IGNORED

Testing Scorpion's new 3.1 Lb. Carbon Fiber EXO-ST1400 Caffeine Helmet

moshe_levy

Hey Moshe...thanks....good video.  Can you comment a little more on how much air flow you get with the vents open....it's a little hot in Texas and airflow is as important as fit.  My Shoei Neotec (ready to retire) flows a boat load of air, but whistles.

Hi David-

As it turns out, my own personal helmet is a Neotec 2. I was testing over the fall / winter / spring in mostly cold temps, so my vents were usually closed, but when open I'd say the Shoei probably flows a bit more. The Shoei has more padding all around, so perhaps it is a function of better channeling. If I had to put a number on it, the Neotec 2 flows an 8, and the Scorpion a 6.5-7. It's not much of a difference, but it's there....

That said, the forte of this thing (for its class) is weight - 3.1 pounds on my size L - it's really a big difference from the Shoei! But I don't live in TX - I can imagine ventilation takes top priority!

-MKL

As always, a great review and advice from a master.  Thanks Moshe - just one question, how was the wind/road noise? My Arai is very comfortable but lacks some key features but is quiet (for the most part). I do wear ear plugs while riding, but wind noise can become an issue even with plugs.

Thank you Sir.

I, too, wear ear plugs on long / highway rides. I find this Scorpion about average for noise in this class, meaning louder than the premium super-cushy interiors of the Arais and Shoeis in the premium class. There is more open space in the padding, which is good for ventilation but allows more ambient noise in. I didn't measure it with a decibel meter, so this is just a subjective observation. It's nothing offensive or poor, but it's not Arai/Shoei level quiet.

-MKL

This helmet due to your review, has my interest. I’ve been looking for a carbon helmet for a while. Pre-COVID I tried on the AGV $800 lid. After a few minutes the insides felt cheap and scratchy to me. It also felt like some of the weight reduction was because the shell seemed smaller. It felt like more of my noggin was exposed in the rear

I think I’ll work with Revzilla or Cycle Gear on this in case I don’t care for it. The only thing I don’t really like about my shoei is weight...and it’s time. The helmet is getting loose

5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I do not know if it's an option in your area, but I'm a strong advocate of buying locally whenever possible. As you know it takes about 20-30 minutes minimum wearing a new helmet just to make sure there are no hot spots. If you can try one on in person, it avoids the back and forth of shipping when buying online. But some people don't live near shops, and with COVID they may now allow in person fitment anyway. All depending on where you live, I guess.... It is a very nice helmet for the money.

-MKL

On 4/5/2021 at 7:53 AM, moshe_levy said:

I do not know if it's an option in your area, but I'm a strong advocate of buying locally whenever possible. As you know it takes about 20-30 minutes minimum wearing a new helmet just to make sure there are no hot spots. If you can try one on in person, it avoids the back and forth of shipping when buying online. But some people don't live near shops, and with COVID they may now allow in person fitment anyway. All depending on where you live, I guess.... It is a very nice helmet for the money.

-MKL

I love visiting local shops when I can, but a lot of times, their inventory is very limited.  When I do find a helmet, I'll wear it around the shop, looking at other things.  I'm sure I look like an idiot, but so be it.  If the store doesn't have the color or graphics I'm looking for, I will order the helmet online and when It arrives, I put it on, lift the visor and put a movie on, on Netflix and wait for any hotspots to materialize.  If they don't , I have a new helmet.  

Great review, by the way; as are all of them.  Thanks.  

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, Groanup said:

Good review Moshe.

I'd love to have one, but I don't want a black helmet...

Just to be clear (it's hard to see in the video) - it's carbon fiber, not black technically. But your point is well taken. I avoid dark helmets also.

• Like 1