IGNORED

Lesson..do not talk on your cell phone while riding

Andy C

This did NOT happen to me. I'm just smart enough to realize talking on a cell phone and driving is poor judgement, much less trying to ride a motorbike. And I wear a full face helmet.

The story. I was out for afterwork run in eastern Virginia, weather has been real nice and motorcycles are out in force. I was JRA (just running along) and heard a crash. Got caught up to the accident in time to see a brand new Harley Fat Boy off the road and underneath a tree. Two other guys stopped and we all helped the rider lift it off the ground (soft grass, he was lucky) and onto the kickstand. And folks, I kid you not, as we lifted up his bike, underneath it was an open cellular phone. After he shakes off his nerves (he was okay, just shook up), the guy finally confesses he was actually trying to talk on his cell phone while riding. I was astonished that he even attempted to do that, but I guess its Spring Crazies or something. But how could you even hear the other end over the noise?? Was he MAKING a call or trying to answer one?? Maybe it was just reaction without thought -- "cell phone rings, I answer it".

Anyway, from talking to the other witnesses, he crossed infront of two oncoming cars, wobbled out of control, jumped a curb and layed it down before crashing into a scrubby pine tree.

We stayed until his GF came with the pickup to cart away the Harley. It still ran, so he insisted on riding it up the ramp onto the back of the pickup, which resulted in a mid-ramp stall and another crash from two feet off the pavement. I felt so bad for him. He left cussing heavily, but was a gentleman enough to thank each of us for helping.

So..talking on the cell phone and riding is a bad idea. Luckily this guy learned his lesson without getting killed.

I believe it, I see it all the time down here. The best one I ever saw was a young girl on a crotch rocket riding down a side street with a cell phone held to her ear with her shoulder.

She did have her helmet strapped to the bike, and her sunglasses were very trendy.

pete

Well... my cell phone is connected to the interface of my LT and comes directly into my helmet. The LT interface cuts off the music when the phone rings. The phone is set on auto answer, I don't have a way to make a call without stopping and opening the compartment where it is stored.

It still ran, so he insisted on riding it up the ramp onto the back of the pickup, which resulted in a mid-ramp stall and another crash from two feet off the pavement.

That's what I would call, "having the point driven home". grin.gif

It still ran, so he insisted on riding it up the ramp onto the back of the pickup, which resulted in a mid-ramp stall and another crash from two feet off the pavement.

That's what I would call, "having the point driven home". grin.gif

I have to admit having taken some twisted delight in that part of the story. smirk.gif

Thank goodness he didn't hurt anybody. Either time.

Living in a college town, I see this behavior on bicycles frequently. I even saw one pinhead come to a complete stop, in traffic, as he apparently decided he needed to use both hands on his phone at the same time, but couldn't manage to keep pedaling. "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you our local Darwin Award nominee..." eek.gif

I've not seen it yet on a motorcycle, but I'm not surprised. Disappointed, yes, but not surprised. crazy.gif

Yeah, he was riding one hand on the throttle, the other holding the phone to his ear.

After posting the story, I figured there would be a few folks who have a system like yours. Although I occassionally use the phone in my four wheel, I do not believe I have the mental dexterity or riding experience to have a phone conversation and make motorcycle road decisions at the same time. I guess thats what it comes down to. One of the guys remarked to me (out of earshot) that he thought Mr Harley had more bike than he could handle. Well, at least he did when he added a cell phone.

Living in the land of ear to phone while driving L.A. I have seen my share of nonsense too.

On a raked Harley young Mr. skin tight black tee shirt has his phone shoved

into the strap of his paper thin novelty "hat" trying to take a call over the "blurp blurp blurp" of his pipes as he tooled down the road.

Not to be mean or anything but Lori and I were on my SR500 with a non baffled Supertrapp and I kept seeing his mouth sound out "WHAT!? WHAT!?"

Well at least he had both hands on the bars but I'm sure that would have all changed the second that phone slipped out of his ingenious hands free system....

dopeslap.gif

Needless to say on the SR500 I can't hear a phone ring and barely feel it vibrate as the bike is constantly on vibrate mode!

Incredible reading this. Driving in my car last evening I actually saw a your rider, 17 or so, sending a text message on his cell phone at about 25 mph, bloddy eejit

MrHondamatic

For me, getting away from telephones is a big part of riding. What is wrong with these people? confused.gif

I only carry one with me if I need it in case of ememrgency, not to talk to everyone and their brother.

Probably the most useful tool in my kit is the cell phone. But I don't play with the screwdrivers or pliers when I'm riding either.

I kid you not, as we lifted up his bike, underneath it was an open cellular phone

I thought you were going to say that he picked up the phone and continued his conversation. grin.gif

I think the whole driving while using a cell phone issue has gotten completely out of hand in America.

Not only does it endanger the driver and his/her passengers, but also those unknown drivers and passengers within close proximity (which to me is criminal). blush.gif

A solution is on it's way and here it is in a nutshell:

Your cell phone signal (connection) gets passed along from cell tower to cell tower as your location changes. A simple calculation determines the speed of your movement from cell to cell. If that speed is faster than 25 mph, the connection is dropped. frown.gif

The message is this "If your phone conversation is that important, then pull over to the side of the road."

Ingenious solution if I do say so myself. thumbsup.gif

A solution is on it's way and here it is in a nutshell:

Your cell phone signal (connection) gets passed along from cell tower to cell tower as your location changes. A simple calculation determines the speed of your movement from cell to cell. If that speed is faster than 25 mph, the connection is dropped. frown.gif

The message is this "If your phone conversation is that important, then pull over to the side of the road."

Ingenious solution if I do say so myself. thumbsup.gif

Sorry, I can't agree with this cure. What if it's the passenger who's making the call?? If we're in the car, my wife will call her mom, and I am spared the half hour to forty five minutes of time taken out of my evening! Plus, there are times I have received (or given) real-time directions. With a headset or bluetooth, as long as you start the call while the vehicle is stopped, this is one situation where the cell phone actually improves the situation.

Can't say I disagree with the end result but I'm willing to bet there are quite a number of automobile passengers, commuters on trains, travelers on busses, etc. who won't find it too ingenious. blush.gif

I think the whole driving while using a cell phone issue has gotten completely out of hand in America.

Do you have real evidence for this? The studies I've seen are mixed, especially compared to adjusting a radio or whatever.

Do you have real evidence for this? The studies I've seen are mixed, especially compared to adjusting a radio or whatever.

Well, my 'real evidence' is based upon my real personal experiences as a driver/rider. I commute to work (usually as a rider) 5 days a week and every single day I witness drivers that have there minds elsewhere because of this handy little device their holding in their hand wave.gif and it's apparent in their driving style (weaving, slowing for no reason, fail to signal lane changes, ect.)

Many drivers simply fail to realize that driving an automobile is the MOST dangerous activity that they engage in on a daily basis. I'm sure that statiscally, a very high percentage of traffic related deaths are caused by in-attentive drivers and I've never read the results of a study that suggests that 'driving while talking on a cell phone' enhances your ability to pay attention to the road.

As for car passengers, and those on buses and trains, it's a cheap price to pay for safety.

Cheers,

Michael

I commute to work (usually as a rider) 5 days a week and every single day I witness drivers that have there minds elsewhere because of this handy little device their holding in their hand wave.gif and it's apparent in their driving style (weaving, slowing for no reason, fail to signal lane changes, ect.)

If you think that's bad in OK, imagine how it is here in CA.

safety[/i].

Cheers,

Michael

Not to put too fine a point on it, but let's hope they don't consider your rationale when they decide it's safer to outlaw 2 wheels in favor of 4 because it's a "cheap price" for those riders to pay. thumbsup.gif

safer to outlaw 2 wheels in favor of 4 because it's a "cheap price" for those riders to pay

Now Al !!!

that's taking it just a little to far. grin.gif

pipenslippers

Just a word of caution. I carry a phone with me on the bike (for emergencies)and usually have it in the left upper inside pocket of my jacket. I came off my bike the other day, and the injury I am suffering most with was caused when I landed on my phone, which promptly bruised my chest and ribs big time! I'm trying to think of somewhere SAFE to carry the phone now. (It still works, which is more than can be said for me or the bike : confused.gif)

smkymtntaco

Ouch, Pippenslippers! Sorry to hear about the bruised ribs. Carry your phone where I carry mine, inside your courier bag, strapped across your chest. My courier bag (by Ducati) has a clip, like the ones on tankbag straps, on the strap where you could clip a purpose built phone carrier.

Well, my 'real evidence' is based upon my real personal experiences as a driver/rider.

Well, unfortunately that's not quite enough. Or fortunately, is what I really mean. This sort of knee-jerk, jump on the bandwagon reaction is exactly what we don't need. It'll only result in a) more laws (not good), like to be useless (not good), and c) certainly unenforceable (not good).

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I'm sick and tired of broad brush popular reactionism that demonizes behavior. So before you smack me on the head tongue.gif, let me suggest some things for you to think about:

1) Talking on a cell phone means that you are 130% as likely to have an accident. That's significantly lower than many other causes, like reaching for something in the car (900%); looking at a billboard or pedestrian (370%); reading (300%); applying makeup (300%); yada yada. So let's concentrate where the danger really is and outlaw billboards and pedestrians. grin.gif Source: Study by NHTSA and Virginia Tech.

2) Spend a little time looking and you'll not likely find a single instance where passing a law banning cell phone use while driving has had any affect at all. Start with Santa Fe.

Now be gentle. smile.gif

pipenslippers

That sounds like a good solution, but I am wary of carrying it anywhere on my person now. I'm thinking it would be better off in the right glovebox in the fairing. ....But if I get seperated from the bike...? I know, tied to a bungey cord but mounted on a quick detach mount on the bike. If I crash, the bungey cord makes sure it comes with me! ... Yes! ...Er, no. It would probably fly after me and hit me so hard it would cause more injuries than the crash.

I can't win ...... bncry.gif

russell_bynum

I witness drivers that have there minds elsewhere

The phone is not the problem...the driver is.

Rider,

I'm not in favor of implementing more laws either because a law still leaves the judgment in the hands of the driver and I don't want to trust the driver any more than necessary. crazy.gif

The reason I thought that the technology remedy was so elegant was that it's not a law (as in a law that people must obey or be reckoned with). It would make using cell phones while traveling a mute point.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were technological solutions to all of the issues that you raised?

What if there were such a thing as an infallible alcohol sensor that would turn off the ignition when activated.

Imagine what a weapon that would be towards saving lives.

clap.gif

Would you have a problem with that too......

Cheers,

Michael

russell_bynum

The reason I thought that the technology remedy was so elegant was that it's not a law (as in a law that people must obey or be reckoned with). It would make using cell phones while traveling a mute point.

So....If I'm on I-10 (long, flat, straigh) in the middle of the desert in very light traffic, I can't talk on the phone?

This is a culture issue not a legal or technology issue.

Until people start taking driving seriously, nothing is going to get better.

2) Spend a little time looking and you'll not likely find a single instance where passing a law banning cell phone use while driving has had any affect at all. Start with Santa Fe.

Now be gentle. smile.gif

For a few years now it has been illegal for a driver in the UK to hold a mobile (cell) phone whilst moving - hands free kits are legal. Since its inception my non-scientific observations suggest hand-held use of such devices has at least doubled - so it seems to have had some effect grin.gif

Of course, if we hadn't replaced most of our traffic officers with speed cameras the law might have worked - and road deaths may still have been on the decline (not just from phones), as they were prior to speed cameras.

Andy

pipenslippers
Rider,

Cheers,

Michael

Michael, Just a question here, nothing more. My wife and I use BMW Bluetooth Intercom. She "bluetooths" her phone to her helmet so when she is pillion she can answer calls. This would be a problem with the technology solution. What do you think about pillions answering calls? Her phone stays in her pocket.

Cheers, Brian

Russell I think you hit the nail right on the head. clap.gif

It's just too bad that people won't change and we have to be governed into behaving..... frown.gif

Michael

Actually a quick look at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety shows their research, based on a 2 year study, indicates drivers using cell phones are 4 times more likely to be involved in a crash resulting in injuries. I, however, prefer to take statistics with healthy doses of skeptisism so I can't vouch for IIHS agenda or VA Tech's.

It does seem reasonable that, while drivers might participate in all the activities listed in the VA Tech study, it's doubtful that they would, for example, reach for something continuously for an hour whereas phone conversations could easily span that duration. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Unfortunately one reach may be all it takes. Last year a young man in a pickup here reached down for a dropped CD and left the road hitting a tree which killed his passenger.

Brian,

The way I understand it, the effect would prohibit all moving cell signals (over 25 mph). It doesn't matter if it's the driver or the passenger, if your in a car or on a motorcycle, bus, plane or train.

It's pretty much a blanket being thrown over the whole issue.

Someone above made the observation that a driver is 4 times more likely to be involved in an accident while using a cell phone. To me, that is totally irresponsible and unacceptable. eek.gif If I'm not mistaking, that's about the same odds as someone driving while intoxicated (at the legal limit).

A technological solution like the one being considered would be choosing the lesser of two evils I suppose. confused.gif

Cheers,

Michael

russell_bynum
Unfortunately one reach may be all it takes. Last year a young man in a pickup here reached down for a dropped CD and left the road hitting a tree which killed his passenger.

See...and the problem isn't that people are reaching for fallen CD's. The problem is that they're not thinking about when it might be OK to reach for a dropped CD. And they don't think about those things because they don't take driving seriously.

Are there times when it would be perfectly fine to reach for a dropped CD? Sure. "When is it OK?" is going to depend on each individual driver and situation. But nobody thinks about that. The phone rings, and they're "not doing anything else", so they answer it. The CD falls and they're "not doing anything else", so they lean down and pick it up.

I don't get it, I just DON'T get it. What is with this cellphone addiction? It's a leash.

THERE WAS LIFE BEFORE CELLPHONES !! Mine is OFF 95% of the time and I lead a very active good life without it. It's there in case of an emergency.

DON'T BE TIED TO YOUR ELECTRONIC LEASH PEOPLE !!!

For your sake and everyone else's......... HANG UP AND DRIVE !!!

Paul_Burkett

Laura, I know what you are saying, we are addicted to this terrible thing and it is only getting worse. I for sure am an offender that needs help. Here I am driving in traffic with my laptop hooked in to my cell phone, trying to type this response, and I am having trouble passing this idiot in front of me putting on her make-up. Have they no care for their fellow drivers? grin.gif

But in all seriousness, life was so much easier before we got all of these convenience devices, Now days, I can't leave the house to go to work without a cell phone, the PDA, GPS and and laptop. Some times it is a good thing, and other times, it is just a self imposed leash.

Paul, you left out the medical implications here as well. I have seen reputable sources which cite that excessive cell phone use can put microwaves in your brain. His name was Larry the Cable Guy so I assume he was an expert on electronics. grin.gif

Paul_Burkett

I don't know if that's true. If it puts microwaves in my head, why is it that when I put coffee in my mouth, it only gets colder

steveknapp

Now days, I can't leave the house to go to work without a cell phone, the PDA, GPS and and laptop.

There are some really good solutions that combine many of these. Even low-tier phones have GPS in them, the apps that give turn-by-turn directions are really quite good.

Get a Treo w/ Telenav on it and call it done ! smile.gif

As far as them being a leash, I see it the other way. My "smartphone" gives me the ability to be in the office when I'm not.

Now having a job where I need to be connected, that *is* an issue. But that's not the fault of the cell phone, that's the fault of the job.

Although I don't have and never have had a cellphone, I don't think they are public enemy number one. I do have two observations.

You'll frequently hear how wonderful the cellphone is since it allows a person to do two things at once. Yes, it allows you to do two things POORLY at the same time. Want an example? Next trip to the supermarket take a look around, I assure you that you will see someone standing in the middle of the aisle, holding a can of beans while mumbling their way through a conversation. Or they will be shuffling zombie like down the aisle. I call them "remotely piloted grocery drones" since they'll often be heard to say something like "Do we eat avocados?" or "The 47 ounce ketchup is 2.7 cents per ounce but the 24 ounce ketchup is 3.1 cents per ounce, do we use enough to buy the 47 ounce?"

My other point concerns the idea that the phone doesn't affect a person's driving. Sorry, but that's like the old saying that "I drive better when I'm drunk, because I'm more careful"

Sorry folks, but if you think the cellphone doesn't affect your driving, you are just the person who scares me.

pete

"The 47 ounce ketchup is 2.7 cents per ounce but the 24 ounce ketchup is 3.1 cents per ounce, do we use enough to buy the 47 ounce?"

clap.gif

Sorry folks, but if you think the cellphone doesn't affect your driving, you are just the person who scares me.

Who is saying that? I'm certainly not. It does affect my driving. But it's not the biggest issue to affect my driving, and legislation will NOT fix it.

legislation will NOT fix it
Rider,

The proposed solution of dropping connections that are moving is not legislation, and it sounds like it WILL fix it (until someone comes along with a pirate device that is able to disguise your signal some how) smirk.gif

Cheers,

Michael

Archived