IGNORED

What is this

PastorJay

I was looking to purchase a top case with a light. However, I cannot find a plug that i could plug it into. Im thinking there may not be a plug because my bike is not equipped with central locking. Is that true. I did find an outlet on the left side of the passenger seat area. (Pictured) What is this an outlet for?

Thanks again. 

IMG_6631.jpg

Joe Frickin' Friday
8 minutes ago, PastorJay said:

I was looking to purchase a top case with a light. However, I cannot find a plug that i could plug it into. Im thinking there may not be a plug because my bike is not equipped with central locking. Is that true. I did find an outlet on the left side of the passenger seat area. (Pictured) What is this an outlet for?

Thanks again. 

IMG_6631.jpg

It's a "powerlet" outlet, suitable for electric clothing or pretty much anything else.  It's keyswitched, so it should work fine for your topcase light.  Powerlet plugs are available from lots of places, so if your topcase light doesn't already feature a powerlet plug, it should be an easy retrofit.

image.png.8a2262de8a12a4a4e9fdff2978c6c925.png

2 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

It's a "powerlet" outlet, suitable for electric clothing or pretty much anything else.  It's keyswitched, so it should work fine for your topcase light.  Powerlet plugs are available from lots of places, so if your topcase light doesn't already feature a powerlet plug, it should be an easy retrofit.

image.png.8a2262de8a12a4a4e9fdff2978c6c925.png

Thanks, appreciate it. 

On my 2019 R/T, the harness plug for the top case is under the rear seat and is round deutz type connector.   I am not sure how far back that goes in model year bikes, but my bike is similar to prior year chassis...I was told the motor is only difference, but that dealership is no longer around.  So there's that.  :dontknow:

szurszewski

That plug is also called “DIN” or “HELLA” - common in euro cars and also John Deere tractors and such. Google any of those to get lots of options for accessories or wiring plugs that fit. 

BUT! I bet wbw is correct and there is already a harness for the top case under the pillion seat. I know as far back as the ‘99 LTs the harness wiring was there if there was a factory powered top case available for the particular bike, so I’d be surprised if they discontinued that practice. 

The connector is probably a large barrel type 

image.png.5749b0e4a83b9555eb6c1a24cac7bf03.png

• Like 1

Yeah, that is the one.   For the life of me, I could not name it properly.  That 10 - pin connector is very similar to the diagnostic port on my 2000 R 1200 C.  Just did not know what to call it.   10-pin connector.   I like that. 

The plug szurszewski is showing is the same on my 2014.  The BMW Top Case plugs right in.  If no case ever installed it probably has a cap on it.  Don't throw the cap away.  If you decide to ride without the top case you will want to reinstall the cap.  The Dealer through mine away when they installed it.  I didn't press them to get me another one but wish I had.  The additional light on the BMW case is really helps others see you when you brake.  It's a very expensive case so you might check sources for used or other brands.

If you are buy another brand of top case like a GIVI...I suspect you would need to do something else to wire it in.  

szurszewski

Just to clarify, the din/hella/powerlet plug is the one pastor Jay and jff showed. 

I also don’t know the proper name of the connector for the top box - I call them barrel connectors, but I don’t know if I read that somewhere or just made it up.  They are used on diagnostic ports for bmw bikes and pre-OBDII cars as well as for general harness connections. 

• Like 2