IGNORED

Aux Lights

Kevin McKenna

Kevin McKenna

I was thinging of grabbing power from the Aux sockets. Do they route back into the Fuse Box? or shoulf I splice the line?

Stan Walker

I was thinging of grabbing power from the Aux sockets

While it will likely work, it's not a great idea. The draw on a set of Aux lights when turned on will leave very little power available for things like an electric vest or two being ran off the same circuit. Plus the wiring isn't very heavy and voltage drops on the wiring will affect the amount of light produced, maybe even shorten the bulb life.

You would be ever so much better off running the power directly from the battery, using heavy gauge wiring and a relay for control.

my 2 cents worth.

Stan

I agree with everything Stan says, except it reducing the bulb life. A lower voltage may actually extend the bulb life. But, do as Stan says and hook it up right!

Stan Walker

I agree with everything Stan says, except it reducing the bulb life

Ahhh grasshopper, listen and learn. grin.gif

Modern Halogen bulbs are designed to run at an elevated temperature in order to redeposit boiled off filament material back onto the filament. Running at low voltages lowers the operating temperature, defeating this process, and this material ends up on the inside of the glass envelope. The end effect is one of shortening the bulb life as well as blocking some percentage of the already dimmer, because of the lower temperature, output.

Stan

Always happy to educate wave.gif

For even better info.... see Halogen Link

Ah, once again, this grasshopper is humbled by the depth of knowledge available here. I could cop out and say I was thinking of a “normal” (old fashioned) filament type bulb, but I will not. Even after 30 years dealing with electrical engineering, I have learned that there is a heck of a lot I don’t know. bncry.gif Thanks for imparting your wisdom.

Kevin – What Stan sez!

thumbsup.gif

Another consideration............

The acc socket is always hot, not a good choice for lights. Lights should be switched with the ignition, otherwise you WILL forget to turn them off some day.

Most people run the power directly from the battery (with a fuse), with a relay switched by either the high beam indicator light (if you want your lights to come on with the high beam) or the parking light (the little light in the bottom of the headlight, which is on whenever the ignition is on).

Archived