IGNORED

I've got the coolest M/C shop set-up developing!!

KMG_365

Okay, I'm getting my wrenching and tire changing bike shop finally dialed in and I am STOKED!!! cool.gif

I just bought a new "Power Lift" by Handy Lift (for $645.00-- their entry level home hobbyist lift is currently on sale at a price point to compete with the cheaper knock offs that are cutting into their market share). It's pretty nice and comes with a free wheel clamp while the sale lasts. If you order from Handy (in Iowa, I think) the shipping on the 300# lift can set you back quite a bit (~$250.00 to California), or you can now order from a local distributor in many areas. I opted to buy from a distributor in Orange, CA: Gearhead's Garage, so I could pick it up myself. I had to pay tax and the sale price ($595.00) is just if you buy direct from Handy (though the wheel clamp is still free while the sale lasts), but picking it up saved me more than paying the $250.00 to ship from Iowa.

The lift is dark gray (instead of light gray) and has a slightly smaller pneumatic cylinder than the industry standard Handy Lifts you see at Beemer Dealers all across the country. It still lifts 1000#, but for as often as it'll be going up and down, it'll probably still last me many years before needing a re-build (new seal, basically). No more crawling around on the ground for us!!! clap.gifgrin.gif

I also have to put in a shameless plug for Mitch's Bitchin' Mojo Stand Tire Changer and Mojo Bar! I don't have a work bench in the garage right now (the contents of the office and the Master Bedroom are still in the garage! tongue.gif ), so I just drilled the back end of the lift and mounted the Mojo Stand there.

69427212-L.jpg

I also bought four threaded eye bolts and threaded knobs to anchor the stand to the end of the lift. Pictured is also the strap that comes with the Mojo Stand which is used to secure one of the webs of the wheel to keep it from turning. Now I can run it through two of the (installed) eye-bolts making it a bit easier to put on and remove. I may see about a different solution for that strap now that I have four easy mounting points. At the top of the pic, you can also see the ramp that attaches to the end of the lift for getting the bike up the 7" onto the lift. Also shown here is a piece of 2'x3'x1/8" sheet rubber I bought at the hardware store to protect the paint from the centerstand.

69427261-L.jpg

This photo shows the parts which come with the Mojo Stand. You can see the mounting end of the Mojo Bar in the upper left corner (AWESOME! smile.gif ). The bead breaker (SWEET!!!!! cool.gif ) with the three pins for different sized wheels. You can also just make out the three holes in the MojoBar for the bead breaker attachment to insert into. Barely visible under the nylon "hook" of the mounting end is another pin that inserts into the hole at the top of the vertical post (which easily removes for compact storage via the keeper clevis pin at the bottom--the split ring is visible below the center post under the cross member). One of the eye bolts is also installed in one of the holes in the lower left corner.

69427346-L.jpg

Here's a shot of the "business end" of the MojoBar--the de-mounting end. This end of the bar is worth the price of the whole kit--the bead breaker is equally so and the mounting end makes it even more of a steal! thumbsup.gif

You can also see another eye bolt installed in the upper right of the Mojo Stand.

69427394-L.jpg

Here's a wider shot of the back of the lift--the 30" table height is perfect and the arms cantilever out enough to allow you to get right up next to the work so you don't have to bend over uncomfortably. You can sort of see the middle pin of the breaker bar inserted in the middle hole on the MojoBar and resting on the arms of the stand. I didn't put all of the eye bolts in for this pic, I just grabbed it off the shelf and set it there temporarily. You might notice that two of the eye bolts are longer, that is to accommodate the U-channel brace which is welded to the underside and runs across the lift right where the two inboard holes are drilled. I just used a 3/8" bit and drilled through the table and the U-channel. The table is only about 1/8" thick and the channel is only ~1" deep so it was pretty easy drilling with a sharp bit , a pilot hole and some cutting oil.

69427462-L.jpg

I changed six tires the other day in less than HALF the time it would've taken me normally--not to mention I missed out on all the cussing an bruised knuckles that were par for the course. I bought a few extra wheels for running off tread commuting to work on my bike and saving the good tire profile for the GOOD rides! thumbsup.gif

I'd really like to thank Mitch for such an outstanding product--so well designed and so well constructed! The powder coating is first-class and the arms of the stand that support the wheels even have a protective plastic covering. I did have to drill out the center hole of the 1150's rear wheels very slightly (they're a wee bit smaller than the 1100's he designed it for originally), but that is a one-time thing and doesn't affect the wheel at all. I would heartily recommend the Mojo set-up even if you don't have the lift. That, combined with Marc Parnes' balancer, a gallon of Ru-Glide (from NAPA) and www.swmototires.com free overnight delivery (and no tax) . . . I'm set for tires. Not to mention the fact that I save a couple of hundred dollars every change! clap.gif

I have no affiliation with any of these companies, though I have known Mitch for a few years now and think he's a hell of a guy, a gifted engineer, and a dedicated Moderator here who has given SO much to this site and its members . . . not to mention he's a snappy dresser! wink.gifgrin.gif

steve.foote

Nice job, Jamie! And kudo's to Mitch for his excellent idea. The combo looks like a great match.

Now, you can put Maynard on the lift, and finally change out those silly floorboards. tongue.gif

grin.gif

Jamie

And all this time I thought you were working on the inside of the house....I guess this explain the lack of pix(of the inside)....

Whip

I used the Mojo lever for the first time last week. it did a skookum job on my new front tire. Also the first time to use my Harbor Freight tire changer, and my Marc Parnes balancer.

This tire changing thing just got a whole lot easier. clap.gif

Now, you can put Maynard on the lift, and finally change out those silly floorboards.

Steve.

And all this time I thought you were working on the inside of the house....I guess this explain the lack of pix (of the inside)....

Whip.

Man, you guys are a tough room! grin.gif

Steve, I wouldn't be throwing any stones if I were you, until you show up for a ride out here in the West! tongue.gif

Whip, I just posted these in response to a request. I'm at work today, but I'll see about updating you all on the remodel project tomorrow night after I spend the day crawling under the house wiring in the radiant floor heat! dopeslap.gif

steve.foote

Steve, I wouldn't be throwing any stones if I were you, until you show up for a ride out here in the West!

Ooooo, Ouch! grin.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

Sweeet! thumbsup.gif

And I concur with your remarks regarding Mitch's tire changer and bar; excellent design as well as execution in manufacture.

But, dog gone it, I've been trying to put thoughts of a lift out of my mind as I've already spent enough dough lately; your example is "leading me into temptation" grin.gifdopeslap.gif

By the way, putting the changer on the lift looks like a great idea thumbsup.gif

. . . your example is "leading me into temptation" grin.gifdopeslap.gif
Did I mention that the current sale includes a free wheel clamp, normally an additional $110.00 upgrade? dopeslap.gif

Ooooops, sorry!! grin.gif

Jerry_75_Guy
[ Did I mention that the current sale includes a free wheel clamp, normally an additional $110.00 upgrade? dopeslap.gif

Ooooops, sorry!! grin.gif

Get Thee behind Me!....

(sigh)...Oh never mind....where's my wallet? tongue.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

• 7 months later...

I am moving in right next door Jamie. Gosh I will save so much money doing my tires changes in San Diego that it will pay for the move in just 10 years! Seriously, I have bikelift and mojo envy as well as covetous lust for your setup. Seriously, when is the first SoCal tech day? ? ? Oh and what is your shipping address so I can have the tires sent and waiting when I get there.

Very cool!

Cheers! grin.gif

Jamie I was wondering do any of these come with wheels on them ?

Would it be stable enough for side to side movement with the bike on it ?

Say Hi to Leslie for me wave.gif

Paul and Perry,

I don't know if Mitch will be making any more Mojo Stands and if he does, what the price will be. I think the bar and the stand was somewhere around $200-250, but it is WELL worth twice that. The bar and stand work most excellently and I even changed a rear tire on a R1200RT rear wheel last weekend at the SoCal Tech Daze that keithb and Brian had tried to change by other means previously and had finally given up after numerous tries.

I'm considering looking into attaching some sort of extension to the rear of the lift and mounting the Mojo Stand to that so that I can do tires while having a bike on the lift. Handy Industries does sell a front extension for Choppers, but it's $125.00 and mounted on the front, I'm not sure how that would work.

It does have two non-pivoting wheels on the front and as "BUSTED" mentioned in the other thread on lifts, raising the lift and then easily picking up the back end would make it MUCH easier to maneuver around the garage.

I looked into the Harbor Freight lift (their tire changer too, and have actually used one--very cheesy) but after getting burned TOO MANY frickin' times there I just decided I'd go with a name brand that has a reputation for quality. I couldn't be happier with the Handy Lift! clap.gif

Hey Todd! The house next door is currently vacant (a two-on-one, actually) and really needs someone to buy it and do a complete tear down and put up something nice. The neighborhood will support it . . . you just have to pry it out of the hands of the crazy guy who is executor of the trust. dopeslap.gif

But . . . at least it's quiet! tongue.gif

I looked into the Harbor Freight .... tire changer..., and have actually used one--very cheesy) but after getting burned TOO MANY frickin' times there I just decided I'd go with a name brand that has a reputation for quality

I just bought it last week. Had I known someone on the board made something, I would have considered getting it here.

I needed to change the tires on my ATV. Let me tell you, those were a PITFA. Next time the new tires come mounted!

I bet the neighbors enjoyed a bunch of us shooting ether in the tire to set the bead (at midnight).

I looked into the Harbor Freight .... tire changer..., and have actually used one--very cheesy) but after getting burned TOO MANY frickin' times there I just decided I'd go with a name brand that has a reputation for quality

I just bought it last week. Had I known someone on the board made something, I would have considered getting it here.

I needed to change the tires on my ATV. Let me tell you, those were a PITFA. Next time the new tires come mounted!

I bet the neighbors enjoyed a bunch of us shooting ether in the tire to set the bead (at midnight).

I have changed well over 50 tires on my HF unit, using the bar that came with it.

Just takes a little practice. I did my GF's ST and my friend's Rockster yesterday in about 2 hours.

01-tire-change-13.jpg

01-tire-change-07.jpg

01-tire-change-04.jpg

Jim cool.gif

PS I would love one of Mitch's bars, but I always miss the boat on it.

I have changed well over 50 tires on my HF unit, using the bar that came with it.

Just takes a little practice. I did my GF's ST and my friend's Rockster yesterday in about 2 hours.

01-tire-change-13.jpg

01-tire-change-07.jpg

01-tire-change-04.jpg

Jim cool.gif

PS I would love one of Mitch's bars, but I always miss the boat on it.

I think the RT's tires will be fine with the Harbor Freight tire changer. The ATV tires were a bitch to break the bead. Once broken, the tires were easily removed / installed.

I helped someone change their RT tires last year using a HF tire changer. Since it worked for them, I bought one for the ATV tires (and knowing I'll be changing the RT tires in April).

Is the Marc Parnes' balancer the only way to go or does someone have other suggestions? The Marc Parnes' balancer is my next planned purchase.

I think the RT's tires will be fine with the Harbor Freight tire changer. The ATV tires were a bitch to break the bead. Once broken, the tires were easily removed / installed.

I helped someone change their RT tires last year using a HF tire changer. Since it worked for them, I bought one for the ATV tires (and knowing I'll be changing the RT tires in April).

Is the Marc Parnes' balancer the only way to go or does someone have other suggestions? The Marc Parnes' balancer is my next planned purchase.

I have some neat inserts that a friend made for my HF unit, it allows me to change even GS tires with ease, and prevents damage. Just 1' square blocks of nylon cupped out and drilled.

0001-HF-Clamp4.jpg

0001-HF-Clamp.jpg

I use the http://www.beemerbalancers.com/ for my balancing. It is cheaper then the MP unit, but more a personal preference than a better unit.

full_2.jpg

Jim cool.gif

I have some neat inserts that a friend made for my HF unit, it allows me to change even GS tires with ease, and prevents damage. Just 1' square blocks of nylon cupped out and drilled.

I use the http://www.beemerbalancers.com/ for my balancing. It is cheaper then the MP unit, but more a personal preference than a better unit.

Which model balancer did you get? They look to be a little more versatile than the MP unit.

Would your buddy have a print he'd be willing to share on those inserts? I work in a machine shop smirk.gif

Archived