IGNORED

Need Help from UK Residents

My brother and I had planned a motorcycle trip to the UK through a travel company.  We’re using RoadTrip / Magellan Tours and they have been fantastic with their communications. 

Our original trip was planned for August of 2020, and obviously that was a no go.  Magellan re-planned the trip for us for 2021 with no price increases for rooms and motorcycles. 

With parts of the world seeming to “open up” my question for people who reside in the UK, what should we expect?  Will we even able to go?  Both of us are vaccinated.  I look at the US State Department website and the UK Government website and am even more confused.  We both understand needing Covid tests, before we leave. 

Can someone who has actual “boots on the ground” there give an explanation to a simple SOB like myself?  I can’t get a straight answer on quarantine.  That will be a deal killer.  Neither of us can afford an extra $3000 to sit for 10 days before we start.  I just get run around in circles at the websites.  We’re traveling non stop from SFO to LHR.    

Any information would be helpful. Thank you.  

David - 

I have a sister living in the UK and the last email I received from her (about a week ago) said:

I have finally had my first jab and our restaurants are still well and truly shut, even for dining on the patio.  We finally get to drive more than five miles to exercise on Monday, and will be able to meet up with two households – outdoors only.

I can ask what the restrictions are for people traveling in and out, but that changes often so you'd probably do better to check an official UK government website for details. Sounds like the UK is very restrictive and don't plan to ease those restrictions any time soon. 

Jim

7 minutes ago, RT_Jim said:

David - 

I have a sister living in the UK and the last email I received from her (about a week ago) said:

I have finally had my first jab and our restaurants are still well and truly shut, even for dining on the patio.  We finally get to drive more than five miles to exercise on Monday, and will be able to meet up with two households – outdoors only.

I can ask what the restrictions are for people traveling in and out, but that changes often so you'd probably do better to check an official UK government website for details. Sounds like the UK is very restrictive and don't plan to ease those restrictions any time soon. 

Jim

Thank you Jim.  I appreciate it.  I've been checking the official UK.gov, but sometimes I end up in a circle.  I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger on yet another year's postponement.  We had a backup plan with riding to Alaska.  Now the Canadian PM says the land borders will probably remain closed through the summer.  

#Boffin

#Steve 1962 

They both last checked in in January of this year. 

Canada won't have all (willing) adults vaccinated until late August.  No plans to recognize vaccine passports and they are a very sticky subject right now.  I don't envision quarantine-free land travel across the US/Canada border until there are 6-8 weeks of minimal COVID-19 cases (on both sides of the border).  The last public opinion poll here had 85% support for continued closure to all non-essential travel.   

As I read the UK travel documents it looks like they plan on continuing the 10 day visitor quarantine until at least June. 

Mike C

9 minutes ago, MikeRC said:

As I read the UK travel documents it looks like they plan on continuing the 10 day visitor quarantine until at least June. 

Mike C

That's how I've read it.  My problem is, I only have until mid-May to make a decision, or I start loosing deposit monies.  Very frustrating.  Two years in a row.

• Sad 1

Here's the current Canadian government position on transiting Canada to get to Alaska:

Driving to or from Alaska through Canada

You can’t transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure. When seeking entry to Canada, you will be subject to strict entry conditions and public health requirements. You will need to have proof that your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:

• proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
  • proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south

You must provide proof of a valid test result to enter Canada.

• Thanks 1