Jump to content

Talk to Me About a Used GSA


Mike

Recommended Posts

I’ve been corresponding with a gent in the St. Louis area about a ‘17 GSA with just over 1,000 miles on it. I need to work through some trust issues on this one, but the guy indicates that he’s never done anything to it...no 600 mile service, no oil or brake fluid change.

The 600 mile service thing doesn’t bother me too much since it’s not far beyond that mileage, but I’m a bit concerned about four years without a brake fluid exchange. Any thoughts on this or other issues with a bike that’s essentially been unused, but also unserviced , over four years?

Link to comment
Skywagon

It probably depends on how it has been stored.  Since the whizzy brakes went away, personally I don't think it's quite as big a deal.  This comes from a guy who flushes the brakes with every oil change.....  I would look at the fluid for color, work the brakes to make sure the calipers aren't goo'd up or stuck and return when released.  When was the last time you changed the fluid on your car?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
dirtrider
13 hours ago, Mike said:

I’ve been corresponding with a gent in the St. Louis area about a ‘17 GSA with just over 1,000 miles on it. I need to work through some trust issues on this one, but the guy indicates that he’s never done anything to it...no 600 mile service, no oil or brake fluid change.

The 600 mile service thing doesn’t bother me too much since it’s not far beyond that mileage, but I’m a bit concerned about four years without a brake fluid exchange. Any thoughts on this or other issues with a bike that’s essentially been unused, but also unserviced , over four years?

Evening Mike

 

It DEPENDS, if it was only ridden a few times in good weather, was stored in a somewhat dry low humidity environment & was not washed then stored without drying the engine or brakes  then I wouldn't worry to much. 

 

But there is also a chance that it was stored in a bad environment with no care before storage.

 

I would probably worry more about the fuel system if it still has 2 or 3 year old E-10 alcohol gasoline in it (that stuff doesn't store well at all).

 

My personal take is: that is a motorcycle that you really should personally inspect, smell the gasoline, look in the brake reservoirs for dark fluid, look for other signs of incorrect storage.

 

It might be jewel or might be a pig in a polk!

 

 

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Mike

 

It DEPENDS, if it was only ridden a few times in good weather, was stored in a somewhat dry low humidity environment & was not washed then stored without drying the engine or brakes  then I wouldn't worry to much. 

 

But there is also a chance that it was stored in a bad environment with no care before storage.

 

I would probably worry more about the fuel system if still has 2 or 3 year old E-10 alcohol gasoline in it (that stuff doesn't store well at all).

 

My personal take is: that is a motorcycle that you really should personally inspect, smell the gasoline, look in the brake reservoirs for dark fluid, look for other signs or incorrect storage.

 

It might be jewel or might be a pig in a polk!

 

 

Thanks. That’s pretty much what I was thinking, but it’s good to get an informed opinion. I’m less than 100% sure about this, but I’m thinking this might be a good situation in which to offer to pay for an inspection at the nearby BMW dealer, where he bought it (Gateway in St. Louis).

Link to comment
Rougarou
1 hour ago, Mike said:

but I’m a bit concerned about four years without a brake fluid exchange. Any thoughts on this or other issues with a bike that’s essentially been unused, but also unserviced , over four years?

 

At 140k on the 2006 RT, the brake fluid has been changed once.  Brakes operate fine, whizzy's still be a whizzying.  So that's a 15 year old bike and you're only looking at a four year old bike with 1k.......just sayin',.......

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

100 % dependent on whether the bike was stored in a temperature, and humidity controlled environment. You should be able to determine that by visual inspection. Also, is the seller the original owner? I purchased a 2014 R1200 GS last year, with 14k miles. Brakes worked fine, but, when I went to flush the system, it was full of goo. Cleaned out both master cylinders and flushed system.  No damage to the brake system.

 

IMG_20210109_123357_01_1.jpg

Link to comment
dirtrider
14 hours ago, Mike said:

Thanks. That’s pretty much what I was thinking, but it’s good to get an informed opinion. I’m less than 100% sure about this, but I’m thinking this might be a good situation in which to offer to pay for an inspection at the nearby BMW dealer, where he bought it (Gateway in St. Louis).

Morning Mike

 

You need to do a little homework before relying on a dealer inspection. Did the guy selling the GS just buy a new motorcycle from that dealer? Get him talking to see if he recently bought another motorcycle. If so from what dealer?

 

If he bought a new motorcycle then why didn't that dealer make him a decent trade-in offer? 

 

If the GS seller has a tie to that dealer (new bike from them etc)  that dealer might bend the rules a little in trying to help him sell it. Maybe not outright deception but just kind of overlook things they shouldn't. 

 

Some dealers are trust worthy, some not so much,  others are incompetent,  or some are just plain lazy. 

 

Personally, I would want to do my own inspection, if that wasn't possible then I would try to get a number of close up high detail pictures of the engine, exhaust, front & rear wheels, bolts & other parts that tend to show corrosion or rust. 

 

This needs to be handled in a way that doesn't alert the seller about your intentions.

 

If that motorcycle had mileage on it that reflected regular riding then I wouldn't worry so much, but with it's age & lack of matching miles that motorcycle has obviously been sitting or stored for longer periods  & THAT always puts up a red flag for me. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...