IGNORED

dealer claims new R1250RT does not come with reflectors

bimmers

So I bought a new R1250RT and now waiting for software upgrade before delivery. Noticed the that the bike did not have reflectors on the panniers and told them it comes with them and they need to be part of a $27k bike. In Germany I have seen them with BMW Logos but here they always had the reflectors because of legal requirement.

What else should I look out for now that I already found this shortage in delivery?

What should the Owner package contain? I just got a Manual and one remote key and one plastic key?

Somewhat disillusioned already at this point. 

h

I looked at a couple of dealer web sites...no affiliation with any of them.  It seems the 2021 1600's have reflectors and the 2020 RT's have reflectors....but the 2021 RT's I saw on line did not.  Here is a website you can take a look at.  I suspect the panniers are the same.  If it bothers you a lot you might ask them to sway the bags with a 2020 model.

New BMW Touring Motorcycles | Bob's BMW

The online images without reflectors are stock images of euro spec machines. All US versions come with reflectors per USDOT regulations..... yes it's the law. Your bike should have had them in the crate and the PDI personnel should have installed them......Period.

Looks like the front of your bike has them........

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

The online images without reflectors are stock images of euro spec machines. All US versions come with reflectors per USDOT regulations..... yes it's the law. Your bike should have had them in the crate and the PDI personnel should have installed them......Period.

Looks like the front of your bike has them........

My 2002 R1150RT didn't come with reflectors they did have the on the frame in the rear.  I added them, I too believe they need to be there. 

1 hour ago, bimmers said:

So I bought a new R1250RT and now waiting for software upgrade before delivery. Noticed the that the bike did not have reflectors on the panniers and told them it comes with them and they need to be part of a $27k bike. In Germany I have seen them with BMW Logos but here they always had the reflectors because of legal requirement.

What else should I look out for now that I already found this shortage in delivery?

What should the Owner package contain? I just got a Manual and one remote key and one plastic key?

Somewhat disillusioned already at this point. 

h

Maybe it went the way of the radio in the 2021 RT.

5 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

Maybe it went the way of the radio in the 2021 RT.

Should only be the case if the reflectors have computer chips in them...

fourteenfour

Looking at Cycle Trade all the ones I found have the reflectors, but that is a US requirement, and I doubt BMW NA wants a stop sale over reflectors considering the mess that caused for the GS models.

Euro std is the logo BMW.

US DOT std is reflector. 
it should have been in kit for install. 
stop sale would be ultimate punishment.

h

BMW is not going to allow the bikes to be grounded over reflectors.  If DOT says they need to be there the dealer cant sell it unless they are there, or at least put a inspection sticker on it.  Me I would cut two pieces of any reflective tape and call it a day until it was squared away. 

If I was waiting on a new bike and could not pick it up over reflectors on bags I would be furious.  I would tell them keep the bags until they are legal.

Such small and silly stuff.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LAF said:

BMW is not going to allow the bikes to be grounded over reflectors.  If DOT says they need to be there the dealer cant sell it unless they are there, or at least put a inspection sticker on it.  Me I would cut two pieces of any reflective tape and call it a day until it was squared away. 

If I was waiting on a new bike and could not pick it up over reflectors on bags I would be furious.  I would tell them keep the bags until they are legal.

Lee, it has happened before: https://www.carandbike.com/news/bmw-recalls-over-29-000-motorcycles-for-reflector-issue-1736088

1 hour ago, LAF said:

My issue is not with the reflectors....... It is with his Dealer's blatant outright LIE! If they lie about this small, not very important issue, would any one of us trust them with a diagnosis??????

Dealer is getting really good money selling BMW product..... this level of customer service is unacceptable. OP should flame them with Motorrad as they (Motorrad) will follow up. 

• Like 2
On 4/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, alegerlotz said:

Should only be the case if the reflectors have computer chips in them...

meh....seems like a bit of a money grab if (according to Tucson dealer) they're setting three phases of no radio / radio prep / radio.................IMHO

19 hours ago, Chris K said:

I am aware of this.  It is just so silly. 

Again a temp piece of reflective tape would solve the issue until the dealer gets the reflectors.

Again BMW just confuses the heck out of me.  How can all this kind of stuff happen?  Yes there is/was a pandemic, yes there were chip shortages, yes Hayes brakes leaked, but how do you ship bikes to a country without the right safety standards for that country?

Just a calamity of errors I think. 

19 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

My issue is not with the reflectors....... It is with his Dealer's blatant outright LIE! If they lie about this small, not very important issue, would any one of us trust them with a diagnosis??????

Dealer is getting really good money selling BMW product..... this level of customer service is unacceptable. OP should flame them with Motorrad as they (Motorrad) will follow up. 

And exactly why I gave up on dealers many, many years ago on cars and bikes.  I will do any recall but other then that I never see a dealer

How can you trust them?

What pisses me off is the tech just got done replacing something, you ask about that same something, and Service will tell you "well we have never seen that".  BS  Then you will tell them you read on a forum about this or that and you get "well you cant believe the internet" or "we have never heard of that". BS

When I was active checking cam timing and I told two dealers and they said they had never checked cam timing on bikes.  Well they did after that as people began asking and they never even had the tools before I said something. And of course they made a hell of a lot of money checking cam timing.  I am sure way more the me :-)

Now I know there are good dealers out there but I trust none of them.  They will lie right to your face, and I dont care how much money you spend with them to try and develop a relationship with them in the hopes they will go to bat for you in a issue, and they will just stand by while you get raped by BMW, not even offering Vaseline.  As the mom and pop BMW shops got phased out for the Corporate Image they now are, customer loyalty went out the window for numbers.

Your best bet is look at JVB or Boxflyer's videos and information and turn your own wrench.  NO ONE will work on your bike like you do.  I know that does not work for everyone and some have to use a dealer.  I know on here and other forums people say what dealer is best in any area and I would heed those opinions well.  I have 2, 1 is about 7 miles away, the other is around 80.  I drive the 80 miles for any need I have of a dealer.  Hermey's is a great dealer and owner and is the most honest guy I have ever met.  He made me whole on my deal on my GS and I spent every penny he reimbursed me from the deal in his store on gear.  Just the way I feel it should be.  But I do not trust just anyone to turn a wrench on my bike and that is what you get in a BMW shop unless you request and then you still do not know for sure.

All this over a set of reflectors.  The guy could have said hey I will check on it and get you two in.  Instead he lied, made a customer pissed and loose faith in his Shop over what in BMW money 10-20 bucks?

• Like 2

First thing I did with my new RT was to replace the case reflectors with the BMW emblems.  Did the same earlier with my K1600GT.  Also I removed the yellow forkleg reflectors.  Furthermore I really like the fishtail mufflers on the new R18. 

• Like 1

Ok guys and gals!

all is good and I took delivery of the bike with reflectors today, and with completed sw update. For all who remove the reflectors, I understand you too and the logo looks cool but for delivery I wanted it up to spec.

now I wonder what kind of tank bags these bikes can be fitted with. My old ones from the 1200 RT do of course not fit.

have to look around as there is hardly any space for small stuff in the key or phone compartments. 

taking two weeks to get 600 mile service ........

thanks for all the input it helped. 

h

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, bimmers said:

now I wonder what kind of tank bags these bikes can be fitted with. My old ones from the 1200 RT do of course not fit.

The ones from the 2005 to 2013 R1200 RT don't fit, but the ones from the 2014+ R1200RT do.

When we sold beemers, all new bikes went through PDI.

Then, with the customer we went through the checklist.

Item by item.

Operation of bike.

Cosmetics, including all parts.

Warranty.

Etc.

We signed, they signed.

Sad when people don't do their job.

Weren't the R90 S bikes held up at Butler & Smith over reflectors back in the mid 70's?