IGNORED

Oil Leaks STOPED!

JamesW

Now, I've never been a big believer in oil and gasoline additives but I've definitely found one that works.  We're the original owners of a 2008 Ford Escape that now has 66K miles and it developed a somewhat annoying leak in the timing chain cover gasket. Oil would drip onto the head pipe just before the catalytic converter and cause burned oil fumes to enter the passenger compartment each time we stopped for a light controlled intersection.   A very reputable local shop estimated repair at $950 which I no doubt believe is a fair amount.  I ran across a Lucas product called Stop Leak which Amazon sells for about 10 bucks or so a quart.  So, a couple months ago I did an oil/filter change with a quart of Lucas Stop Leak so 5 quarts of 5-20 + 1 quart of the Lucas product.  The leak has completely stoped which is great.  But, the amazing thing is the Ford idles slightly smoother and even is a touch more quiet which at first I thought was my imagination and then I noticed the Ford seemed a bit more powerful, actually quite a bit more powerful. 

Now, I know this sounds kind of hard to believe but I swear it's a fact and I hardly believe it myself.  Just for fun visit Amazon and read some of the thousands of customer evaluations.  Reason I'm posting this on this forum is I'm thinking this product might be good preventive maintenance for all earlier BMWs with transmissions separate from engines like airhead/oilhead models.  I'm thinking rear main seals that occasionally develop leaks that result in difficult and costly repairs.  Think I'm going to start maybe putting in a half quart of stop leak when I change oil in my '93 R1100RSL.  Might be the best preventive maintenance one could perform on these bikes, who knows?

• Like 1