IGNORED

CA Registration of my first BMW

stirfoo

I purchased a 1998 R1100RT from a private seller here in CA. The bike was last registered in NV and the title is from TX. I found out the bike was orginally sold right here in Sacramento, CA.  The dealer had stamped the pre-delivery and 600mi inspections in the service manual. I have 3 of 4 of the DMV requirements to register it. VIN, engine ID, and BMW smog label (under the seat). However, the Federal label cannot be found. I watched a lot of yootoob videos of folks working on their R1100RT's and from what I can tell, the label is supposed to be directly under the stamped VIN on the steering neck. The DMV referred me to CHP.

I'm just trying to collect any and all information I can before dealing with the CHP. The thought of having someone create a label for me crossed my mind. That's easily do-able today, but I'm trying to follow the rules and be 100% legit. I did a bit of searching here and found a couple of 10 year old posts but didn't want to be a necroposter.

The bike just turned 37k and is in fantastic condition as far as I can tell. I really, really want to put some miles on this thing. It's frickin awesome.

20210418_085407.jpg

Stirfoo. Congrats on the bike. What exactly is your question? Is there a picture I can send to you of the tag? I've never noticed it but would be glad to look for it.  Where in CA are you? I'm in Santa Cruz and have an R1100RT.

Miguel

Hi Miguel. I don't suppose I do have any particular question. This is my first bike since riding off-road decades ago so everything is new to me. A pic would be great, if just to verify the actual location. I was hoping a member of the group might have dealt with the CHP in this manner recently. As I said, I found some really old posts but I have no idea if things have changed since. Oh and I'm in Sacramento.

I have no idea what ou need but I'll look for the label and photo it if I find it. Eitherway, I'll get back to you. I used to live in Midtown Sacto. I was in Davis for 5 years of grad school and another  year of teaching. Nice place. Some excellent riding out that way. Miguel

• Like 1