IGNORED

Front axle pinch screw

strataj

I ordered part # 07129906017 to replace the OEM from my 2014R1200RT, the new part is 10mm shorter.  All parts fiche (Real OEM, Max, A&S) show the same new part for my bike, the parts guy didn't know if it was changed by BMW.  The new part came with locktite (OEM didn't have any) but it doesn't do much since it covers just a tread or two once installed.  I get about 4 turns of the screw before coming to the proper torque.  I believe it's ok but just wanted to see what others thought. 

32 minutes ago, strataj said:

I ordered part # 07129906017 to replace the OEM from my 2014R1200RT, the new part is 10mm shorter.  All parts fiche (Real OEM, Max, A&S) show the same new part for my bike, the parts guy didn't know if it was changed by BMW.  The new part came with locktite (OEM didn't have any) but it doesn't do much since it covers just a tread or two once installed.  I get about 4 turns of the screw before coming to the proper torque.  I believe it's ok but just wanted to see what others thought. 

Afternoon strataj

The  p/n- 07129906017 bolt should be 25mm long (from under the head to end). By your deception it sounds short but my parts book confirms the correct part number should be  07129906017. 

21 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon strataj

The  p/n- 07129906017 bolt should be 25mm long (from under the head to end). By your deception it sounds short but my parts book confirms the correct part number should be  07129906017. 

Thanks DR, the the one that came with the bike is 35mm long.  The screw hole is threaded all the way through, the one that came with the bike goes to the end of that.  I wonder if they changed that at some point making for a shorter screw, still I think it should be another 5mm longer.  Thanks again DR.

10 minutes ago, strataj said:

Thanks DR, the the one that came with the bike is 35mm long.  The screw hole is threaded all the way through, the one that came with the bike goes to the end of that.  I wonder if they changed that at some point making for a shorter screw, still I think it should be another 5mm longer.  Thanks again DR.

Afternoon strataj

That does sound wrong, the wethead GS uses a 35mm bolt, if the original was 35mm & if the threads will accept 35mm then (personally) I would probably use a 35mm bolt as more thread engagement is better than not enough. Typically you want at least one bolt diameter thread engagement  (even a little more if in softer alloy) 

• Like 1

Wow.  I got the part number from Real OEM entering in my build date and came up with the shorter one, plus the dealer parts fiche.   Interesting that Real OEM also says that screw is correct for my bike.  Appreciate the help Boxflyer! 

Thank you DR I'm going to order the 35mm length, that's what should be in my 14R1200RT.