IGNORED

Garmin Updates!

Bernie

Garmin has updated the Garmin Express for Mac and has updated the City Navigator NT NA 2022.10 map data for the GPS units.

• Thanks 1
RandyShields
25 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Garmin has updated the Garmin Express for Mac and has updated the City Navigator NT NA 2022.10 map data for the GPS units.

Thanks for the head's up.  I just downloaded the prior update last week (2021.3), so would not have checked on a newer version without your note.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Thanks for the head's up.  I just downloaded the prior update last week (2021.3), so would not have checked on a newer version without your note.

I just getting you ready for the routes. I found out this morning and I had to make a few adjustments.

For some reason Wayah Rd and a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway have been relocated. Earthquake? Or maybe it is the great road maintenance.

Of course most likely it is a screw up by the Map data collector. LOL

• Haha 1

Afternoon ____

People with a Windows PC be careful as according to Garmin the new map update forces a new Garmin Express & forces a new Map updater install,  the new Garmin Express might then force your Base Camp to update to latest BaseCamp.

If you are using the much preferred & better functioning older BaseCamp  4.6.2 then that could  probably be gone after the update (I'm still working on this). 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon ____

People with a PC be careful as the new map update forces a new Garmin Express & forces a new Map updater install  & the new Garmin Express will then force your Base Camp to update to latest BaseCamp.

If you are using the much preferred & better functioning older BaseCamp  4.6.2 then that will probably be gone after the update (I'm still working on this). 

Good advice for Windows users. I did not consider their problem with newer versions of BaseCamp. I been using the newer version of BaseCamp on both OS without a problem. But I don’t use Google maps as my database. 

I have had zero issues with the latest version of Basecamp. I have always allowed Garmin Express to install all updates. YMMV

• Like 3

I've been dealing with this so-called "update" all day.  The new CN NA map is a 7.51GB download, much larger than my 8GB Zumo 595LM can handle internally. I was already using a 32GB SD card for the last couple maps, but the new version of Express does not offer that option, or an option to install a smaller portion of the NA map. The new map installed to my PC, but Express errored out for lack of memory on the Zumo and said to contact support for help. The support link provided is not valid. The actual support site says Chat is not available for this device. Phone support said to expect an hour wait. I sent an email, was told I would get a response in 3-5 business days.

Then I found that the old main map (2021.30, on the SDcard) was missing, though both the 2021.30 and 2021.20 FourSquare maps were still present, and my optional Open Streets maps (on the SD card) were missing from the map list, leaving me with the basic NA DEM map, which has no details. The SD card appeared to be intact, the music on the card played, and routes and tracks imported OK.  After several hours of internet searching and a lot of reboots and file exploring, deleting the files in .System/Maps, and reformatting the SD card, I was able to use MapInstall to transfer part of CN NA 2022.10 to the SDcard from the PC. There is a restriction with MapInstall, in that it will not install more than a 4GB map, regardless of the amount of free storage space.  This means you must select which portions of a larger map will be transferred. By selecting only the eastern half of the country, I managed to get a working map for the states I'm most likely to visit this year. If I want to go west, I'll need to reselect only the areas I expect to pass through. Trying to reinstall the OSM map wiped out the partial CN NA map. Reload the partial CN NT, and the OSM is gone, so having alternate maps available is no longer an option.  Where I once had all of North America, an OSM map of only Ohio, and another OSM of the Eastern U.S, I now only have one map of half of the U.S.

I'm hoping this lack of support for an SDcard is a bug in Express that will be corrected soon. If it is an intentional change I'll feel that Garmin has crippled my GPS capability without warning.

• Sad 3
7 hours ago, lkraus said:

I've been dealing with this so-called "update" all day.  The new CN NA map is a 7.51GB download, much larger than my 8GB Zumo 595LM can handle internally. I was already using a 32GB SD card for the last couple maps, but the new version of Express does not offer that option, or an option to install a smaller portion of the NA map. The new map installed to my PC, but Express errored out for lack of memory on the Zumo and said to contact support for help. The support link provided is not valid. The actual support site says Chat is not available for this device. Phone support said to expect an hour wait. I sent an email, was told I would get a response in 3-5 business days.

Then I found that the old main map (2021.30, on the SDcard) was missing, though both the 2021.30 and 2021.20 FourSquare maps were still present, and my optional Open Streets maps (on the SD card) were missing from the map list, leaving me with the basic NA DEM map, which has no details. The SD card appeared to be intact, the music on the card played, and routes and tracks imported OK.  After several hours of internet searching and a lot of reboots and file exploring, deleting the files in .System/Maps, and reformatting the SD card, I was able to use MapInstall to transfer part of CN NA 2022.10 to the SDcard from the PC. There is a restriction with MapInstall, in that it will not install more than a 4GB map, regardless of the amount of free storage space.  This means you must select which portions of a larger map will be transferred. By selecting only the eastern half of the country, I managed to get a working map for the states I'm most likely to visit this year. If I want to go west, I'll need to reselect only the areas I expect to pass through. Trying to reinstall the OSM map wiped out the partial CN NA map. Reload the partial CN NT, and the OSM is gone, so having alternate maps available is no longer an option.  Where I once had all of North America, an OSM map of only Ohio, and another OSM of the Eastern U.S, I now only have one map of half of the U.S.

I'm hoping this lack of support for an SDcard is a bug in Express that will be corrected soon. If it is an intentional change I'll feel that Garmin has crippled my GPS capability without warning.

Morning Larry

That is one of the initial problems wit the new Garmin Express.

I just did a friends Zumo that won't hold the entire map on the main drive, it went pretty smooth but I have the process down pretty good after dealing with it's lack of storage space in the past.  

As long as the device has LifeTime maps linked to it's serial number & the new NT map is downloaded using that devices connection to the computer  I just remove the SD card, Open Garmin express, then go through the map download process. (it has no choice but to only download to computer as there is not enough space in JUST the GPS drive).

With no SD card it will either automatically download the map "only to the computer" or under advanced options give you the option of choosing "Only download to computer".

Keep in mind that you need the GPS connected as Garmin has eliminated the on-line map authentication so you can't use that option any longer.

Once the map has downloaded to the computer I then reinstall the SD card then verify that both the GPS & the SD card have a folder on them named GARMIN. 

I then bring up the new map in MapSource (remember  that program?) to me it works better & is easier to use to install combined or large maps than either Map Install or Basecamp. (unfortunately MapSource only works on a Windows PC)

I then use the MAP TOOL on Map Source to select my state & the surrounding states, then make sure the GPS drive itself is shown  in the "send-to-device" button. If the GPS drive (not the SD card drive is shown I then click "send-to-device". -- This installs my state & the surrounding states onto the GPS main drive. 

Then I, again, use the MAP TOOL  & surround the entire U.S., once the entire  U.S. is highlighted I then go back & individually click on my state & the surrounding states to un-highlight the same states that I sent to the GPS main drive. (you don't want any overlapping maps with the same version of NT maps in two different locations on the GPS).  

I now select the SD card drive in the "send-to-device" button then click send to send the remainder of the U.S. (or as much as I have previously selected)  to the SD card.

If an older Garmin GPS unit then  on the main GPS drive the Gmapprom or Gmapsupp will be overwritten (depends on the GPS), & on the SD card the Gmapsupp will be overwritten. 

On the older Garmin GPS devices you can also combine map sets (like current NT map + Topo map + OpenStreet map, etc)  into a single map set using the MapSource's "Map Tool" then send your combined map set to the GPS as a single usable map set. (you will then have to go into the GPS map info & turn on or turn off the map or maps that want or don't want to run together as you only want one map running at at time to avoid routing corruption). 

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. In my case I have the latest version of Garmin Express and a Navigator V with a 16gb SD card. The latest map (2022.1) loaded automatically via the new Garmin Express and automatically split the map between the internal storage (8gb) and the SD card. 

I am so sorry to hear about all the problems everyone is having. I do not work for Garmin or any software company. I repair boilers. 
I was just trying to provide some information. I had no problems with the update on either my Nav6 or my MacBook. I will try it on my Windows notebook next week. 
I guess I should have done more research before making any suggestions to use this program update. 
I better just go for a ride.:4617:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I am so sorry to hear about all the problems everyone is having. I do not work for Garmin or any software company. I repair boilers. 
I was just trying to provide some information. I had no problems with the update on either my Nav6 or my MacBook. I will try it on my Windows notebook next week. 
I guess I should have done more research before making any suggestions to use this program update. 
I better just go for a ride.:4617:

Morning   Bernie

You did nothing wrong, you alerted readers to a new Garmin NT map update. For most (non BaseCamp power users) that are  using newer GPS devices it will get them the basic new Garmin NT map update put where GARMIN wants it.

Unfortunately there are still a lot of users with older GPS devices with limited  internal storage or have custom named maps in their GPS  that the new Map Installer can't see or deal with.

Most of us (Power Users) know who we are so know how to deal with, or work around, the  latest Garmin nanny-control. 

It took me a long time to undo the later Map Install updates & roll the Map Install back to a version that worked well with older & the largest variety of GPS units. (now Garmin wants to automatically update it back to a current version that only works well with newer GPS devices).   Shame on Garmin & their bully policies.

Same with the Windows version of Base Camp,  since BaseCamp version 4.6.2 Garmin has been steadily removing some functions (to conform to European standards & rumor has it to save them some money). Some of these functions are  important to the users that have to deal with intricate detailed routing or deal with a variety of older GPS devices that need to follow the EXACT same minor roads, trails, & single track's. 

Most of the riders that are the most effected by the new forced update policy know who they are & know how to (or can easily figure out how to) deal with the latest Garmin tricks.  

For most with newer Garmin GPS devices they can just download & ride making standard simple routes & enjoying a simple life. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

It took me a long time to undo the later Map Install updates & roll the Map Install back to a version that worked well with older & the largest variety of GPS units. (now Garmin wants to automatically update it back to a current version that only works well with newer GPS devices).   Shame on Garmin & their bully policies.

DR - which version of Mapinstall are you finding the best to use for control of map installations on older devices.  I have a 450 and 550 that I am especially concerned with.

1 hour ago, Michaelr11 said:

DR - which version of Mapinstall are you finding the best to use for control of map installations on older devices.  I have a 450 and 550 that I am especially concerned with.

Morning Michaelr11

Most of the older installers seem to work OK, a lot of us power users that have to deal with multiple older Garmin devices do like & use the older  Map Install version 4.0.4.

Unfortunately it is not an easy revert back to 4.0.4 as the later Map Install programs leave entries in the computer's registry (even after program removal) so you have to go in & manually hack your registry. THEN install the  4.0.4. If you don't remove those old registry entries then it won't work properly

But that isn't the end of Garmin's bullying as you also have to revert back to BaseCamp version 4.6.2 as any later version BaseCamp will usually automatically install (or re-install) the later version of Map Install.

But, there's more-- after the  BaseCamp version 4.6.2 install you have to go into your Firewall (or into your Anti-Virus)  then turn off BaseCamp version 4.6.2's ability to contact the internet. If you don't do that then it will keep pestering you to death to install the latest version of  BaseCamp on every usage, or simply update it on it's own.

If that happens then it dumps the  older Map Install as a later BaseCamp update will automatically install a later (registry ingrained) version of Map Install.

If you are only dealing with your older Zumo's & already have BaseCamp installed on your computer then my first suggestion is to just find & install the  6.16.3 version of MapSource (having a pre-existing BaseCamp install will allow that as you then won't need the MapSource install code.  (you can probably find MapSource 6.16.3 on the internet).

Try using MapSource to install your new 2022.10 NT map per my info above this posting, in most cases that will work just fine.

One of the problems with the older Zumo's is they only recognize  Gmapprom & Gmapsupp named maps. Over the years people end up with other (different named) maps in their Zumo's. Those are not easily seen or overwritten so you end up with very limited internal storage due to saved maps that can't be used or over-written.  

I would have tried to update to the new map eventually, so Bernie, you have no reason to apologize. I tried removing the new Express yesterday, and installed a older version I had (4.2).  It insisted on updating to the new version. I quit resisting the the Basecamp/MapInstall upgrade a while back. DR explained the hoops you need to go through and I really did not use the lost features in Basecamp anyway.

At dirtriders suggestion, today I found a copy of Mapsource 6.16.3 and used that to transfer map sets from CNNA 2022.1 on the PC to the SD card.  I tried a set of the lower 48 states, with some areas of southern Canada (~3,002,468 bytes) and northern Mexico. It shows up in the MyMaps list, but shows only highways. Tried again with only the lower 48 states, may have had a few more major roads, but was still lacking residential areas(2,779,712 bytes).  I restricted a set to the states east of the Missisippi and that seems to show full details(1,648,704 bytes).  Pretty much the same results as using MapInstall.

Both MapInstall and Mapsource install a map set on the SDcard as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img. Transferring another set overwrites that file. I can rename that file, and transfer another set (and repeat), and they will all show up in the MyMaps menu, but only the *.img named gmapsupp.img will show any detail. Selecting any of the others actually seems to display the NA DEM map. So I guess you could store several sets on the SD card, but you would still need a PC to rename the files before they would be of any use.

The (much smaller) map I have working is good enough for now and I'm hoping in the next few weeks Garmin will come up with a fix. I'm thinking something has filled up my internal memory since others have reported not needing an SD card, or being able to split the map between the two locations. Since a couple of old Foursquare maps were not deleted on previous updates, I'm thinking maybe if I can make a backup disk image of the internal storage and try to identify/delete anything that might be an old map...  At the moment I'm tired of looking at this damn thing. 

I had actually been thinking the Zumo XT would be a nice upgrade but if Garmin has made these changes intentionally I don't think I want to give them another dime. If they are dropping support, OK, but give me some warning before you downgrade my equipment so I can choose not to allow the change.  I've also seen some XT issues reported at advrider.com and zumouserforums.co.uk that have me thinking wait-and-see is the best approach.

Google/Locus/CoPilot on my phone is looking better every day.

44 minutes ago, lkraus said:

I would have tried to update to the new map eventually, so Bernie, you have no reason to apologize. I tried removing the new Express yesterday, and installed a older version I had (4.2).  It insisted on updating to the new version. I quit resisting the the Basecamp/MapInstall upgrade a while back. DR explained the hoops you need to go through and I really did not use the lost features in Basecamp anyway.

At dirtriders suggestion, today I found a copy of Mapsource 6.16.3 and used that to transfer map sets from CNNA 2022.1 on the PC to the SD card.  I tried a set of the lower 48 states, with some areas of southern Canada (~3,002,468 bytes) and northern Mexico. It shows up in the MyMaps list, but shows only highways. Tried again with only the lower 48 states, may have had a few more major roads, but was still lacking residential areas(2,779,712 bytes).  I restricted a set to the states east of the Missisippi and that seems to show full details(1,648,704 bytes).  Pretty much the same results as using MapInstall.

Both MapInstall and Mapsource install a map set on the SDcard as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img. Transferring another set overwrites that file. I can rename that file, and transfer another set (and repeat), and they will all show up in the MyMaps menu, but only the *.img named gmapsupp.img will show any detail. Selecting any of the others actually seems to display the NA DEM map. So I guess you could store several sets on the SD card, but you would still need a PC to rename the files before they would be of any use.

The (much smaller) map I have working is good enough for now and I'm hoping in the next few weeks Garmin will come up with a fix. I'm thinking something has filled up my internal memory since others have reported not needing an SD card, or being able to split the map between the two locations. Since a couple of old Foursquare maps were not deleted on previous updates, I'm thinking maybe if I can make a backup disk image of the internal storage and try to identify/delete anything that might be an old map...  At the moment I'm tired of looking at this damn thing. 

I had actually been thinking the Zumo XT would be a nice upgrade but if Garmin has made these changes intentionally I don't think I want to give them another dime. If they are dropping support, OK, but give me some warning before you downgrade my equipment so I can choose not to allow the change.  I've also seen some XT issues reported at advrider.com and zumouserforums.co.uk that have me thinking wait-and-see is the best approach.

Google/Locus/CoPilot on my phone is looking better every day.

Afternoon Larry

It sort of sounds like you didn't get  a full download, possibly only the map-overview for the western states.

In BaseCamp can you zero down to street level in the western states & see minor details?

You might hook your GPS back to the computer & try another full map download seeing if you can go advanced & download ONLY to computer. (My last download gave me that option on second download) 

Then use MapSource to install. 

I successfully selected the download to PC (only) on the third try, with full details everywhere I look in Basecamp and Mapsource. Mapsource is what I used today to try various combinations. Trying to transfer a large area seems to reduce the details. Details were missing even in the eastern states that eventually transferred successfully. Does not make sense to me as the img file did get smaller as I reduced the area to be transferred.  I probably have about 18 hours into this in the past two days and I need to get away from it for a while.

1 hour ago, lkraus said:

I successfully selected the download to PC (only) on the third try, with full details everywhere I look in Basecamp and Mapsource. Mapsource is what I used today to try various combinations. Trying to transfer a large area seems to reduce the details. Details were missing even in the eastern states that eventually transferred successfully. Does not make sense to me as the img file did get smaller as I reduced the area to be transferred.  I probably have about 18 hours into this in the past two days and I need to get away from it for a while.

Afternoon Larry

Yes, definitely give your brain a rest, things will look different tomorrow.

Make sure that you are picking major cities to check detail as some areas have very little small detail. 

:5146:I could not leave this stupid thing alone.

In internal memory I found 47 files in the hidden .System/SID directory, totalling 4.47GB. I loaded a dozen or so of the *.sid files into a text editor and every one had clear text at the top referring to old CNNA maps, going back to 2018 (North America NT 2019.20). Googling a bit, it seems these may be maps related to traffic trends and Foursquare. The associated .unl files are (backup?) unlock codes for the maps, and the .gma files authenticate the unlock codes.  I had deleted everything in the .System/Map directory yesterday. Partial listing:

Sid.jpg.7b13102c28c8532e4d06a810a01dfbcb.jpg

I used a utility to make a image backup of the entire internal storage, and deleted all 47 files in the SID folder. Usable free space increased to 5.01GB.

I ran Express, the SDcard was recognized and the new map installed on the SDcard without issue.:5188::5200:

Still ended up with 2.3GB in 19 new files in the SID folder and 93MB more in the internal Map folder. Internal free space is 95.4MB. I may have skipped an option to put more on the SDcard, but this works for now.

Feeling a little cocky, I tried to also use Mapsource to transfer USA OSM TOPO (almost 9GB) , but discovered Mapsource apparently has a 4GB limit on a single map file. MapInstall took care of it (slowly), automatically splitting it into three files. Both maps now work perfectly!

:5210:

My assumption is that when the bulk of a new CNNA map goes on the SDCard, there are still many files that have to be installed to internal memory. When there was no room for those files, Express errored out.  I still place the blame for the whole hassle on Express, since those old files should have been deleted during previous map updates. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, lkraus said:

:5146:I could not leave this stupid thing alone.

In internal memory I found 47 files in the hidden .System/SID directory, totalling 4.47GB. I loaded a dozen or so of the *.sid files into a text editor and every one had clear text at the top referring to old CNNA maps, going back to 2018 (North America NT 2019.20). Googling a bit, it seems these may be maps related to traffic trends and Foursquare. The associated .unl files are (backup?) unlock codes for the maps, and the .gma files authenticate the unlock codes.  I had deleted everything in the .System/Map directory yesterday. Partial listing:

Sid.jpg.7b13102c28c8532e4d06a810a01dfbcb.jpg

I used a utility to make a image backup of the entire internal storage, and deleted all 47 files in the SID folder. Usable free space increased to 5.01GB.

I ran Express, the SDcard was recognized and the new map installed on the SDcard without issue.:5188::5200:

Still ended up with 2.3GB in 19 new files in the SID folder and 93MB more in the internal Map folder. Internal free space is 95.4MB. I may have skipped an option to put more on the SDcard, but this works for now.

Feeling a little cocky, I tried to also use Mapsource to transfer USA OSM TOPO (almost 9GB) , but discovered Mapsource apparently has a 4GB limit on a single map file. MapInstall took care of it (slowly), automatically splitting it into three files. Both maps now work perfectly!

:5210:

My assumption is that when the bulk of a new CNNA map goes on the SDCard, there are still many files that have to be installed to internal memory. When there was no room for those files, Express errored out.  I still place the blame for the whole hassle on Express, since those old files should have been deleted during previous map updates. 

Afternoon Larry

Yes, I usually broom my GPS folders every couple of years. If done just before a map update then as long as you save your own personal files like music, photos, routes, & POIs etc then you can pretty well remove anything you want from the SD card. You have to be more careful in cleaning the internal drive as some of those files are needed. 

The .UNL  files are pretty well used to unlock maps on older GPS devices as the newer ones use the GMA  internal signatures (much more difficult to crack or spoof a GMA).  There are also .TYP files baked into most newer maps (they were remote on older maps).

On the TOPO maps I seldom if ever load an entire TOPO map as they are very large & take up a LOT of internal drive space they are not needed for most on-road areas . I tend to keep my TOPO's small & only for the off-road areas that I hunt or ride. Some GPS devices can take a lot longer to boot with large TOPO files installed.

Make sure that you turn off maps in your GPS that are not currently being used, if you end up with overlapping  map segments from different maps that can sometimes cause routing errors.

That is the good part  using MapSource as you can quickly send an area related TOPO to your GPS as needed. Or you can manually break the TOPO's up into 3, 4, 5  or more areas then individually name them for coverage areas. That way you can turn off all the TOPO area maps  that are not currently being used.

lawnchairboy

My old NAV4 "lacks sufficient memory" to upgrade to the new maps apparently...

I was never any good with the da3n thing anyway.

12 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

My old NAV4 "lacks insufficient memory" to upgrade to the new maps apparently...

I was never any good with the da3n thing anyway.

Morning lawnchairboy

Are you eligible for a map update.  On the BMW nav 4 I believe that you need to register it within 60 days of it acquiring its first satellite connection to get a free update (look in your nav 4 owners manual to be sure on this)  

I think that you only get one free update so if you have  one already then you might not get a second.

Did you get  lifetime map updates? 

Hopefully a nav 4 owner will chime in on this__

lawnchairboy

I think it is just feeling it’s age, it has been buggy for a while.  It did have lifetime updates but I am second owner of the box/bike

25 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

I think it is just feeling it’s age, it has been buggy for a while.  It did have lifetime updates but I am second owner of the box/bike

Afternoon lawnchairboy

Age shouldn't have much effect but years of updates, remaining files, & possibly incorrectly named .img files, etc might have it plugged up inside.

It probably could use a complete backup (so you don't loose anything important), then a clean out of the drives, THEN  install a full new mapset. 

This is not something that is easy & a lot can go wrong so you sort of need to know your way around the inside of a GPS to proceed with this.

You might try calling Garmin tec help as they can possibly talk you through the process step by step over the phone.   (if you manage to get the right tec person they can be quite helpful, if you get a dud then hang up & call again later with the idea of getting a more helpful tec)

• Like 1

The Windows utility I linked above is a good one for making an .ISO backup of your Nav before you delete anything.  It will preserve all the hidden partitions, files, boot sectors, etc. so that if something essential disappears you can return it to the current state.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon ____

People with a Windows PC be careful as according to Garmin the new map update forces a new Garmin Express & forces a new Map updater install,  the new Garmin Express might then force your Base Camp to update to latest BaseCamp.

If you are using the much preferred & better functioning older BaseCamp  4.6.2 then that could  probably be gone after the update (I'm still working on this). 

Is there a way to revert back to 4.6.2?

56 minutes ago, lather said:

Is there a way to revert back to 4.6.2?

Afternoon  lather

Yes,

You need to find a SAFE copy of Basecamp 4.6.2 online (Garmin used to have the older Basecamp versions on their web site but I don't think they do any longer (but look around there). Just make sure it is for a Windows PC not for a Mac. 

***just be very careful in downloading any .exe (BaseCamp) as some could contain a virus or worm***    If you find a safe one then "download &  isolate it"  don't click the executable until you scan it with your Anti-Virus program & verify it is safe.

Then, you  need to save all your important tracks, routes, POI's etc to an out of BaseCamp folder  (export them to a remote folder).

Then use Windows " Programs and Features " to totally remove your current Base Camp.

Then reboot your computer.

Then Install the BaseCamp 4.6.2.

Then (important), go into your Windows firewall, or into  your Anti-Virus, & block BaseCamp from accessing the internet. If you don't do this it will keep trying to update to the latest BaseCamp version.  

Then "import" all your removed tracks, routes, POI's etc back into your new 4.6.2 -- Also a good time to clean house & only bring back what is actually needed, leave all the useless things in that remote folder then either save or delete it.

Personally I usually save a folder like that for about 6 months by saving it, then putting a pop up note in my computer's calendar to pop up in 6 months-- if I haven't used anything from that folder in that 6 months I guess I didn't need it so I delete the folder. 

I just got around to checking out the latest version of Express. Version 7.4.1.0 is now available. It did offer to install to my SD card or part of the maps to the base memory on my Nav V.

However, I have or had Europe maps installed on that card and it's been erased. :( 

I'm going through another reinstall of Europe. I hope I don't erase North America while doing so.  

The install went fine on my Nav VI.

I redid the EU maps and all is fine event though it doesn't appear as installed in Express.

Edited by PatM
EU maps
12 hours ago, PatM said:

I just got around to checking out the latest version of Express. Version 7.4.1.0 is now available. It did offer to install to my SD card or part of the maps to the base memory.

However, I have or had Europe maps installed on that card and it's been erased. :( 

I'm going through another reinstall of Europe. I hope I don't erase North America while doing so.  

Evening Pat

It might erase what you have. 

Depends on the GPS but most maps go into the GPS  as a Gmapsupp or Gmapprom, if your  map goes in as a Gmapsupp or Gmapprom then it will usually overwrite the existing Gmapsupp or Gmapprom that is currently on the GPS drive that you are sending it to.

If you have a later model GPS that will find & use maps other than Gmapsupp or Gmapprom then you can go into the GPS drives & re-name the existing map or maps to  something else (like NT2022.1), THEN reinstall your Europe map as then the Europe map will go in as a Gmapsupp or Gmapprom & not over-write the existing map named  NT2022.1.

There are other work-arounds like putting a folder named Garmin on an SD card in your computer then sending the new map to that drive.  THEN re-name the newly installed  map to something other than Gmapsupp. THEN, move that new named map to the Garmin folder on your GPS (this doesn't always work as sometimes the map won't unlock as the GMA file could end up coded to that external SD card & not the GPS,  or the GPS's  internal SD card). But there are work-arounds for this as you can use  a program called JaVaWa device manager to import the GMA or lock codes if you know what you are doing. 

If you have an older GPS you can also use MapSource to combine the Europe & NT map into one map-set then send that to the GPS as one map-set that will go in as a single Gmapsupp but you wont be able to combine both full maps as the size will be too large for MapSource to deal with. (there are workarounds for this also but it gets complicated) 

If you have a newer GPS then the easiest way is to just install (1) map first, then rename it, THEN install the 2nd map.   Some newer GPS devices  will also allow a Gmapsupp1 & Gmapsupp2  & be able to read both. In some cases Map-Install will do this for you so possibly try just adding the 2nd map to see what happens, then see if both maps show up & are usable. If they don't then you will have to manually do it.  

Or another (possibly simpler) work-around is to just buy a 2nd (same size) SD card then clone the new SD card to be just like the card that is in your GPS now. Then use a marker pen to label the original SD card as (U.S.) & label the 2nd SD card as (EURO). 

Then install the  (U.S.) SD card in your GPS and then load the new NT2022.1 to the GPS SD drive.   

Then install the  (EURO) SD card in your GPS and then load the European map to that GPS SD drive.  

When you go to Europe just pop in the (EURO) card  into the GPS & you will have your European map. 

This will work good for routes, tracks, POI's, etc as those are usually  map & area specific so it will function just fine being on separate SD cards.

Things like your music files, or pictures, or other personnel data that are added later  will have to be put on both SD cards unless you only use the additions in one country.  

On 3/22/2021 at 6:30 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening Pat

It might erase what you have. 

Depends on the GPS but most maps go into the GPS  as a Gmapsupp or Gmapprom, if your  map goes in as a Gmapsupp or Gmapprom then it will usually overwrite the existing Gmapsupp or Gmapprom that is currently on the GPS drive that you are sending it to.

If you have a later model GPS that will find & use maps other than Gmapsupp or Gmapprom then you can go into the GPS drives & re-name the existing map or maps to  something else (like NT2022.1), THEN reinstall your Europe map as then the Europe map will go in as a Gmapsupp or Gmapprom & not over-write the existing map named  NT2022.1.

There are other work-arounds like putting a folder named Garmin on an SD card in your computer then sending the new map to that drive.  THEN re-name the newly installed  map to something other than Gmapsupp. THEN, move that new named map to the Garmin folder on your GPS (this doesn't always work as sometimes the map won't unlock as the GMA file could end up coded to that external SD card & not the GPS,  or the GPS's  internal SD card). But there are work-arounds for this as you can use  a program called JaVaWa device manager to import the GMA or lock codes if you know what you are doing. 

If you have an older GPS you can also use MapSource to combine the Europe & NT map into one map-set then send that to the GPS as one map-set that will go in as a single Gmapsupp but you wont be able to combine both full maps as the size will be too large for MapSource to deal with. (there are workarounds for this also but it gets complicated) 

If you have a newer GPS then the easiest way is to just install (1) map first, then rename it, THEN install the 2nd map.   Some newer GPS devices  will also allow a Gmapsupp1 & Gmapsupp2  & be able to read both. In some cases Map-Install will do this for you so possibly try just adding the 2nd map to see what happens, then see if both maps show up & are usable. If they don't then you will have to manually do it.  

Or another (possibly simpler) work-around is to just buy a 2nd (same size) SD card then clone the new SD card to be just like the card that is in your GPS now. Then use a marker pen to label the original SD card as (U.S.) & label the 2nd SD card as (EURO). 

Then install the  (U.S.) SD card in your GPS and then load the new NT2022.1 to the GPS SD drive.   

Then install the  (EURO) SD card in your GPS and then load the European map to that GPS SD drive.  

When you go to Europe just pop in the (EURO) card  into the GPS & you will have your European map. 

This will work good for routes, tracks, POI's, etc as those are usually  map & area specific so it will function just fine being on separate SD cards.

Things like your music files, or pictures, or other personnel data that are added later  will have to be put on both SD cards unless you only use the additions in one country.  

I reloaded Europe with Garmin Express and all maps are there. NA and EU. My Nav V is an NA device and Express won't show EU maps anymore. On the Nav V, all maps are there. On my Nav VI, which is an EU device, the NA map used to show but don't show either.

So either I'm mistaken or this has changed with this new version. Anyhoo, all is well.

8 hours ago, PatM said:

I reloaded Europe with Garmin Express and all maps are there. NA and EU. My Nav V is an NA device and Express won't show EU maps anymore. On the Nav V, all maps are there. On my Nav VI, which is an EU device, the NA map used to show but don't show either.

So either I'm mistaken or this has changed with this new version. Anyhoo, all is well.

Morning Pat

On both of your GPS devices did you zoom ALL the way to street level to verify that the smaller roads & streets show on both maps?

Sometimes the Maps will show & you will have the large (major road & major town view) but that is ONLY from the world (basemap) not the area specific maps.  (just a good final check that both maps are installed correctly)  

9 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Pat

On both of your GPS devices did you zoom ALL the way to street level to verify that the smaller roads & streets show on both maps?

Sometimes the Maps will show & you will have the large (major road & major town view) but that is ONLY from the world (basemap) not the area specific maps.  (just a good final check that both maps are installed correctly)  

I did, thanks

• 5 months later...

The problem on the 550 is not the Express update. The problem is the internal storage on the 550 is no longer big enough for the smallest region - Canada and Border States so Express can not install it there.

Note: due to Dirtrider’s concerns below I removed my instructions and may revise them and post later if helpful.

Morning mikegalbicka

That seems like an awful lot of work & time to simply send a map to the Zumo 550. 

My Z-550 will easily use  an 8GB SD card so it doesn't need to be limited to 4GB. (if your Z-550 can only use a 4GB card then make sure it has the latest Garmin updates installed)

On my Zumo 550 I simply plop in an 8GB SD card, put a folder on the SD card named Garmin. Then use MapInstall or MapSource to split the NT map & send each map part (like) NT 2022.2 (or any other combined maps) to both the 8GB "Garmin" folder & my internal drive on my GPS.

I usually combine  maps into one Gmapsupp for the SD card (like most of NT 2022.2,  & my state Open Street map, etc),  but  split off my home state & surrounding states  plus a state Topo map that gets combined then sent to the Zumo 550 main drive. 

Dirtrider, thanks for clarifying that 8 GB works in the 550. I have never tried that and only included the warning because that is the spec found on Garmin’s support site.

These were my steps when I originally figured out how to do this and I provided the detail for any noobs who could profit from a step by step with a little more detail. As you point out the next time it could be a little quicker perhaps once you understand the mechanics of what needs to be done.

29 minutes ago, mikegalbicka said:

These were my steps when I originally figured out how to do this and I provided the detail for any noobs who could profit from a step by step with a little more detail. As you point out the next time it could be a little quicker perhaps once you understand the mechanics of what needs to be done.

Morning mikegalbicka

It just doesn't seem to be something for  noobs when you are asking them to copy all the files from the main dive onto the SD card (producing duplicate files)  as that then ends  up with duplicate BaseMaps on each, copies the remnants of the main drive mapping over to the SD card, gives them duplicate .sum & .gma files, plus they end up with duplicate splash screen files, & other duplicate unlock & .bin files.  (sounds like a sure way to have future issues that take experience to troubleshoot) 

All it needs on the SD card is a folder named Garmin as the mapping upload/install will automatically produce a Gmapsupp & other related entries needed for map usage automatically.

2 hours ago, mikegalbicka said:

Removed them.

Afternoon  mikegalbicka

Try this____

Hook your GPS to the computer then use Garmin Express to download the entire map to COMPUTER ONLY.  There is a download option to JUST do that. With the GPS hooke up that should download the map as well as import the unlock code into your computer.

Then stick an 8MB SD card in your computer reader, then put a folder on that SD card called Garmin.

Now open that downloaded map in MapSource & use the mouse scroll wheel to make the map as small as possible.   Next click on the  (Map Tool) in MapSource & surround the entre map. Now look at bottom of L/H MapSource pane to see how large that map file is. (should fit on SD card but verify.

Now click on (send to device) & select send map  only.  

That should put the unlocked map & .gms file on the SD card named Gmapsupp.

Or you just leave the old SD card in the GPS & do it through the USB cable as it will automatically over-write the old Gmapsupp map. But if you only have a 4GB  SD card it will be very close to not fitting so you might have to remove some islands that you never ride to  or split the map & put some of it on the GPS main drive (like your state & surrounding states). Just remember that whatever you put on the main drive  you need to first remove from the map that you send to the SD card (so break the it on easy to find & identify map segment lines.