IGNORED

It was really, really empty

Rougarou

As I left work yesterday, I saw that I had 25 miles left to fill up on the 50 mile commute home on the GSA,....meh, done it before, gone well below zero, no biggie.  3/4 of the way home, bike was zero'd out for miles left, I stop at a usual fuel farm to feed the beast.  Ended up putting 8.1 gallons in 7.9 useable gallon tank,.....coulda actually squooze some more fuel in there.  I've done high 7's before, but I don't recall, since owning, breaking the 8 gallon range.  Could the fuel farm pump be off a bit?  Anyway, the math on that tank has me at 40 mpg.

• Like 1

I had that experience once in a Pick-up I owned.  IT had a 17.5 gallon tank, I filled up and it was 22 gallons.  I told the manager in the sation and he gave me attitude, I called the State Troopers, showed them the trucks specs from the manual, challenged them to drain the tank and re-fill it, if it took 5 gallons more than the manual said it would I would pay double.  They shut the gas station down and the bureau of weights and measures was called in.  The station never re-opened. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

As I left work yesterday, I saw that I had 25 miles left to fill up on the 50 mile commute home on the GSA,....meh, done it before, gone well below zero, no biggie.  3/4 of the way home, bike was zero'd out for miles left, I stop at a usual fuel farm to feed the beast.  Ended up putting 8.1 gallons in 7.9 useable gallon tank,.....coulda actually squooze some more fuel in there.  I've done high 7's before, but I don't recall, since owning, breaking the 8 gallon range.  Could the fuel farm pump be off a bit?  Anyway, the math on that tank has me at 40 mpg.

Morning   Rougarou

The BMW riders manual fuel amount is based on a proper emission level fill.

Due to modern vehicles having emission evap canisters there is usually an air space allotted at the top of the fuel tank  (above the proper fuel fill level) to keep a full tank from sending raw fuel into the evap canister).

A lot of riders don't pay attention to that allotted air space & over-fill the tank with fuel. This is usually OK if they ride for a ways to lower the fuel level in the tank before parking the motorcycle in the hot sun.

Given the right gas pump that doesn't kick off easily,  & being persistent filling an empty tank, then a fair amount over the BMW specified amount can be forced in.  (not good for the emission evap system but it can be forced in).

I had a 38 gallon Suburban that if I was persistent & had driven far enough to get the purge to open I could actually get almost 46 gallons in that vehicle. (completely filled the fuel  tank emission air dome). I wouldn't want to park it in the hot sun that way but it was great for starting out on a long trip.    

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning   Rougarou

The BMW riders manual fuel amount is based on a proper emission level fill.

Due to modern vehicles having emission evap canisters there is usually an air space allotted at the top of the fuel tank  (above the proper fuel fill level) to keep a full tank from sending raw fuel into the evap canister).

A lot of riders don't pay attention to that allotted air space & over-fill the tank with fuel. This is usually OK if they ride for a ways to lower the fuel level in the tank before parking the motorcycle in the hot sun.

Given the right gas pump that doesn't kick off easily,  & being persistent filling an empty tank, then a fair amount over the BMW specified amount can be force in.  (not good for the emission evap system but it can be forced in).

I had a 38 gallon Suburban that if I was persistent & had driven far enough to get the purge to open I could actually get almost 46 gallons in that vehicle. (completely filled the fuel  tank emission air dome). I wouldn't want to park it in the hot sun that way but it was great for starting out on a long trip.    

Gotcha, that makes sense,.....I'm an over filler.  Fuel up, bounce the air out, fuel up some more.

My dad did an mid 70s Grand Prix the way you did, but he used what the local refinery workers referred to as "drip", "unrefined" fuel, hence they would "sneak" it out for free in the backs of their trucks (additional fuel tanks).  Caused the valves to clatter like crazy, but he'd hand fill the car, bounce it til the air got out, and then fill until no more bubbles escaped.  this was done prior to any long trip.

9 hours ago, Patallaire said:

I had that experience once in a Pick-up I owned.  IT had a 17.5 gallon tank, I filled up and it was 22 gallons.  I told the manager in the sation and he gave me attitude, I called the State Troopers, showed them the trucks specs from the manual, challenged them to drain the tank and re-fill it, if it took 5 gallons more than the manual said it would I would pay double.  They shut the gas station down and the bureau of weights and measures was called in.  The station never re-opened. 

And that just sucks as blatant skimming.  I'd seen TV reports some years ago when undercover reporters LE's would do a pump check, interesting times back then and still are today.

A really empty story. I loaded my GS onto the truck this morning to get it up to MAX for the fuel pump recall and have it serviced while there. Anyway, I drove the truck over the side yard that has a pitch to lessen the angle of the ramp. Unfortunately, with 29 miles till empty showing on the computer (truck) it doesn’t run very long with the nose pitched down. :dopeslap: Luckily I had half a gallon in a can and fixed my self made cluster ....! :spittake:

• Haha 1