IGNORED

BMW Dealer Does crap inspection

Skywagon

I rode my bike last week.  It's been about 500 miles since I paid BMW Dealer a kings ransom for a 24K service...you know the one where they put check marks on all the stuff they inspected.  When I got home I had some tar on the wheels and decided to clean them.  I heard some grinding and thought my shaft was going bad.  After some more investigation I was convinced the rear brakes were making noise.  I took them apart today and this was what was left.  Really Mr Dealer you did an inspection 500 miles ago and you checked brakes as good.....  Royally not happy.  I've written to them and we will see what they have to say.  I won't post their name until I see how they respond.  You might remember another post right after I had my inspection.  I pushed the radio button and the who panel caved in.  I opened it up and the tabs were broken off and they had put painters tape in place to hold it.  They said they didn't do that because they didn't take that panel off.  Really...then how did you change the air filter.  Did you lie about and charge me for an air filter or did you take off this panel.  After some floor room heated conversation they ordered a new panel and I put it on.  Check these pads they signed off on.

rear brake.jpg

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I rode my bike last week.  It's been about 500 miles since I paid BMW Dealer a kings ransom for a 24K service...you know the one where they put check marks on all the stuff they inspected.  When I got home I had some tar on the wheels and decided to clean them.  I heard some grinding and thought my shaft was going bad.  After some more investigation I was convinced the rear brakes were making noise.  I took them apart today and this was what was left.  Really Mr Dealer you did an inspection 500 miles ago and you checked brakes as good.....  Royally not happy.  I've written to them and we will see what they have to say.  I won't post their name until I see how they respond.  You might remember another post right after I had my inspection.  I pushed the radio button and the who panel caved in.  I opened it up and the tabs were broken off and they had put painters tape in place to hold it.  They said they didn't do that because they didn't take that panel off.  Really...then how did you change the air filter.  Did you lie about and charge me for an air filter or did you take off this panel.  After some floor room heated conversation they ordered a new panel and I put it on.  Check these pads they signed off on.

Afternoon Skywagon

That is just plain incompetence, or possibly even robbery. 

You know what they say about "if you want it done right!" 

Just tank God they don't work on airplanes_

• Like 2

Wow David!   Is it you, or the bike?  Oh, my.   I hate reading your stories like that.   I guess they had some employee turn-over and the new guy was not aware of the history behind your service issues.  :dontknow:

I hope they come through for you, again.

It is hard to find good help these days.  

I recommend a post maintenance inspection to be done when you pick up the bike in the future, if any.   When they call to let you know it is ready, advise them to be prepared to go over the bike with you.   Maybe they will double check behind someone.  

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

You know what they say about "if you want it done right!" 

That's part of the reason I do the service myself.   However, with my 2018 RT, it looks like it's going to cost me, maybe $1000 to get the tools that I need, i.e. GS-911 and the specific BMW tools for valve and cam checks.  Hmm, $600 service, or $1000 for tools.   Hmmm,  I guess the cost of tools ARE a bargain ...  😏😖  (As a retired guy, my time is cheap.)

The other reason is your quote.   I may be slow, I may be REAL slow, and sometimes overdue things, but the work I do gets done right, as best as I am able.  Most paid service staff aren't going to care that much.  There are a few gems, but most just seem to work to get to the end of their workday; results, are secondary.  

• Like 1

Self maintenance.  C'mon, you're a capable guy, you can easily do the maintenance on one of these bikes.  This board is a wealth of knowledge.  While I don't post too terribly much in the individual bike forums, I do read them quite a bit and search them quite a bit to find the answers to the issues that I've had.

The GSA has been to the dealer one time, the freebie 600 mile service.  The RT has been to the dealer, I think three times for issues I couldn't solve and a transmission replacement (as well as an independent dealer visit tranny rebuild prior).  Other than that, my bikes go to the Rougarou garage for maintenance.......and not "by the book", but "by the gut". 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Self maintenance.  C'mon, you're a capable guy, you can easily do the maintenance on one of these bikes.  This board is a wealth of knowledge.  While I don't post too terribly much in the individual bike forums, I do read them quite a bit and search them quite a bit to find the answers to the issues that I've had.

Not everyone wants to work on their bikes, maybe doesn't have the skills, tools, confidence to do it themselves, a good space to work on it, or maybe it's just a time issue. Sometimes I just don't feel like it. I'll admit that sometimes it gets old working on them.

The real issue here is that a service was paid for, and it wasn't done properly. Unfortunately I've had it happen as well. 

• Like 2

I have the skills and a ton of tools. I obtained my A&P 20 years ago. The only reason the bike was at the dealer was to have new tires put on and the valves checked. I don’t own a tire changer and don’t want one. I hate doing valves. I also have this sickness to try and support dealers a little bit. Everything else I do routinely

I agree this board is a wealth of info and I’ve used it many times to assist me with things… not all motorcycle either. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I have the skills and a ton of tools. I obtained my A&P 20 years ago. The only reason the bike was at the dealer was to have new tires put on and the valves checked. I don’t own a tire changer and don’t want one. I hate doing valves. I also have this sickness to try and support dealers a little bit. Everything else I do routinely

I agree this board is a wealth of info and I’ve used it many times to assist me with things… not all motorcycle either. 

I don't have a tire changer either

Supporting your local dealer is causing you heartache,...... time to find another tech/shop to do your labors.:18:

Independent Harley shops are easy to find, independent BMW shops not so much. Luckily (or maybe not) I don't have to deal with the BMW aspect yet.

Pads arrived.  Already had rears apart.  Cleaned and scotched the rotors, greased the pins, torqued per Brads video.  Pulled the front brakes and to my surprise they were pretty good. Not sure why the rears would wear so much faster since the fronts do most of the work. Changed them anyway since I had new pads. Bled and flushed all brakes since I was that far...but the fluid was good.  New Prestone Dot 4 installed. By the time these wear out I'll be ready for a new ride.  Took me about 45 minutes to do both sets including cleaning up the tools and the garage.  Tomorrow I'll break them in

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Pads arrived.  Already had rears apart.  Cleaned and scotched the rotors, greased the pins, torqued per Brads video.  Pulled the front brakes and to my surprise they were pretty good. Not sure why the rears would wear so much faster since the fronts do most of the work. Changed them anyway since I had new pads. Bled and flushed all brakes since I was that far...but the fluid was good.  New Prestone Dot 4 installed. By the time these wear out I'll be ready for a new ride.  Took me about 45 minutes to do both sets including cleaning up the tools and the garage.  Tomorrow I'll break them in

And saved yourself like $1.5zillion in doing the deed, as well as ensuring it was done correctly,.....or at least to your satisfaction;)

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Independent Harley shops are easy to find, independent BMW shops not so much. Luckily (or maybe not) I don't have to deal with the BMW aspect yet.

Maybe I's just lucky, but we had an independent tech within 2hrs of me when I had tranny issues on the RT.  He did end up moving to the coast and open shop, so 'bout 3.5-4 hours now.

https://www.bombarsbeemers.com/

5 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I don't have a tire changer either

Supporting your local dealer is causing you heartache,...... time to find another tech/shop to do your labors.:18:

Well, I USED to have a tire changer, but he grew up, got married, has a son of his own, and .... well, he'd probably still change my tire, but he's also 1000 miles away.  (Hmmm, road trip next spring, to get new rubber? 🤔😁🤣  I wonder what his response will be when I order a couple of tires and have them delivered to his address.  🙃😁)

• Like 2
  • Smile 2