IGNORED

How to replace headlight bulb 2009 1200RT

eisenwal

I have replaced the left low beam headlight bulb once. I have unsuccessfully tried two times to replace the right low beam headlight bulb. In the first try I had to go to my mechanic to get it done. This time after a half hour battle, I finally lost the bulb inside the bike and can't find it. This could mean taking the bike apart to get the lost bulb.

What really bugs me is that it seems unnecessarily difficult to do this task. There is little room to moved about, one can't see and has to go by feel. There is no way changing a bulb should be this difficult. Do I have to go to my dealer every time the bulb burns out? I find this unacceptable!

I have been in possession of this bike for one year and have had to replace three low beam  bulbs. Is this normal?

Sorry. , I'm really unhappy about this. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Yep.. a bit of PITA esp. if you have large hands.

Their are videos on the replacement process however, it's not like the real thing.

Bulb replacement #1  Bulb replacement #2

You might consider installing Cyclops if you're annoyed  with the replacement frequency. 

You'll also get a brighter light.

Good luck with the project

36 minutes ago, Eisenwal said:

I have replaced the left low beam headlight bulb once. I have unsuccessfully tried two times to replace the right low beam headlight bulb. In the first try I had to go to my mechanic to get it done. This time after a half hour battle, I finally lost the bulb inside the bike and can't find it. This could mean taking the bike apart to get the lost bulb.

What really bugs me is that it seems unnecessarily difficult to do this task. There is little room to moved about, one can't see and has to go by feel. There is no way changing a bulb should be this difficult. Do I have to go to my dealer every time the bulb burns out? I find this unacceptable!

I have been in possession of this bike for one year and have had to replace three low beam  bulbs. Is this normal?

Sorry. , I'm really unhappy about this. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Evening Eisenwal

Lots of things on the modern BMW motorcycles are not easy but there are workarounds.

The heaxhead headlight bulbs are not that difficult (ONCE YOU FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT), not everybody does it the same way as hand size & dexterity can make one way better than another.

Personally I do the R/H bulb from the front of the motorcycle while sitting on a plastic milk crate & reaching up over the front fender. (Sometimes it helps some to remove the horn & get it out of the way). It usually takes me under 5 minutes to replace R/H bulb. 

The work is kind of blind doing it that way but you can look in through the lens & see/verify that the bulb is correctly located/seated in the housing socket.

So far this technique has not worked for me on the right low beam bulb. I got the left replaced once so was falsely optimistic about doing the right. I've spent at least an hour on it so far. My hand may be too big to work in that space. Thanks for your reply

On 3/30/2021 at 5:37 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening Eisenwal

Lots of things on the modern BMW motorcycles are not easy but there are workarounds.

The heaxhead headlight bulbs are not that difficult (ONCE YOU FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT), not everybody does it the same way as hand size & dexterity can make one way better than another.

Personally I do the R/H bulb from the front of the motorcycle while sitting on a plastic milk crate & reaching up over the front fender. (Sometimes it helps some to remove the horn & get it out of the way). It usually takes me under 5 minutes to replace R/H bulb. 

The work is kind of blind doing it that way but you can look in through the lens & see/verify that the bulb is correctly located/seated in the housing socket.

This is how I do it as well.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:44 PM, Eisenwal said:

So far this technique has not worked for me on the right low beam bulb. I got the left replaced once so was falsely optimistic about doing the right. I've spent at least an hour on it so far. My hand may be too big to work in that space. Thanks for your reply

Afternoon Eisenwal

What is in the way for you to work in there? I have fairly large hands & can get in there OK. Kind of awkward but definitely works. 

I run Cyclops and its impossible to pack the unit into the light correctly unless I remove the outer panels, the dash, trim panels, windscreen, and pull out the pins in the windscreen elevation arms. Then, 2 screws holding the cowling (including headlight),

disconnect turn signals and power to the headlight, hold the cowl and gently separate from the bike. Find  a chair, hold unit  in my lap and enjoy resaonable access to all the lamp ports. I spend about the same amount of time doing it this way as I would struggleing blindly not seeing what I'm doing and maybe breaking something like those wire clips! 

On 4/2/2021 at 1:56 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Eisenwal

What is in the way for you to work in there? I have fairly large hands & can get in there OK. Kind of awkward but definitely works. 

Part of my problem seems to be getting the bulb past the spring clip and wiring in order to seat it. I think I have room to seat the bulb but sometimes I can see the spring clip. It looks like I'm not getting it and the wiring out of the way or they are moving while I try to seat the bulb. I may be catching and moving them as I try to position the bulb. I guess I just have to keep at it until I can feel everything and have it all sorted out. A learning experience.

This time, aside from replacing the bulb, the problem actually turned out to be a canbus issue, which my mechanic corrected.