IGNORED

GPS - Phone bracket project

Rider1260

With the addition of my Cardo Packtalk Slim and the XM app on my phone , I wanted to have better visual of my GPS and be able to see my phone I did check out the Migsel and the Wunderlich mounts and they look killer ( liked the Migsel better ) then I saw a  YouTube vid of a home made option I decided to give it a go because there is snow and cold in april ;(  

Part 1 fab 

1 1/2 in Alum angle , Broke my only jig saw blade so I cut this with an Oscillating Cutter to lazy to make another hardware store trip yet. 

bent it by hand , filed to this shape. 

waiting on 2 - Ram ball mounts before I drill for  positions. 

It fits as is but I think I will make it smaller once I have the mounts

I am now thinking what to cover/paint it with might experiment with Flex Seal or Truck bed liner see what looks better. 

really sturdy even with the stock too short screws 

IMG_7055.JPG

IMG_7056.JPG

IMG_7057.JPG

IMG_7058.JPG

IMG_7059.JPG

Word of advice. I have a factory (3rd party) GPS bracket on my '06, name escapes me. It uses the same two bolts you use to bolt to the bike. I had to fabricate a couple of alu brackets to go under the plastic and strengthen the two bolt positions you use, because the whole thing was vibrating like mad with the porky Zumo 595 on it. Even with the additional brackets it was never completely rock solid until I went for the much lighter Zumo XT. Your Zumo and a phone will definitely test the support system.

I bought my bike with that bracket fitted, used to hold an old and very tiny Tomtom,  I have no idea if anything was missing under the plastic or not. Did not seem to me but I never checked the parts diagrams.

Also be mindful how far up the phone will stick in case you lower the screen all the way.

Thanks for the heads up , I got longer screws today and it seems very solid the Migsel mount uses the same mounting points , the wunderlich does have a support underneath. 

I will check it out when I run the wiring tomorrow, 

I was able to lift the front tire off the ground by the mount ( on the center stand ) 

Luckly I like things to be mounted lower, I was planing to have everything to run just above the gauges. 

My GPS Zumo 396LT and a iPhone SE are on the smaller and lighter side so I am confident otherwise I can still use the ball I have on the handlebar mount for the phone. 

https://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Hk-LNvxqw

So a productive day today , mocked up the placement of things , don't have the X Mount for the phone yet , narrowed the one I got for the bicycle just to see , trimmed the bracket down another 3/4"  and painted ( not pictured )  re - routed the power cable for the GPS . 

Checked the mounting points and it seems solid , I have an idea to reinforce if need be after testing. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

8.JPG

Decided to just do a reinforcement bar like the wunderlich mount , used 3/4 x 1/16 alum angle to make mine to keep it light as possible. 

Waiting on the Flex Seal to dry , kinda cool how it smooths out when it drys overnight , its just dry to the touch for the mock up pic. 

Looks like Monday the weather changing for the better so a shake down ride will be in order

total cost in materials for the mount was $60 it would have been less if I could have found smaller pieces of Alum and not bought a couple kinds of paint. 

Fri 1.JPG

Fri 2.JPG

Fri 3.JPG

Fri4.JPG

Well it looks like a nice piece , and what I would have gotten if I had less time on my hands. 

Tommorow is the full install can't wait to see if it works as I hope. 

I did finish the install and am happy with the look , the weather was not playing along so no test ride. :( 

I might still play with the angle to get the stuff lower over the gauges we will see on the shakedown cruze. 

Sun 1 .JPG

Sun 2.JPG

Sun 3.JPG

Sun 4.JPG

Sun 5.JPG

Sun 6.JPG

Sun 7 .JPG

Looks very good. Don't you wish the iPhone was rotating the home screen too when in landscape orientation like some Android phones do?