IGNORED

Knees in the Breeze

Dennis Andress

• 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

I brought the real camera along to the UN. 

Looking east at Gaviota, California; where US 101 turns north and leaves the coast. Santa Barbara is on the other side of that far ridge. Gaviota is not really a town, just an old oil pipeline. 

DSC_1871-X2.jpg

The crew. 

_DSC1882-XL.jpg

California's backroads have gone to shit. Gravel may be their best bet.

_DSC1898-X2.jpg

Ragged Point at about 7:30 in the morning. Keep this foggy picture in mind when you plan your California coast trip.

_DSC1894-X2.jpg 

This is about five miles inland. The coast, and Cambria are in the darker band of clouds on the  left. These hills are green in May and early June.

_DSC1912-X2.png

After the UN I followed @RT Russ to Parkfield and then north to the bay area (Thanks @Thor). This is heading north from Parkfield towards CA 198. 

_DSC1930-X2.png

I almost ran out of gas...

20210730_121040-X2.jpg

And then two days later I'm in Crescent City and it's time to turn for home.

_DSC1971-X2.jpg

Back to the desert again...

_DSC1992-X2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Dennis Andress

It's almost April, time to go riding! Well maybe not for all of us, but by the time the rest of ya'll put your battery tenders back in their boxes the desert will be roasting. After all, people in Las Vegas consider it a good summer if they make it past April 15 without busting  100°. 

Riding to Ramona, California for Ramona Days I wandered through the Mojave National Preserve. The desert can be beautiful...

IMG_0666-X3.jpg

... and it can be weird.

P1000582-X3.jpg

It's easy  to wonder why these things didn't go the way of the dinosaur.  P1000580-X2.jpg

For a few miles the road opened up and the sky was clear. That snowy peak is maybe 50 miles away as the crow flies.

P1000588-X2.jpg

The Hotel is still derelict, and there is still somebody with a dream, but the gas station is pretty nice these days, and busy. 

P1000590-X3.jpg

A couple of hours later I took a break at a 7-11 and parked my bike next to this homeless dude. He had a dog so I knew he was cool. His cardboard sign said he wanted to go North. When I asked he said "Shasta or Kalamath." Said he had to be somewhere in the mid-west, I forget where, by May 19. He talked of riding freight trains and of how he'd traveled, and  lived, in different parts of the country. The thing was, he seemed to have his shit together, like he wasn't messed up from drugs or booze. Like he wasn't homeless, just living. I rode away wondering which of us had made the better life choices.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My brother is a journalist and talked to a couple of "hobos" about the lifestyle, wrote an article about it. An interesting choice in life.

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

Ramona Days was two days of falling in love with California all over again. The weather was cool, the hills green and lush, and traffic was light. It was like the 1990's again!

The Glass Elevator. It climbs around 1500' in three miles, with a view like this at every curve. 

A_P1000609-X3.jpg

There were more people there than this. Our group seemed to shrink and grow as we rode.

P1000597-X3.jpg

Tecate, Baja California

A_P1000593-X3.jpg

Somewhere in the Mojave on the way home.

A_P1000619-X3.jpg

• Like 8
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Man, I’m really glad to see you reining in the travels a little bit in retirement, Dennis. ;) :grin: :wave:

Just sitting a pattern for you young pups to follow. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

Day ride to Bryce Canyon. I left home late and wound up rushing through the park. 

Rent-A-Harleys. Don't they look just like three KitchenAid mixers sitting on a shelve at Walmart? 

ADSC2690-X4.jpg

These were ridden by three friends from Israel. Livin' the dream.
ADSC2696-X4.jpg

It was cloudy and windy in the park making it all the easier to rush through. The light was good though.

ADSC2699-X4.png

ADSC2711-X3.png

• Like 10
  • 2 months later...
Dennis Andress

I bought this in 1986. It could be my last purchase from the base BX. 
0A78E4BE-1148-4FE2-9939-C93BD3303A89.thumb.jpeg.38834afb474c7bf2dcfbfc69a6d00e6b.jpeg

It’s been awhile. 
5C8E73C5-C9DB-4A08-8F35-359BE876CF15.thumb.jpeg.5c9c92bfc5820c0fd14fff1a17c9240d.jpeg

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

So....  When I was loading up to leave Torrey last month I didn't latch my top case correctly. I didn't notice it was missing until the first gas stop 175 miles away. It was found about a mile from the Chuckwagon.

9DD0A8F4-16D5-439A-9E8E-ECA31305541B.jpe

It cleaned up nicely, though it's probably not a long term repair.

image.thumb.jpeg.76d80ae5ddc7a6af913ef525cb3400e2.jpeg

I need to tie a piece of chalk to it somehow...
image.thumb.jpeg.6ddbd605766dabb72832a605a01033ac.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

So....  When I was loading up to leave Torrey last month I didn't latch my top case correctly. I didn't notice it was missing until the first gas stop 175 miles away. It was found about a mile from the Chuckwagon.

It cleaned up nicely, though it's probably not a long term repair.

I need to tie a piece of chalk to it somehow...

Well ......

.... It must have looked spectacular when it went bouncing down the road, for anyone following you.  🙃😁🤣

Sorry about your troubles.  I suspect that this kind of thing happens more often than we know, but it's just that most people don't brag about it, when it happens.  😏

Good repair job.  If ya can just find a replacement BMW emblem, and it'll almost be "OEM" looking.   Just bring a scraper and measuring tape with you when you're walking by a parked BMW, and ...well, ya know, instant replacement. 😂

Maybe run a lacquer top coat, or something like that so that it doesn't pick up marks.  (Or, since it is a chalkboard paint, just right on the back "If you can read this, you're following too close!")  😎

Dennis Andress

The one on the left is as old as the tent. It’s black because I used to burn gas out of my airhead in it. I haven’t fired up the new one yet. 77409068-CD7F-479C-89CE-DEA5131A0DF3.thumb.jpeg.f9a90e60dd2381ab1105d05cf2528e18.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

The one on the left is as old as the tent. It’s black because I used to burn gas out of my airhead in it. I haven’t fired up the new one yet. 77409068-CD7F-479C-89CE-DEA5131A0DF3.thumb.jpeg.f9a90e60dd2381ab1105d05cf2528e18.jpeg

Lol, I think I still have one of those "new ones" you just bought, since I last went backpacking back in the 1970's.  They've been around forever.  Nice little stove, uses white gas (kept in a small metal bottle).  Might have given mine to my son when I was dumping everything and anything, moving from CA to ID in 2015, after having a chock full house for 25 years.  I "lost" a lot of stuff I've been looking for ever since, lol.

Dennis Andress

Enough bullshit, it's time to ride!

Grieving the death of a spouse is a miserable thing. I will always cry when I talk about Laney, at least I intend to, and I'll never again be the same person. I've grown over the last two years, and I think I've got my stuff together enough to restart my life. Slowly. I have a few ideas, dreams of how I want to live, but no real plan beyond selling my house this Fall. Utah is good. Any place that names a county jail the Purgatory Correction Facility has its heart in the right place. But I can't remain here. I need to close this chapter and find a fresh start somewhere else. And that is why I will be asking lots of questions at the UN. 

And, yes, I will come back to visit. Maybe someday I'll enjoy myself at Torrey again.

rs%20leeds-X4.png

• Like 4

Dennis:  I read through your thread about Laney's passing.  Takes my breath away. You can't stop grieving for her quite yet, 'cause there are so many on this forum, who will never stop grieving her passing, never stop missing her.😳😞   (I say that as if I knew you and her personally, and I didn't and don't, but I've read her posts and others.  I have "known" others on this forum, in the online sense, since about 2005.  I hope you don't think I presume too much.)  She left this world way too soon.

But yeah, getting on with life, from reading her posts, you know Laney would have not only encouraged, but probably demanded it.  (Well, I know MY wife would if I lost her, anyhow.)   We can't go backwards to reclaim our past life, and the lives lost, but we can go forward creating new lives, living new ones, and meeting new friends.  It's worth the ride, maybe not every day, but most days.   You'll never leave her behind, i.e. she'll always hold a special place in your heart.

God bless, and hang in there, just another day, then one more, then plan the next one, and off ya go, you're knees-in-the-breeze before ya know it.   

👍🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
Dennis Andress

My house is for sale! That's a good reason to go to Bryce Canyon. It's been a wet summer, temps in the 90's instead of over 100, clouds, and humidity, and heavy afternoon rains. East of the mountains has seen rain everyday in August. Which has left a mark:

Never enter a blind curve any faster than you want to hit something.

_DSC5373-X4.jpg

It seemed odd to stop here and take a picture of just my bike.

red%20cliffs%20tunnel%20-%20alone-X4.jpg

Today was the first time I spotted the road to Fairyland Point. It's just before the park entrance. You can get here without entering the park.

_DSC5424-X4.png

image.thumb.png.638012b59b70f66b444db35fc862055c.png

Bryce Point.

_DSC5386-X4.jpg

Elsewhere in Bryce...

_DSC5390-X3.jpg

_DSC5399-X4.jpg

Monsoon season seems to be dying off. The clouds and humidity are gone and we're back to scorching hot. I left the house around 7:00 am while it was still cool, and got back around 3:00 pm - to 110° 

• Like 10
Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Dennis, where are you gonna call home next when u sell your house?

I don't know. My attention has been focused on getting this house ready to sell. Where just has to wait until I'm out of here. Rural enough that I don't see my neighbors front door, yet close enough in that Home Depot is not a monthly expense. Having the house on the market is a milestone for me. I'm planning a road trip (by car) to get away and think about how to proceed from here.

Laney and I never unpacked at this house before doctors and hospice became the immediate need. I began unpacking after her passing; I'd work for a day and spend the next week or two riding... After everything was unpacked I started downsizing. I've been sorting and discarding for over a year now. Lots of riding too... The UN at Canaan Valley was the first time I've been free of depression and able to function socially in several years. That feeling followed me back and I was able to buckle down and finish downsizing - without running away on a motorcycle.

There is some merit to the old adage about not seeing a motorcycle in front of a psychiatrist's office. I got some help for the first few months, but riding is how I learned to be comfortable in my own skin. It can be very expensive though; In two years I put about 12,000 miles on the S1000 XR before I sold it. In 18 months I've put 18,000 on the K1300 S. And the R1250 RS now has 16,000 miles in nine months.

image.thumb.jpeg.f87d3e94de4f1ed03e1d4c66e6ed1186.jpeg

• Like 9

I know all about the downsizing stress, and getting a house ready for market, but I haven't done those solo before.   You have my heartfelt sympathy on your battle, and I'm happy that you're looking at the downhill side of that mountain now.

One thing for sure:  There's a big beautiful "rest of your life" out there, just waiting on you to go discover it all.   God's blessings, on your future journeys. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Dennis Andress

Tucson, and the Sonoran Desert, enticed me out of the Air Force in 1986. I lived here until 1989 when I figured out there was more money to be had in Southern California. My house in St. George sold in late September. I put most of my stuff in storage and bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer to haul bikes and what else I need. I'm in Tucson, staying in a short-term rental for a couple of months. Time to clear my head, get some help with depression, and ride...

Saguaro and green rolling hills. A post card of Tucson.

colossal_cave-X3.jpg

A world away, yet only 40 miles south, is the Empire Ranch. I couldn't find a reference, but I remember a story that around the end of the 19th century most of the country's beef came from the area around the Empire Ranch. The story went that the land was overgrazed and the grasses destroyed.

empire_ranch-X5.jpg

Closer to Nogales and a bit to the west.

juan_trail-X4.jpg

One of the border crossings in Nogales. The buildings on the left are for commercial truck traffic.

nogales-X5.jpg

• Like 10

Riding is great... :thumbsup:  but depression is serious and it needs to be addressed.  You can not ride away from the condition.  I like your photographs !

• Plus 1 2
Dennis Andress
9 hours ago, LBump said:

You can not ride away from the condition. 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:21 AM, Dennis Andress said:

I put about 12,000 miles on the S1000 XR before I sold it. In 18 months I've put 18,000 on the K1300 S. And the R1250 RS now has 16,000 miles in nine months.

I know

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

Most of rural America can be summed up as "Once upon a time". That is certainly true of Globe, Arizona, a silver and copper mining town famous for murders, stagecoach robberies and outlaws. Geronimo and the Apache Kid were well known hereabouts, the Apache Kid was tried and convicted here, the prisoners overcame and murdered the sheriff and a deputy while enroute to the prison in Yuma, Arizona.

globe_DSC5776-X5.jpg

It seems to have mellowed.

globe_DSC5782-X5.jpg

When i lived in Tucson in the late `80's the ride to Globe was a common day ride. Early K100's, with their unbelievable 90 hp, were eating airheads for lunch. I came over to the dark side shortly after floating a valve and dropping the valve seat on my airhead.  

globe_DSC5787-X5.jpg

The Sonoran Desert is harsh. I had to deal with a thicket of tiny little cactus spines today that had worked their way through my riding gear. The little bitches had points on both ends!  Sometimes that harshness is quite beautiful.

globe_hdr-01-X5.jpg

The RS got new tires, fork oil and firmware this week. I like the new PR6 tires, but the firmware is the most notable change, most likely the bike hadn't been hooked up to a BMW diagnostic since its 600 mile service.

globe_DSC5856-X5.jpg

I've been seeing a grief counselor. He identified what I thought was depression as grief. Between that and being away from St. George I'm doing much better.

• Like 17
3 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm doing much better.

I can only speak for myself, but I've come to know that for some situations sadness is painful, real and appropriate.  It is also the result of true caring.

Glad to see that you're enjoying a beautiful part of the country.  I'm in Alaska, where it's dark, cold and icy.  But I'm planning to get down into that area in the near future.

Over 30 years ago I lived in Albuquerque, and used to drive through Globe AZ.  My son, about 5 years old at the time, was with me on a trip where we stayed in a motel in Globe.  He came up with an appropriate term for the place: fleabag motel.  I don't remember much about it, except for some of the fleabag-ness.  But we occasionally remember the interesting night there.

• Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, lawnchairboy said:

Come see us.

I was on a Honda 500/4 the last time I went over that bridge... Is it okay if I bring the cage?

On 11/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Most of rural America can be summed up as "Once upon a time". That is certainly true of Globe, Arizona, a silver and copper mining town famous for murders, stagecoach robberies and outlaws. Geronimo and the Apache Kid were well known hereabouts, the Apache Kid was tried and convicted here, the prisoners overcame and murdered the sheriff and a deputy while enroute to the prison in Yuma, Arizona.

globe_DSC5776-X5.jpg

It seems to have mellowed.

globe_DSC5782-X5.jpg

When i lived in Tucson in the late `80's the ride to Globe was a common day ride. Early K100's, with their unbelievable 90 hp, were eating airheads for lunch. I came over to the dark side shortly after floating a valve and dropping the valve seat on my airhead.  

globe_DSC5787-X5.jpg

The Sonoran Desert is harsh. I had to deal with a thicket of tiny little cactus spines today that had worked their way through my riding gear. The little bitches had points on both ends!  Sometimes that harshness is quite beautiful.

globe_hdr-01-X5.jpg

The RS got new tires, fork oil and firmware this week. I like the new PR6 tires, but the firmware is the most notable change, most likely the bike hadn't been hooked up to a BMW diagnostic since its 600 mile service.

globe_DSC5856-X5.jpg

I've been seeing a grief counselor. He identified what I thought was depression as grief. Between that and being away from St. George I'm doing much better.

that bike is beautiful

• 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

Extension of US 666 to Douglas, Arizona by following the rugged Coronado Trail was approved in 1942. It follows the eastern seam of Arizona, from the Petrified Forest south to Mexico. In little more than 100 miles the surrounding altitude varies from 2900 feet to over 11,000. There are around 400 twisty curves in one 60 miles stretch. I’ve heard it described as 120 miles of foot peg to foot peg curves. Even in those younger, carefree days we all agreed that it was not to be ridden alone.

This was my first ride on 666, The road is in terrible shape, the only evidence of any maintenance being the 25 mph speed limit signs. The road surface has deteriorated to the consistency of marbles on glass. I put the RS in rainbow (rain mode for the uninitiated) and putted slowly along, like a fat TW 200.

666_DSC5894-X4.jpg

I didn’t get far, but I did pack a lunch. It was 52 degrees and sunny at 7300 feet. Somehow this National Forest Service picnic area is in better shape than the road.

table_DSC5883-X4.jpg

The view reminded me of my goal to live somewhere green and forested.

trees_DSC5887-X4.jpg

I measured 10 miles of highway within the Morenci copper mine. Because of this, US 666 was at the center of the 3-year miner’s strike in the early 80’s. Strikers marched along the road, and negotiators mediated disputes on its pavement. It can be said that the era of American labor ended along this desolate highway.

tunnels_DSC5907-X4.jpg

Within Arizona, US 666 was renamed to 191 in the early 90’s. The history I've attempted to describe is connected to its old name though. Read here if you want to know more.

mine_DSC5872-X4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

My long-time buddy, Eric just retired from the Arizona DPS where he worked on cop bikes. He is/was a BMW tech at the local shop - back when air was enough to cool an engine. Motorcycle burnout hit him hard; he's been riding scooters for years. His claims of the K13S being too fast were soothed when I said to think of it as a K100 RS with 30 years of improvement. Sunday we rode to Ajo  (@TEWKS AH-h-oh). It's 120 miles of mostly straight, kind of rough, desert road. The kind of road where a K bike is a lot of fun. 

I don't know much about Ajo. I saw some mine tailings but the town was really clean and I doubt there's any mining going on. Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is nearby. It used to be stupendously beautiful in the spring, but on my last trip through I had men with the US flag on their jackets pointing guns at me.

That flat peak with the white things is the Kitt Peak Observatory. The road up is very twisty. It used be a great place to pack a lunch and ride too early on a summer's morning but, the University of Arizona, which owns the observatory, had the state road closed - for everyone's good...

kitt_peak_DSC5952-X4.jpg

I've been into taking pictures of murals lately. :5273:

ajo_copper_news_DSC5943-X4.jpg

Do you see "Ajo Street Art Project"?

ajo_DSC5936-X4.jpg

<soapbox>

Sells, Arizona. Capital of the Tohono O'odham Nation. Indian land. I saw this in the corner of my eye as we blew into town a little over the limit. It set off a little bell in my head. I'd seen something similar, don't remember where, but it was also on Indian land. So I made it a point to stop for the picture on the way back to Tucson.

Sometimes I feel we are a third world country with a few great cities to hide the dirty truth behind.

MMIW 

Native Hope 

Sturgis 

</soapbox>

stolen_sisters_DSC5946-X4.jpg

• Like 8
On 12/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, Dennis Andress said:

The view reminded me of my goal to live somewhere green and forested.

You hit upon one main reason I moved from "out west" to "out east"....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

It's been 40 years or so since I met Eric. He's wandered down a couple of strange roads...

273D5824-0B44-4B24-B709-4279C7913625_1_1

Those who have followed me around Utah will say that I don't ride on dirt. It's true, I hate beating on my bikes like that, and getting my gear dirty. But who can say no to a borrowed TW-200?

tw-200s-X4.jpg

The trail sucked. There was far worse than this. I gained great appreciation for 1st gear on the TW.

1B58FADE-157B-4996-86C5-AC9782D460BC_1_1

That moment when your guide exclaims: Now I know where we are!

ED0E32DC-0818-4012-89AA-47BB8B0CE8C6_1_1

The windmill was spinning and the cistern had water!

windmill-2-X5.jpg

Our destination was the Total Wreck Mine. (Note the symbolic automobile shell.)

total_wreck-X4.jpg

There's the mine. 

6182F3CB-2A5C-41F7-B446-7866A3CF196C_1_1

Eric dabbles in prospecting. We poked around the mine tailings and found a lot of quartz, which has a connection to the presence of gold. Eric plans to come back and try his luck.

47A703D0-59F4-4FE8-B03A-3FB596A41F70_1_1

That's all! I only dropped the TW once, and didn't get a picture. I might do more off road riding, but I might buy a Harley too. 

harley-X3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Smile 2
On 12/2/2022 at 8:49 AM, Dennis Andress said:

This was my first ride on 666, The road is in terrible shape, the only evidence of any maintenance being the 25 mph speed limit signs. The road surface has deteriorated to the consistency of marbles on glass. I put the RS in rainbow (rain mode for the uninitiated) and putted slowly along, like a fat TW 200.

666_DSC5894-X4.jpg

table_DSC5883-X4.jpg

trees_DSC5887-X4.jpg

tunnels_DSC5907-X4.jpg

mine_DSC5872-X4.jpg

That’s a shame about the road condition. I took a side trip on 191 on the way to Torrey one year and it was fine. I was headed n on it and misjudged the time a bit, so it started to get dark. I had never seen sooo many eyeballs peeping out at me. Oy. 

Dennis Andress
On 12/27/2022 at 11:43 AM, longjohn said:

That’s a shame about the road condition. I took a side trip on 191 on the way to Torrey one year and it was fine. I was headed n on it and misjudged the time a bit, so it started to get dark. I had never seen sooo many eyeballs peeping out at me. Oy. 

The road was improving when I turned around. Honestly though, US 180 in western New Mexico is the better ride.

Hmmmm....  I wonder how I could fit that in after Fall Torrey...

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Dennis Andress

The Pecos River. You can’t see it from here but just below the horizon the Pecos flows into the River Grande. I’ve camped on that ridge to the left. 

36C6A667-C936-46B9-ABF4-5E08BA98849A.thumb.jpeg.34fc194faa9092d5d1e37a74a862fc66.jpeg 

I’ve got a day to kill before I can arrive at my destination. Time to make a quality decision….

BC617730-30BD-4CBD-9EFF-FEF2298F766C.thumb.jpeg.493625a1251ecfea11e4d26b5510c8a9.jpeg

Dennis Andress

I think this ride starts about 100 miles west of Austin. It seems like I’m on the edge of the Hill Country. 

My family moved to Austin in 1968. My memories are of Boy Scout camping trips to places like this. 
DE5876F6-85E1-4E5C-B03D-592FD968BD7E.thumb.jpeg.e42bbe00f0c47326f33c63ea7dbc4147.jpeg

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Texas has its own Colorado River 🤷‍♂️ The are (were) seven dams and lakes to the west of Austin. I don’t know which one this is. 

I guess I’m not in the desert anymore…

7BBAF860-A2CF-41A4-ADAF-E88BF5D053BE.thumb.jpeg.6cbfaa1955988d9a1b458237c13f88a3.jpeg

• Like 4
Dennis Andress

As usual, I didn’t go as far as I wanted yet I saw enough to be content. I’m leaning towards leaving the trailer at a nephew’s and coming back to get it when I have a place to unload. So, this thread will go dormant. 

E1CA5D57-ABFF-44BE-B711-D2EA44557D36.thumb.jpeg.bae139e8aeabe7ddb2425238d07eb4e1.jpeg

• Like 2