IGNORED

Windscreen Resting Position

TexasMule

While cleaning my RT after my recent Ozark trip I found cleaning the windscreen a bit of a PITA.  The only way I could

keep it raised was to push the key start and clean underneath.  While it's a cute trick that BMW copied from Yamaha it's

still a PITA when you want the windscreen to stay up.  Never had this problem with my Oilhead RT, (and never knew I needed

a resting windscreen).  I don't see the point since when it rests you can still pull the GPS out of it's holder.

I thought maybe someone (Boxflyer to the white courtesy phone....) has some trick to keep the windscreen up when the bike is

off.

If not, oh well, first world problem....:18:

If I ever bother to clean the lower 1/4 of the windscreen, I do just what you are doing…just power up the electrics on the bike, raise the screen, and get after it…

Usually I don't clean under there until I feel like just removing the screen completely with the 6 screws and do it up right.

Sorry I don't have anything intelligent to offer!

I seem to recall that you can get the windscreen to stay up if you change the way you kill the engine.  I resist the call to RTFM.  :-)

Cap

I'm with you on wanting to clean the screen properly, and finding it irritating to have to have the ignition on so the screen stays put.

However, to actually get the inside of the screen properly clean the only way is to remove it completely, as even with the screen in the raised position you're still struggling to get a cloth down the bottom and between screen and bodywork... Blame my OCD!

On a lighter note, I've at last found a bonus for being old - I've had both my Covid jabs...

• Like 1

While I thought it to be a superfluous feature as well it doesn't bother me too much.  I leave cleaning that part as he last step and if you toggle the kill switch to off before powering up, the power will stay on for quite a while before auto shut down which allows me to play tunes while toweling the bike off.  The tunes might not last through a waxing though.

Not at my bikes right now to try this but can you kill with kill switch (not key) and it stay up?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 6:56 AM, Rinkydink said:

Not at my bikes right now to try this but can you kill with kill switch (not key) and it stay up?

Simple question, simple answer - NO.