his car for an agonizing few minutes then came back handed me the license and said have a nice day : )

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1
9 hours ago, roadscholar said:

handed me the license and said have a nice day : )

Polite, grey hair(I assume), and a good story carries the day. I always gave credit to originality:18:

• Haha 1

Roadscholar.....very fortunate.  Might be a good idea in a week or two to take him to lunch.  There is a LEO where I fish.  Got stuck one time with boat attached.  He pulled me out.  Very nice guy.  About every 6 months when I am in his town I ask dispatch to have him call me.  I take him to his favorite seafood joint for lunch.  

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Polite, grey hair(I assume), and a good story carries the day. I always gave credit to originality:18:

Def gray, and I'm sure you've heard it all : )  in my case it was mostly true (had IMSA and FIA licenses from late 70's thru the 90's). Actually got the idea from a girl I knew that started racing about the same time and told me this story years later. She got stopped in her 911S going about a hundred one time and was about to get a ticket so she told the officer she raced cars. He said can you prove it, she reached in the back seat and showed him her driver's suit with her name and blood type on it, he let her go.. 

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Roadscholar.....very fortunate.  Might be a good idea in a week or two to take him to lunch.  There is a LEO where I fish.  Got stuck one time with boat attached.  He pulled me out.  Very nice guy.  About every 6 months when I am in his town I ask dispatch to have him call me.  I take him to his favorite seafood joint for lunch.  

Unfortunately he didn't leave his contact info but did say he lived in the 'hood so I'm keeping an eye out for that white Mustang. If I see it I'll at least wave him down and thank him for what he does everyday and maybe show him where he can catch some real scofflaws : ) 

• Smile 1
6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

and maybe show him where he can catch some real scofflaws : )

You'll just tell him to follow you around??

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

There are some really cool people on this forum, too.  👍🍻

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In the late 90’s I had a Honda VTR1000 Superhawk. I had just put two tires on it and was riding it home. Nice Sunday afternoon, on a divided 4 lane almost home and I’m weaving left to right to wear the slick stuff off the new tires. An oncoming state policeman makes a U-turn, lights me up, so I pull over. He storms up to me, pointing to my Erion slip-ons and yells “Do you know those pipes are illegal per federal law?” Trying to stay calm I replied I had had them going on two years and never had a problem. He laughed and said I’m just kidding I just wanted to see your bike. Turns out he had just moved up for his job from Florida and was an amateur road racer. We talked bikes for like 30 minutes and off we went. He never said one word about my weaving or asked for license or registration etc. 

The bad part was all my neighbors honking and waving as they drove by. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A friend and I took a trip to Nova Scotia In 2011.  We took a ferry from Maine.  Getting off the boat it was a couple miles into town.  We were in unfamiliar territory and behaving ourselves.  As we pulled away from the only stop light in town, a local LEO hit the lights and we pulled over in a parking lot.  We're thinking, oh hell, some sort of customs problem?  The young cop comes up to my friend and says, nothing wrong.  I just like to "light up" your guys from the US on bikes so I can check out what the latest bikes are like.  We had a nice chat and we were on our way, eh.  

• Like 2
  • Smile 1