IGNORED

US-50 in Colorado.... serious road construction

There is road construction, and then there is Road Construction.  Looks like we have the latter here.  I first read this to begin on Monday April 19, and end in November.  But then I noticed it ends in November 2022.  Weekday travel on this section is basically out the door for two summers.    @Whip

https://www.us50info.com/impacts

us50.png

roadscholar

That area is a narrow steep canyon, they were starting to work on it two years ago when I was last there. It's actually fairly dangerous for a US Hwy.

• Like 1
roadscholar

Actually there is another way to bypass it, a dirt forest road several miles north of Lake City goes from 149 to just east of Cimmaron on 50, has a couple 180’s but easy on a big bike, a 2wd car could do it too if it’s dry. 

• Like 1
roadscholar

One year Dave and I were so anxious to ride we got there in May, what could possibly go wrong?

IMG_0857.JPG

Anything over about 9k was no bueno.

IMG_1055.JPG

All was not lost but we waited till at least June after that.

IMG_0892.JPG

• Like 3
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

That area is a narrow steep canyon, they were starting to work on it two years ago when I was last there. It's actually fairly dangerous for a US Hwy.

This has happened twice in Origone in my history.  Straightening out a perfectly curvy road usually to accommodate truck traffic. 

• Like 1