IGNORED

Peaks of Otter ride tale

beamergirl

beamergirl

Hi everyone, back and finally a chance to sit down and post a ride tale. Seems like I’ve been doing double time – oh the payback for a few days off!!!

I was very fortunate to be able to attend a BRP rally at Peaks of Otter in VA grin.gif. Unfortunately frown.gif, time did not allow me to peek in at Mayhem – hopefully next year! From all the reports of those who did attend Mayhem, it appears a good time was had by all and that’s great clap.gif.

My trip started out early Wednesday morning (used the birds as my wake up call), packed up the bike, got dressed, said goodbyes to the girls and Mike – one more kiss for Mike who still had that look of eek.gif which translated to “you’re really leaving me here alone with these two!” and off I headed into a beautifully chilled sunrise. Up over Schoharie Hill and onto I88 – feeling like the world was in my hands.

My destination for the day was Hancock, PA where a room was reserved. Some of the trip was on slab, but then it was off on more scenic routes. From the ones to Hancock, 220 was my favorite. Arrived earlier than expected and contemplated canceling room res to go a few more hours on down the line, but decided to take in the area (walked along an old RR trail), filled bike up and settled in room with maps and homemade potato chip cookies thumbsup.gif.

Thursday was another early start and I had no idea of how beautiful the scenery/roads traveled that day would be. You could stop every few miles to take a pic! Got a little lost twice, but wouldn’t change that; found The Cabin Resturant and stopped for a piece of pie – chocolate pie, had to eat it sitting next to about 5 strawberry pies waiting to go into the oven – ooohhh the temptation to grab just one of those red plump berries. Found myself on 220 again before cutting over the mts on 33 (whew, what a road). To make up for some lost time (stuffing my face), got on 81 to get to BRP/Peaks of Otter early afternoon.

Upon check in, started meeting new people, was blessed with meeting Mike/Connie wave.gif from VT and many other really great folks. Went riding on the BRP for a while, returned to sit down dinner, a evening stroll around the lake and then gathered in the parking amongst the bikes to chat – no better day could be.

After breakfast Friday, we headed out for Marlinton, WV to meet up with others for lunch at the River Place and from there – more riding of course grin.gif. And, yes it’s true, right had curves have gravel in them in WV!! That didn’t bother me too much, but those darn 20 – 10 MPH corners – they give me white knuckles eek.gif! We teased the rain clouds some of the day and for the most part stayed dry; others were not as fortunate. Back at POO for a wonderful buffet dinner and more conversation afterwards was the end to a perfect day. After saying goodbyes, it was sadly time to repack and get a route down for return trip.

Saturday morning found me playing hide and seek in the clouds along the BRP, and even for a little bit on 81. A revisit to Gettysburg was the goal of the day and after strolling around town/riding down Seminary Ridge, Bloody Run, etc., it was time to get going again. Wilkes-Barre was the next milestone and the decision to get on the other side of Scranton was made. Well, 81 is not a smooth road and did I mention the wind? It was very windy, the temps were beginning to get cooler and I found myself a heck of a pothole dopeslap.gif!! Pulled over to see what damage had been done – tire ok, pulled windshield back up to high position, rebalanced bags, but nothing was gonna unbend my wheel. After a few choice words, it was back on bike and on the road to home. Now I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that wheel got bent so I would get on home to make the girls basketball games rescheduled for Sunday! That and the fact that my new tire changer had not been used yet smirk.gif!

Around Binghamton/Bainbridge it was down right getting cold, so the heated vest was pulled out and plugged in, got a belly full of hot chocolate (which in turned filled the bladder crazy.gif) and with heated hand grips on high the push for home was made. Darkness was settling in – and that gave the opportunity to see how well the new PIAAS worked; Jeff they work great, thanks for coaching me with that project.

So about 739 smiles down and 635 smiles back, the trip to Peaks of Otter is forever in my memory. Hopefully the pics below/attached will turn out; if anyone who reads this has the chance to go to the Peaks of Otter on the Blue Ridge Parkway – do so because you’ll be visiting a piece of heaven.

Forgot pics dopeslap.gif

pies

rt 220

Valley

POO

Lake

Gettysburg

clouds

Francois_Dumas

Wondereful trip, looks like a great area to travel to!

Bummer about your wheel though.. hope you get it fixed without too high cost :0(

Kind regards,

Francois

Firefight911

Nice tale! Some beautiful scenery out there.

Sorry to hear about the wheel. Darn those holes! frown.gif

Nice pics De!

I may have to pick your brain on PA roads one of these days, because when I head for the Blue Ridge I just run 81 every time. What a slog tongue.gif Trucks galore. dopeslap.gif

Where did you cross the Susquehanna?

Yes, so sorry about the wheel. I'm still giggling about the look on your husbands face as you left. Love your upbeat sprit. It was fun reliving your ride through your tale.

Loved the shot of the clouds and my only disappointment was I thought I was going to see PIE frown.gifgrin.gif

beamergirl

Art,

In Binghamton I picked up Rt 17 from 81 which follows along river, then dropped down on 220 along river (from there a little on 405/180/147/11 to 522 which is a beautiful road through PA.

When I go to Ashville, NC - won't be taking 81 that's for sure, the others can but the maps will come out and an off the beaten path will be planned - 220 and 522 will be revisited.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable trip yourself thumbsup.gif

beamergirl

Kathy,

Thanks.

Not so sure who suffered more, him or the girls grin.gif

Believe me, pictures of those pies would not have done them justice. I'll be stopping in there again - it's just a little house with an open floor plan - you feel like you could walk right into the kitchen and start cooking yourself; the pies are off to the right side in a cooler for all to see along with a few tables, decor is rustic - prices very reasonable. Location Rt 33 near Brandywine, WV - don't blink or you'll go right by it.

De

The ride looks awesome! Sorry about the wheel, been there done that. I'll give TN credit, they have some of the best roads anywhere.

Alan

beamergirl

Matt,

I don't recall you passing me grin.gif

Yeah, gonna have to start doing this sort of thing more often - oh wait, SSR in June; BMWMOA in July; Ashville, NC in August; still have to find something for Sept. - got it = Finger Lakes Rally. Any suggestions for October?

Hi De,

Nice trip!! Sorry to hear about the pot hole. Loved the pics. thumbsup.gif

Hope to see you guys over the Summer.

You following me? You're gonna have to pick up the pace.

Matt...everyone has to pick up the pace when they are following you grin.gif

beamergirl

MattS,

Looks inviting grin.gif By the way, when did you take that picture?

TomP,

Thanks,

The couple from VT wants to meet up sometime in Old Forge - how's that sound? End of July or mid September? Would be nice to do a Friday up, overnite for two, return Sunday. Will get in touch with them.

The couple from VT wants to meet up sometime in Old Forge - how's that sound? End of July or mid September? Would be nice to do a Friday up, overnite for two, return Sunday. Will get in touch with them.

De, sounds like a good plan. Talked to Cathy and we would love to join you. Late July or early August is excellent timing for us as we have a lot of family and other weekend commitments through early July.

BTW...say hi to Mr. Mom for me. grin.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Beamergirl,

You better hope that Rainy doesn't find out that you were 30 MILES FROM OUR HOME IN VA and you didn't tell her you were going to be around! Or, did you tell her? crazy.gif

Shawn

P.S. Great ride tale! smile.gif

SC_SVRider
Beamergirl,

You better hope that Rainy doesn't find out that you were 30 MILES FROM OUR HOME IN VA and you didn't tell her you were going to be around! Or, did you tell her? crazy.gif

Nope. Never heard a word. LOL

I'm glad you had a great trip. I would have loved to meet up with you, if I had known you were that close to Lynchburg, Va.

So, after June 13th... if you are close to Greenville, SC.... thumbsup.gif

beamergirl

Shawn, thanks tongue.gifgrin.gif

Rainy,

I was just a tad nervous about my first solo long trip, so didn't really get in touch with anyone (yes I know a few people down that way and they have already given me heck) - there is no excuse!

So, y'all this is fair warning --- I'LL BE BACK DOWN THERE IN ASHVILLE, NC FROM 8/20 TO 8/27 ---- staying at the Blue Ridge MC campground.

I will post later and see if anyone wants to meet up thumbsup.gif

AND, I'll be picking a different rally for next year to come to - THC??? Mayhem??? Heck, I'd even sign up for a RideSmart (hint, hint).

So Rainy/Shawn, are you moving to SC?

Lone_RT_rider
So Rainy/Shawn, are you moving to SC?

We close on the new home in Greenville, SC on June 12th....sooo....yes! Rainy and the girls are still in Lynchburg, VA until June 9th and I am already in the Greenville area. It's about 78 miles to the campground so maybe we will head up there and say hello in August. smile.gif

Shawn

Archived