IGNORED

Drivers Back Rest suggestions....

TexasMule

Just came back from a 1,200+ trip through the Ozarks and am really in need of a back rest.

I've googled until my eyes bled, but the only back rest I see for a WC RT is Bakup.  Sargent makes one but

it's specifically for Sargent seats.   

Anyone have any suggestions before I bite the bullet and spend $400+ on a Bakup.  I'll search on EBay for

a used one, but would like to find one before the Rally this summer.

TM

I have the Bak-Up, but I can't get my front seat to snap in with the back rest in place.  This is my second time around, and the problem persists.  Maybe it's because of my "low" seat; I don't know.  However, the dealer and factory couldn't figure out why I was having the issue.  I got a refund for the first one I bought, then I bought this one used.  Same deal:  the front seat doesn't snap into place.

Not a real solution to your question, but I've found that strapping a sleeping bag in the correct position on the back seat acted as a comfortable back rest for me on a few long rides.

Like Ken S said above…using a bag that can also be for some other purpose works well.

I use a small tail bag that I've reinforced inside with a frame made from one of those yellow kitty litter tubs cut down so one side is missing.  This allows me to fill the inside of the bag with lots of extra things that are basically overflow from my tank bag.  I can easily unclip this bag and take it into my motel room for the night for security.

Using the frame from a plastic rectangular bucket with some padding between the end of the plastic bucket and the part of the tail bag that my lower back rests on gives me all day comfort, is easy to attach/detach, has lots of utility, costs very little, is flexible, costs relatively low $$$, and can be tailored to your personal needs.

I've included some pics below of what my current bag is (for the last 50k miles) and what I think I'll go to next…that being a more spacious rectangular bag from Chase Harper.

Chase Harper USA 4200 Hideaway Tail Trunk (Amazon link)

untitled-1-2.jpg

RDL1.jpeg

Seat bag.jpg

Chase Harper 4200.jpg

• Like 1
On 3/28/2021 at 4:17 PM, Ken S said:

Not a real solution to your question, but I've found that strapping a sleeping bag in the correct position on the back seat acted as a comfortable back rest for me on a few long rides.

I use my dry bag....sooner or later I'll probably buy the Bak-Up

Sargent makes one but

it's specifically for Sargent seats. 

and you have to buy both rider and passenger seats as the back rest attaches to passenger seat..... a rip off

16 minutes ago, Sandlapper said:

and you have to buy both rider and passenger seats as the back rest attaches to passenger seat..... a rip off

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was thinking of getting the backrest as I have the rider Sargent seat but not the passenger.

I have had two Russell seats with their optional back rests installed. Very good quality, function well. 

BUT....

I will never own a backrest on a bike again! Not only are they a PITA to mount and dismount the bike even on short trips, but they both rubbed a sore spot on my back after a few hours. All versions of back rests I have seen are a somewhat small padded area. Especially in riding gear it just doesn't spread out the load enough. 

So, on EVERY long ride I take I have one of several dry bag/luggage style bags that I fasten to the passenger seat. Get them stuffed just right and you can do 1000 mile days and appreciate their support with no getting sore!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the bak-up set (driver and pillion).  I bought them used (over paid I'm afraid), but you don't see them available for sale too often.  Quality is good, but clearly not a mass-produced items - a little rough around the edges (literally and figuratively).  But, they get the job done.

Try the Forum Search site in my signature to see if you can find a used set.  Be specific and sort the results by date....

I have the bakup driver backrest.   For the guy that can’t get seat to snap back in, the fix is a pair of eccentric mounting rubbers from Amazon $15.   Adjust until it likes it enough to snap in.