IGNORED

Lesson..do not talk on your cell phone while riding

Andy C

legislation will NOT fix it
Rider,

The proposed solution of dropping connections that are moving is not legislation, and it sounds like it WILL fix it (until someone comes along with a pirate device that is able to disguise your signal some how) smirk.gif

Michael, yes, your solution would fix it. No doubt about that. But there's not a chance in hell that it'll be implemented, because:

a) It destroys many GOOD things about cell phones (see the things people have pointed out above).

b) It's not acceptable to the marketplace that makes money on people being able to make calls.

Unfortunately, you are not king for a day or we could try it. tongue.gif

Who is saying that? I'm certainly not. It does affect my driving. But it's not the biggest issue to affect my driving, and legislation will NOT fix it.

In general, I'm opposed to adding legislation to cover things that are already legislated. We have laws about running red lights, speeding, driving recklessly etc. and I see no reason to make it a bigger offence if you do these things while on the phone. What I do want to see is more aggressive enforcement of existing regulations.

And that's why this issue will never be settled, it's about changing personal behavior, a person who thinks they are not any more of a threat when talking on the phone is just as wrong as a person who thinks they are not a threat because they only had three beers, and they're only driving a few miles home. No law is going to change that person's mind. They have to arrive at the conclusion for themselves.

pete

What I do want to see is more aggressive enforcement of existing regulations.

Pete, I couldn't agree with you more. This would be a great step toward fixing it--aggressive enforcement where cell phone use is impairing driving. thumbsup.gif

The use of a cellphone for conversation with others will not normally effect your driving skills. If you had a passenger with you, you would probably talk to them, The problem with cellphone use is the distraction caused when you are dialing the number. Your eyes are off the road periodically for several seconds. However, with hands free and voice activation, I can't really see a problem. As Andy said, here in the UK the use of cellphones whilst driving is illegal. It is also almost impossible to police. The law was introduced when there were several fatal accidents caused by drivers using cellphones. They were caught, so say, by the timing of the accident against the time recorded on the phone, which is also printed on the bill when it arrives. So there could be checks if fatalities are involved.

Sorry, but using a handsfree device has very little positive effect on driver impairment. That's yet another myth.

Sorry, but using a handsfree device has very little positive effect on driver impairment. That's yet another myth.

I agree with this assessment. Being naturaly cynical, I believe the reason use of hands free was permitted in the UK was that it would be all but impossible to police, whereas seeing someone with a phone in thier hands is easy, leading tho the situation here where the offence is for HOLDING the phone. If only we had traffic police to see it.

Andy

Instead of sensing movement and thus defeating cell phone use why not provide "cell phone zones". They could incorporate these into small structures placed at street corners and outside banks, in airports, any place convenient. Users could step inside and close a door providing a quiet conversation place where others wouldn't hear - oh wait, nevermind that's been done. wink.gif

In the US they are considering allowing cell phone use on airplanes (the technology is there). The FAA's recommendation is to be sure and add air marshalls when they do just to break up the fights. smile.gif

It does affect my driving. But it's not the biggest issue to affect my driving, and legislation will NOT fix it.

There have been studies to show that mentally processing a conversation uses a dis-proportionate amount of brain power in most people, or if you talk and drive at the same time, you're not able to do both at full capacity. You're either driving badly or not completely aware of the conversation you're engaged in. Therefore, it's entirely possible that talking on the cell phone may be the biggest issue affecting your driving (assuming you indulge in the aforementioned, really dumb, activity.... grin.gif But, you're probably correct in stating that legislation won't help...

It does affect my driving. But it's not the biggest issue to affect my driving, and legislation will NOT fix it.

There have been studies to show that mentally processing a conversation uses a dis-proportionate amount of brain power in most people, or if you talk and drive at the same time, you're not able to do both at full capacity. You're either driving badly or not completely aware of the conversation you're engaged in. Therefore, it's entirely possible that talking on the cell phone may be the biggest issue affecting your driving (assuming you indulge in the aforementioned, really dumb, activity.... grin.gif But, you're probably correct in stating that legislation won't help...

Does that include women, apparently they are capable of multi-tasking grin.gifgrin.gif

steveknapp

Sure, but a conversation in the car with a passenger is distracting. Babies can be. Dogs in the car can be.

I find myself better able to dial a phone than surf XM radio stations...I find myself focusing on the screen, waiting for the song info to pop up so I can flip to another station if needed.

Just focus on people who drive bad, for whatever the reason.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Sure, but a conversation in the car with a passenger is distracting. Babies can be. Dogs in the car can be.

And now you've got all three in your household. crazy.gif You'll have to be fitted up for blinders and earplugs (maybe even a separate "driver's compartment") if you go driving with all of them in your car. grin.gif

A prominent local builder recently died on a Yamaha Warrior (cruiser) while talking on a cell.

Unfortunately, most of these folks end up killing or injuring SOMEBODY ELSE. What is an insult to the intelligence is for anybody to say they don't get distracted. These are the people that say accidents happen to others; it's only a matter of time.

Unfortunately, it's going to take legislation, and severe enforcement of it, to curb the current trend; that's why I don't commute at all, and even less in heavy traffic. Later.

pipenslippers
A prominent local builder recently died on a Yamaha Warrior (cruiser) while talking on a cell.

Unfortunately, most of these folks end up killing or injuring SOMEBODY ELSE. What is an insult to the intelligence is for anybody to say they don't get distracted. These are the people that say accidents happen to others; it's only a matter of time.

Unfortunately, it's going to take legislation, and severe enforcement of it, to curb the current trend; that's why I don't commute at all, and even less in heavy traffic. Later.

Nice, if you can get away with it. I spend most of my life on the road (or in hotels). Industry relies on people like me to keep it running. If your high tech thingy breaks down, you want it fixed NOW, which means getting in touch with ME, NOW. I use my hands free kit responsibly in my car to stay in touch with the people who make the stuff which allows you to live the life you do. SELFISH!!!!! Sorry, but you got me worked up. We can't all live the lives we would like to.

steveknapp

What is an insult to the intelligence is for anybody to say they don't get distracted.

The insult is to all the others who have been killed by poor driving that wouldn't be covered by your cell-phone law.

Bad drivers come in all forms...focus on em all.

Bad drivers come in all forms...focus on em all.

I really do think that the more technology we can use to control the behavior of drivers, the better.

Be it cameras (which I think is a good idea), or monitors that sense cell phone movement (a neccessary evil).

Driving is becoming more dangerous all the time just due to the increase in traffic.

As responsible drivers, we need to become even more attentive, not less attentive by adding more distractions.

Drastic measures are going to have to be made because it's obvious that leaving it up to the individual driver doesn't work crazy.gif

Cheers,

Michael

Motorrad4fun

It just goes to show that some do not value there life as much as one may have thought.

All things are good as long as you have the right equipment.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

it is just a self imposed leash.

Well not always. I'm required by work to be reachable at all times to whatever extent possible. Which is why they pay the bill. Which is also why my cell is hooked into the Autocom on the bike and I can auto-answer and converse without my hands ever leaving the bars. Now as for my mind never leaving the bike, about that part I'm not so sure...
What I do want to see is more aggressive enforcement of existing regulations.

Pete, I couldn't agree with you more. This would be a great step toward fixing it--aggressive enforcement where cell phone use is impairing driving. thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately we're at times seeing the opposite. Where an incident goes to court and distraction by a cell phone is seen as mitigating factor rather than an aggravating one, to support lenience.

Now as for my mind never leaving the bike, about that part I'm not so sure...

DANGEROUS! You already know your mind should be on riding NOT on your phone conversation. You're playin' with fire IMHO. You mean a call can't wait until you're off the bike?

Men and women rode motorcycles before there were cellphones and they still managed to run big businesses and make a lot of money.

Men and women rode motorcycles before there were cellphones and they still managed to run big businesses and make a lot of money.

Laura, it's obvious that capitalism will stop at nothing to increase revenues.........smirk.gif it's all about profits!!

To hell with it's effects on society.

(Wow, this thread has really gone sideways) grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than engaging in a diatribe against cell phone usage while driving, I think this thread should focus on the real root cause of crappy drivers on the road:

People with superficial attitudes toward the personal responsibilties of operating motor vehicles, coupled with woefully inadequate driver training and sham license exams that put these dolts on the road with a license to kill/maim.

One area of the law that needs help is creating serious consequences for those that kill with motor vehicles.

You will likely serve more jail time driving the get-away car in a bank robbery than you will for killing a pedestrian while driving distracted, or driving drunk.

Yeah, he was riding one hand on the throttle, the other holding the phone to his ear.

After posting the story, I figured there would be a few folks who have a system like yours. Although I occassionally use the phone in my four wheel, I do not believe I have the mental dexterity or riding experience to have a phone conversation and make motorcycle road decisions at the same time. I guess thats what it comes down to. One of the guys remarked to me (out of earshot) that he thought Mr Harley had more bike than he could handle. Well, at least he did when he added a cell phone.

I have an AutoCom system that can be hooked up to my cell phone to make or take voice-activated calls. I've never even hooked all that crap up to see if it works; the very last thing I want to do while riding is yakkity on the damned phone. Safety issues aside, I ride for enjoyment and to escape from my hectic life of phone calls and other demands. Things can get scary so fast on a bike, I can't imagine purposefully distracting myself by making or taking phone calls while riding.

$0.02

Doug

DANGEROUS! You already know your mind should be on riding NOT on your phone conversation. You're playin' with fire IMHO. You mean a call can't wait until you're off the bike?

As a licensed pilot, I have the capability to land an aircraft in instrument conditions while chattering incessantly with ATC about important stuff. I totally reject the idea that having a casual conversation on a cellphone degrades one's performance while operating a motorized vehicle in most cases.

It might if the content of the conversation is something like: "Honey, I just filed for divorce. You're going to sell your BMW and pay for the kids and I to fly to Paris and move in with my artist friend Pierre. Oh, and the child support will be $1000 a month."

...of course that has to do with the content of the conversation, not the method of delivery.

I think the whole driving while using a cell phone issue has gotten completely out of hand in America.

Do you have real evidence for this? The studies I've seen are mixed, especially compared to adjusting a radio or whatever.

David,

Does one always need a published report to support a known fact? Or are you just stirring the pot again. wink.gif I have read more than one report supporting this issue. However, I would be pressed to produce one of them. As in most things written, there just isn't room to store every paper ever written on every subject/issue.

[quote

As a licensed pilot, I have the capability to land an aircraft in instrument conditions while chattering incessantly with ATC about important stuff. I totally reject the idea that having a casual conversation on a cellphone degrades one's performance while operating a motorized vehicle in most cases.

If everyone who drove got the same level of training that an instrument rated pilot has, you might be right, but that's hardly the case. And I'll bet that your ability to talk and fly at the same time was a learned skill that you initially didn't have. I'll also bet that on occasion you have to ask ATC to repeat some of the conversation because you were too engrossed in flying to absorb all of the conversation. There have been well documented cases of pilots flying planes into the ground because of information overload. There is no good reason you have to use a cell phone when driving and it will degrade your concentration in the right circumstances.

excellent response skinny thumbsup.gif

for most of us............. driving & cell phone chatting go together about as well as trying to watch TV while someone is talking to you.

the distraction is too great, maybe because of the completely visual nature of TV.

driving too is completely visual, it demands our utmost attention.

there is NO excuse for jeopardizing the safety of your passengers and the lives of those in close proximity.

cheers,

michael

those in close proximity

There's another key difference between driving and flying: if you drift 10 feet off your intended course while flying, the consequences under most circumstances are minimal. If you drift 10 feet off your line on any road around here, you'd be very lucky to avoid an accident.

those in close proximity

There's another key difference between driving and flying: if you drift 10 feet off your intended course while flying, the consequences under most circumstances are minimal. If you drift 10 feet off your line on any road around here, you'd be very lucky to avoid an accident.

And the other differences:

a) You are taught that communication is the third priority. The first two are driving (flying) and navigating (the correct line).

b) Talking to ATC ain't like talking to Brenda. There's a short, succinct, meaningful common language SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE THEY RECOGNIZE THAT IT IS A DISTRACTION. Yes, I'm yelling. cool.gif

I agree with this assessment. Being naturaly cynical, I believe the reason use of hands free was permitted in the UK was that it would be all but impossible to police, whereas seeing someone with a phone in thier hands is easy, leading tho the situation here where the offence is for HOLDING the phone. If only we had traffic police to see it

Your cynicism is justified Andy, I took part in the (UK) government consultation exercise before the legislation and this was the view taken. Purely pragmatic and a great shame in my opinion. If I was PM, I would make it illegal to wear Blutooth headsets while driving on the grounds that it makes you look such a wally that other drivers are liable to crash laughing. For some reason they always make me think of Mike Mercury. (Anyone else old enough to remember him?)

For some reason they always make me think of Mike Mercury. (Anyone else old enough to remember him?)

You're not referring to Mike Mercury of Supercar fame, are you? It was one of my favorite shows when I was, oh, 5 yrs young. That and Fireball XL-5.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm getting old. wink.gif

Archived