IGNORED

headed west from FL to CA?

I'm leaving Florida headed cross country on May 4 returning about June 4.  My plan up to now has been to spend a few days in the Texas hill country before heading to New Mexico and north through the mountains to Taos and then west through Utah on the way to Reno to turn around and head back spending more time in Utah, Colorado and NM on the way home.  Well on a whim, I spent several hours during the past few days plotting an alternate course of action going west to exclude northern NM and Utah and head for SoCal. The route would allow me to ride some regarded AZ roads and then on to several canyon roads CA I’ve heard about and working my way up along the western side of the mountains and then cross over at Lee Vining and on to Reno.  This morning based on a nighttime thought I guess, I checked CalTrans only to find out that the roads, 120 and 108, are not normally open until much later than I am planning to travel.  Also several miles of hwy 2, Angeles Crest, are closed on the eastern end of the highway.  I’m sort of bummed because I had got myself all worked up looking at the maps of areas I have always wanted to see.  I guess I will put all into my Nav and decide where to go once I reach Texas.  I suppose there is always the chance that the roads might be passable by mid May.  If there is anyone from California that can provide any local knowledge here, it would be appreciated.  some preliminary tracks for the southern segments are attached. These will be refined to 5 days, possible 6 if I indeed go this way.

Thanks

big bear to kings canyon.gpx kings canyon to lee vining.gpx las cruces to prescott.gpx Prescott to big bear.gpx

• Like 1

There are several roads outside San Diego, as well.  In the Angeles Crest "neighborhood," don't rule out all those East of the 15 and North of the 210 (Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, etc.).  Try looking at Motorcycleroads.com for some suggestions.

For my trip back from out west to Florida, I've got a huge blank spot in my experience between northwestern Arkansas and  say  the eastern tip of TN. Can anyone help with non-interstate route suggestions to get across TN?  I would certainly appreciate any. Thanks

You have some good routes through AZ! Watch your speed as you pass through Yarnell and do not push your gas supply as it can be long distances between gas stations here in the West. Enjoy!

On 4/26/2021 at 8:30 AM, bwpsg42 said:

For my trip back from out west to Florida, I've got a huge blank spot in my experience between northwestern Arkansas and  say  the eastern tip of TN. Can anyone help with non-interstate route suggestions to get across TN?  I would certainly appreciate any. Thanks

I avoid the Memphis TN area like the plague.  You might consider working your way southeast through Arkansas down to Highway 82, crossing the Mississippi River at Greenville, MS, then (still on 82) over to Tuscaloosa AL, and visiting Barber's Motorsports Museum/Road track in Leeds AL (about 20 miles east of Birmingham), a world-class venue.  IF you get that close, I can offer you a free night's lodging at The Treehouse at Lake Logan Martin.  If you take me up on the offer, take hwy 25 from Leeds to Vincent (a GREAT bike road), and I'll give you directions to The Treehouse in a private message.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Take hwy 25 from Leeds to Vincent (a GREAT bike road).

Just felt obligated to quote this sage advice.  25 is a gem.

You guys must be looking over my shoulder somehow .  From the Taos area, about June 6, I'll be heading across the northern part of OK to spend a couple days riding the fine Arkansas roads centering on the Jasper, AR area.  From there, I'll be meandering down to the US49 crossing near Helena, southwest of Memphis, and on through MS on a beeline for the Barber.  I visited there in 2015 and have been wanting to do so again.  From there, across 25 to Vincent then up past Talladega to the top part of Cheaha park and then south through he park before heading through Georgia to Florida. John, that's a great offer, thanks.  I'll look for your message.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bwpsg42 said:

You guys must be looking over my shoulder somehow .  From the Taos area, about June 6, I'll be heading across the northern part of OK to spend a couple days riding the fine Arkansas roads centering on the Jasper, AR area.  From there, I'll be meandering down to the US49 crossing near Helena, southwest of Memphis, and on through MS on a beeline for the Barber.  I visited there in 2015 and have been wanting to do so again.  From there, across 25 to Vincent then up past Talladega to the top part of Cheaha park and then south through he park before heading through Georgia to Florida. John, that's a great offer, thanks.  I'll look for your message.

Sounds like a plan!:18:

• 2 weeks later...

This week i made it to Austin, Tx. Since my real ride plans begin at Texas, i planned to make miles as quickly as possible. I rode up from the FL Keys as far as Tallahassee on the interstate. Not far past there, the weather started to degenerate, so I took a jog north and travelled on US84 across AL and MS. That was a totally enjoyable ride. Nice road surface, pretty scenery, and no traffic. LA28 and LA8 across Louisiana into Texas. I took a variety of roads across and into Austin where I stayed a couple nights visiting friends and relatives. 25 years since i was last in Austin and you couldn't pay me to live there now. Traffic made even leaving ugly. I finally rode north until i could head west to reach hwy 16 to begin heading south. Staying in Kerrville a couple days to spend time on the nice roads surrounding this area. 

• Like 3