IGNORED

Zumo XT Wiring

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I hope to do a major trip soon, and more riding in general.  I bit the bullet and bought a Zumo XT while they were on sale for $399.  It's back ordered, but I should have it sometime next week.

Where/what is the preferred wiring point for my 2010 RT?  Any particular nifty ideas or insights?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, DaveTheAffable said:

I hope to do a major trip soon, and more riding in general.  I bit the bullet and bought a Zumo XT while they were on sale for $399.  It's back ordered, but I should have it sometime next week.

Where/what is the preferred wiring point for my 2010 RT?  Any particular nifty ideas or insights?

Thanks!

Morning Dave

A LOT depends on how YOU want it to function. Do you want it to go off with the key, or go off with the key-off delay of the onboard power sockets, or stay on until you manually turn it off?

I always wire my personal GPS devices to fused battery direct so they stay on even if the key is turned off at rest stops or fueling stops. That gives my uninterrupted captured tracks, avoids the re-boot delay at ride-away, etc. 

Let this thread run a couple of days to allow camhead GPS users to chime in with how they wire theirs & the reasoning behind that decision. 

Another option is to use the connection BMW provides for their NAV units, which powers up and down (with a slight delay) with the ignition. There is a capped socket taped to the steering stem (right side?) that accepts a BMW repair plug, part number 83 30 0 413 585. The plug is about $17 at your dealer.

The plug comes with leads that you splice to the power lead on the XT mount. Small numbers molded into the plug identify the leads, Pin 1 is ground, Pin 3 is +12V,  Pin 2 is not used with  the XT.

83300413585_1_B.jpg

My understanding is that the XT power lead is rather long, with a small box near the end to step down the voltage from 12V to 5V, which you must keep. On the RT it should be easy to hide this box and any excess wire under the fairing. Wired this way, the XT will go to sleep about 30 seconds after the ignition turns off, and waken quickly when powered back up. Sleep mode is preceded by a warning screen that lets you keep it awake if you wish. If you want the unit to actually turn off, you must hold the power button down for a few seconds.

• 2 weeks later...
DaveTheAffable

Thank you for the connector suggestion. I picked one up from the BMW dealer yesterday.

I will be mounting the GPS above the dash. Any suggestions on the best way to route the wiring down and behind?  (Still waiting for the delivery of the Zumo XT. Evidently, a lot of people bought one at the sale price and they are back ordered)