IGNORED

Changing a tire with spoons

Rougarou

No cords showing? :dontknow: C’mon man, you’re wasting good rubber! :ohboy: :classic_biggrin: Not sure but it looks like you may have made up the difference with the RT rear? Hey, thanks for inviting us over! :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

No cords showing? :dontknow: C’mon man, you’re wasting good rubber! :ohboy: :classic_biggrin: Not sure but it looks like you may have made up the difference with the RT rear? Hey, thanks for inviting us over! :thumbsup:

Ya, they kinda close, but no cords yet, she's a little squirrely in the rain.  The RT's an illusion, that's a fairly new rear.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
lawnchairboy

wonder what specific spoons he is using.  I agree.  impressive.  the primary problem I have with the HF stand is its height.  It is too high off the ground to get good leverage while attempting the tire change.  With two folks it can be done but by myself it involves bad words and busted knuckles.  

getting down low onthe ground like that is a good strategy. 

On 4/14/2023 at 4:20 PM, lawnchairboy said:

wonder what specific spoons he is using.  I agree.  impressive.  the primary problem I have with the HF stand is its height.  It is too high off the ground to get good leverage while attempting the tire change.  With two folks it can be done but by myself it involves bad words and busted knuckles.  

getting down low onthe ground like that is a good strategy. 

These

image.png.b40d4992c716ff374fa5484b9d8f5134.png

• Thanks 1
On 4/14/2023 at 4:20 PM, lawnchairboy said:

as long as one remembers to protect the brake disc and wheel....

Wheel, I'm not concerned too much about, rotor, ya, hence my knee cushion under the wheel.  Also, I have bent a few "tines" on the ABS wheel thingy (I replaced with used one and all is well).  So, one must be observant of where the force is being pushed at times.  

But overall, at less than ten minutes per tire, the time savings of going to a vendor, waiting, and paying $30-60 +/- is worth it.

You can get rim protectors if you're concerned about scratches on the wheels, I bought them, used once/twice, then put them on the shelf and they be collecting cobwebs and dust.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
TheShat6392

Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  I use the same tools and change all my own tires.  I actually really enjoy doing it - it's a fun process learning the techniques if you're patient enough.  

I'm curious - I see you apply the soap before you attempt to break the bead.  Whenever I do this my irons slip out too early when I apply the leverage.  I have to do it dry so the irons can grip the rubber and stay in deep enough for me to get the bead separated from the rim.

Again, thanks.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/7/2023 at 11:56 AM, TheShat6392 said:

Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  I use the same tools and change all my own tires.  I actually really enjoy doing it - it's a fun process learning the techniques if you're patient enough.  

I'm curious - I see you apply the soap before you attempt to break the bead.  Whenever I do this my irons slip out too early when I apply the leverage.  I have to do it dry so the irons can grip the rubber and stay in deep enough for me to get the bead separated from the rim.

Again, thanks.  

Thanks,

Ya, I add the lube before, I dunno, I guess I kinda continue to force the irons where they need to be to break the bead.  Work it around and loosen it as I go.  Typically doesn't take much effort, as you see, only a couple/three hits and the bead is popped and once that bead is popped, just continue to hand push it down.  I think my slippage of the irons is not from slipping on the lubed tires, but the rim itself,....metal on metal.  I've done both with and without lube and seem to have easier luck with it.

• Like 2
  • chrisolson locked this topic