IGNORED

Leaking valve covers

Peter K

Prior to shipping my bike to the west coast for a PCH ride this week, I had a "new" mechanic here in SE Florida do some maintenance on my 2014 R1200RT (32k mi now).  My local dealer is no longer, so I took someone's recommendation to go to this private shop.  All seemed to go fine, until yesterday, when I delivered my bike to the trucking terminal. While waiting for them to get some forms to fill out, I noticed some very faint oil stains on the front of each of the side trunks (on the flat black part). At first I thought perhaps I had run over something on the road, but after a closer look, I realized that the bottom of both valve covers was slightly damp with oil. It is a very small amount, and did not leave even one drop on my garage floor when it sat there the previous two days. However, I am thinking it could be blowing out to some degree while going down the highway.  I know this is a double-bad on me...using a new guy AND not leaving enough days before a "shipping day" to make sure all is OK.  I called him and he told me he torqued the star bolts to specs and thought perhaps it was left-over dripped oil.  I am not so sure.  

My issue now is what to do when I pick up the bike on the other end, considering there is a 6 day trip down the coast planned, from San Fransisco to San Diego. Both, my knowledge and tool selection are quite limited, though I suppose I could pack the right size star bit (T-50 ???) in my bag and do a non scientific tightening of all the bolts when they roll it off the truck in San Fran.  There is a dealer (San Jose BMW) about 20 mins from my pick up point, where I could set an appointment ahead of time and hopefully have it done quickly. Or I could just wait until the end of the trip (750 mi +/-), and have it done in San Diego, where the bike will stay for a while. I guess my question for those with some experience is, how bad can this be...or perhaps, how bad could it get, considering it's not dripping while stationary?  I am not a worrier, but this bike has never even had a hick-up before, so this of course, got my attention. 

Non-scientific tightening of the valve cover bolts may result is continued leaking or (worse) stripped threads. Can you borrow a low range torque wrench from a buddy and throw it in the side case? Perhaps a kindly local SF rider will volunteer to help out. Or try the BMW Anonymous book...you are a BMWOA member, right:5146:Better yet, just buy the tool yourself. 

In any case, be sure both the gasket and mating surfaces are completely clean and be prepared to catch a few ounces of oil and the replace same. A quart should be more than enough to replace whatever is lost.

This is just a guess... but I would guess that the "new" mechanic did not properly seat the rubber interior pieces that, along with the perimeter gaskets, achieve a good seal.  So, I would buy 2 of each, and take with.  Harbor Freight sells cheap torque wrenches -- I think I paid about $12 for one this summer.  Also, you will need a small screwdriver to unclip the lead to the ignition coils.  Finally, don't forget to bring the coil puller tool.

You can watch this Boxflyer video to walk you through the process of removing and installing the valve covers.

• Like 1

This is what I was worried about ("...the rubber interior pieces...").  I knew there was more to it than the outer gasket. I just wonder if I should let it go until the end of the ride and then have a pro do it in SD. 

4 hours ago, Peter K said:

Prior to shipping my bike to the west coast for a PCH ride this week, I had a "new" mechanic here in SE Florida do some maintenance on my 2014 R1200RT (32k mi now).  My local dealer is no longer, so I took someone's recommendation to go to this private shop.  All seemed to go fine, until yesterday, when I delivered my bike to the trucking terminal. While waiting for them to get some forms to fill out, I noticed some very faint oil stains on the front of each of the side trunks (on the flat black part). At first I thought perhaps I had run over something on the road, but after a closer look, I realized that the bottom of both valve covers was slightly damp with oil. It is a very small amount, and did not leave even one drop on my garage floor when it sat there the previous two days. However, I am thinking it could be blowing out to some degree while going down the highway.  I know this is a double-bad on me...using a new guy AND not leaving enough days before a "shipping day" to make sure all is OK.  I called him and he told me he torqued the star bolts to specs and thought perhaps it was left-over dripped oil.  I am not so sure.  

My issue now is what to do when I pick up the bike on the other end, considering there is a 6 day trip down the coast planned, from San Fransisco to San Diego. Both, my knowledge and tool selection are quite limited, though I suppose I could pack the right size star bit (T-50 ???) in my bag and do a non scientific tightening of all the bolts when they roll it off the truck in San Fran.  There is a dealer (San Jose BMW) about 20 mins from my pick up point, where I could set an appointment ahead of time and hopefully have it done quickly. Or I could just wait until the end of the trip (750 mi +/-), and have it done in San Diego, where the bike will stay for a while. I guess my question for those with some experience is, how bad can this be...or perhaps, how bad could it get, considering it's not dripping while stationary?  I am not a worrier, but this bike has never even had a hick-up before, so this of course, got my attention. 

Evening Pete K

First thing that I would recommend is to verify that it is actually leaking. 

Wipe the oil off the bottoms of the valve covers then ride it a little ways. It is very possible that you don't have a leak but the tec that worked on the motorcycle had the valve covers removed then re-installed them without cleaning up the lower edges. 

When valve covers are remove a little oil remains in them, if it isn't completely cleaned out then a little oil can run out the bottom as the covers as they are being re-installed. 

If only one side was leaking then I would suspect that the tec did something wrong but the chances are low that he screwed up both sides equally to only have a very slight oil seep.  

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

I wouldn’t wait... but I carry all the required tools with me and can remove and reset the valve covers in less than 10 minutes per side.  If you aren’t accustomed to doing your own work, I like your idea of making an appointment with the San Jose dealer.  If you are blowing oil out the seal around the spark plug hole, you will make a huge mess by the time you get to San Diego, and you will be miserable.  And if you don’t investigate before you launch from they Bay Area, you will be thinking about it all the way south,  detracting from your enjoyment.  Either way, the best plan is to track down the source of the excess oil, in my opinion.

Cap

• Like 2

If the oil is not leaving spots on the ground after two days, I don't think it's enough to be concerned about.

Those bolts are easily stripped.  If the covers are still leaking after you follow dirtrider's instructions, you do not want to simply tighten them. Loosen one a turn or two and then re-tighten carefully. It will turn easily and then when you feel the resistance quickly go up, STOP.   Once the stop collar at the tip hits the head, you cannot compress the gasket any more. The torque spec for the cover bolts is very low and easily exceeded. (10 Nm, 7.4 ftlb, 88 inlb)

image.png.1a0f00de399f2af489ba53e938241659.png

That’s a good point DR, and it crossed my mind...how could both sides be screwed up equally?

I’ll do a bit of a ride in the area around Milpitas (where the trucking terminal is) and that will hopefully give me a clue, before I leave the general area where help would be available. 

1 hour ago, Peter K said:

That’s a good point DR, and it crossed my mind...how could both sides be screwed up equally?

You said it wasn't dripping while parked for a few days.  And then after a short ride, you had oil on your side cases.  When I try to resolve those facts into a story, I think that the oil must be leaking only when the engine is running.  How could both cylinders be goofed?  Well, if the mechanic made the same error with respect to installing the seal around the sparkplug cavity.  It can be installed backwards, or simply left out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Peter K said:

I’ll do a bit of a ride in the area around Milpitas (where the trucking terminal is) and that will hopefully give me a clue, before I leave the general area where help would be available. 

Morning  Peter K

Yes, clean it best you can then ride it around  a little, you need verify that it IS or isn't actually leaking & if so where it is leaking from, before your trip. 

Or, if there is a BMW dealer close at your arrival shipping point then clean it off & ride to the dealer. If it is still leaking then have them address it (most BMW dealers will help out travelers by getting them into the repair facility quickly).  

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Or, if there is a BMW dealer close at your arrival shipping point then clean it off & ride to the dealer. If it is still leaking then have them address it (most BMW dealers will help out travelers by getting them into the repair facility quickly).  

FWIW..... San Jose BMW has a very good reputation......

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope you got it resolved. It happened to me on a 2006 RT many years ago. I rode home and had oil on boots. Rode back and YES they did not seat the plug seal properly, easy fix but with the guards around the heads etc it was more than just the heads off and back again.

I have since done the valves myself and noted this particular issue while reassembling.

The dealer now in Hobe Sound is not that far away but they seem very back logged and under staffed. 

Watching them closely as I was expecting to get a new 1250RT today and it is not ready.........

Safe rides on the wrong  coast.

H

Thanks H! The trip starts in less than 48 hrs and I won't know much until I pick it up at the trucking terminal.  I wondered about the dealer in H.S...I am not sure how experienced their mechanics are but hoping they stick (unlike Broward Motorsports).

Pete