IGNORED

Advice - elegant solution for accessory port to USB

nateschisler

nateschisler

Hi friends,

2009 R1200RT

I'm pulling my front fairing off this weekend for some LED projects (headlights, turn signals, parking lamps).  While I'm poking around in there, I'd like to install a cigarette plug or USB port that's driven from my accessory port (normally used for the GPS).  The objective is to get a cigarette port, or weatherproof USB port somewhere near the steering column, that I can use to charge accessory devices mounted on my handlebars (phone, GoPro, etc).  I've seen various solutions that go from the aux charging port (like a DIN connector).  I'm looking for something that preserves the factory connector and results in either of the above 2 options.  I guess I'm resistant to the idea of cutting off the factory connector unless I absolutely have to...suggestions?

I've used these a couple of times, a hard-wired 12V to 3A@5V USB adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEF293V I've got one on my RT, powered by that connector you mentioned, and I use it for powering my iPhone.  I did find a mate for that connector so I didn't have to cut any wires; I can probably dig that up, but I don't have the link off the top of my head.  You could also just get a Powerlet USB adapter and run cables directly to the port on the left fairing…

nateschisler

Super slick.  I think the connector is actually this guy (found in youtube video of all things).  Trying to avoid the cable running over to the fairing at all costs...

Joe Frickin' Friday

I bought one of these:

image.png.a0c47ce7a3f7ffc8d80c18caa99ab771.png

and stuck it in the inboard side of my glovebox.  The trick is to find a location on the glovebox wall where the backside of this thing doesn't interfere with the steering slider.  I got this wrong on the first try; second choice of location (further to the rear) worked out better.  It's powered by connection to an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse panel mounted under my seat, though I suppose you could just as easily splice it into the bike's powerlet port wiring.  

Mine works well for charging things inside the glovebox.  I suppose you could snake a standard USB cord out from under the glovebox lid to charge things mounted on your handlebars.  

I also have a USB charging cord similar to what blalor posted, except instead of a USB-A socket, it's got a USB-micro plug.  Powered from my under-seat fuse panel, it's zip-tied in place all the way up to my right handlebar, where it powers a Spot GPS messenger mounted on the front brake reservoir.

Similar to Joe,

I got this one back in 2013.  

71jjOPzrzbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have it fused and direct connect to the battery, I've left my phone plugged and charging all day a few times while at work.  I've also used it on long day rides when the Sena decides "low battery", stop, plug up and viola', powered headset again.  

It's mounted where the red circle is (stock photo). 

image.png.b67ac04ea3b30b22d10270d463125e2c.png