IGNORED

A legendary picture of you.

TEWKS

Yeah I understand we're all "legends in our own minds" :grin: but I'm betting you have a picture or two of yourself that you enjoy. Flattering you might even say. Anytime, anyplace, doing anything (well almost) anything. :eek: 

"I'm not a pilot but I play one in my mind" sometimes. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
roadscholar

I like the “experimental” part, fitting : )

I doubt legendary although one of a few roads in life 30 some years ago, first high performance BMW.

AA2D29FE-6234-4F90-8154-F914268AD5B5.thumb.jpeg.f3c6385b912d7d6076d309dcf1569ab6.jpeg

• Like 8
RandyShields

Cool idea for a thread.  No photos of me with vintage rides, but there is this one.  Circa 1977.  The long hair was a source of consternation to our Army captain in charge of the ROTC rifle team, but we were pretty good and it was a sign of the times, so he let it slide. Still enjoy the shooting sports today.

Rifle team.jpg

• Like 7
Joe Frickin' Friday

Developed some pretty good trials riding skills in grad school.  Pic here is from summer of '97:

ride_on.thumb.jpg.be56bebb59307472eb53999ce9d31dbd.jpg

• Like 6

Defiantly a cool thread.  This was from 1984 on the border between East and West Germany.  Terrain walk prior to assumption of the border mission out of Camp Coburg.  Me and my assistant gunner "Big Irv" Smith.  

border.thumb.jpg.123e9893f512ed403f06ae3b17b6d80c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Here's a work and a play....... the smile is because of all the overtime working the semi-annual So Cal fires. 136109165_TopangaCynFire_SimiValley9-05030.thumb.jpg.8aa71852433ecaca9732588460e92823.jpg1405872970_McCordCycles.thumb.jpg.1314ea674ac12ab6a64cd475f0c2b247.jpg

Can't see the smile here but this is @ Buttonwillow Calif. at a trackday, throwing sparks and workin the ST 'cause it is a blast!!

• Like 10

Our first picture together, sure hope it doesn't get flagged as inappropriate.

image.thumb.png.692d0be5385b4624ee8d9b027af01748.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

TEWKS prompted me to post here…hence my username of Boxflyer.

IMG_8111.JPG.9b52c6aa2c55d9ae722e44dce0a14580.JPG

The Sharks were my favorite birds on the Saratoga.

• Like 1

Sitting in the Captains chair overlooking the flight deck on the Nimitz.  Having dinner with the Nimitz Captain and crew. Departing.  That was about 40 lbs ago.....

_AMJ1583.jpg

_AMJ1616.jpg

241.jpg

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Sitting in the Captains chair overlooking the flight deck on the Nimitz.  Having dinner with the Nimitz Captain and crew. Departing.  That was about 40 lbs ago.....

241.jpg

When I rotated off of the Kennedy, I got launched in the COD.......one of the best two seconds of my life.

• Like 1

yep.....zero to 180 in 2 seconds is a hoot.  So is stopping... Most of the time we went to the Nimitz was via a COD Greyhound like this one.  I didn't like that one too much.  Same feeling but most of the windows blacked out.

image.jpeg.09ab1fd08d4d3610fcc13d03dc68ca9f.jpeg

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

yep.....zero to 180 in 2 seconds is a hoot.  So is stopping... Most of the time we went to the Nimitz was via a COD Greyhound like this one.  I didn't like that one too much.  Same feeling but most of the windows blacked out.

image.jpeg.09ab1fd08d4d3610fcc13d03dc68ca9f.jpeg

Ya, and the cargo are seated facing the rear of the bird.

The C-2 was soooooo much better than the C-1…!

We used to say that the C-1 COD was 2 T-28's on tied on either side of a Dempster Dumpster"

image.png.39fab5b33ed547bf2bbc76e92fe7734a.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lawnchairboy said:

Knocking somebody out underway onboard LHD-2, the iron gator.  

03B0438D-AFA6-4F55-81B0-AAED4398850C.jpeg

I know that boat very well.....three years on it will do that to ya.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, roadscholar said:

I like the “experimental” part, fitting : )

I doubt legendary although one of a few roads in life 30 some years ago, first high performance BMW.

AA2D29FE-6234-4F90-8154-F914268AD5B5.thumb.jpeg.f3c6385b912d7d6076d309dcf1569ab6.jpeg

AHHH...young Bill riding a brick on the beach...life is good!

• Like 2

Watching Johnny Carson one night , he had a guest on that was the Guinness Book world record holder for walking backwards. He was doing a charity walk backwards from Santa Monica to  Santa Barbara. Saw him on my way to work. Stopped and donated a few dollars and had my picture taken. PCH Malibu  1976  Wish I would have gotten my bike in the pic.  1972 Daytona 500

D76CB726-49A3-4A1A-85B7-16DC14BBE0A5.jpeg

• Like 7
Dennis Andress
On 3/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, MikeB60 said:

Defiantly a cool thread.  This was from 1984 on the border between East and West Germany.  Terrain walk prior to assumption of the border mission out of Camp Coburg.  Me and my assistant gunner "Big Irv" Smith.  

border.thumb.jpg.123e9893f512ed403f06ae3b17b6d80c.jpg

A buddy and I were out riding near Fulda when we came across a similar sign. My buddy stopped and got off his bike and tried to talk me into helping him steal it. I was good with that, until we found this written on the back of the sign:

"Whoa to ye who taketh this sign. The Horse will get you!"

33 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

A buddy and I were out riding near Fulda when we came across a similar sign. My buddy stopped and got off his bike and tried to talk me into helping him steal it. I was good with that, until we found this written on the back of the sign:

"Whoa to ye who taketh this sign. The Horse will get you!"

Should have grabbed it! Screw the 11th ACR!  You already had passed the 1KM zone (if you were military they would have jamed you up anyway) and the Blackhorse boys were just a bunch of Cav yahoo's. Yall could have taken them!

• Haha 1
Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Should have grabbed it! Screw the 11th ACR!  You already had passed the 1KM zone (if you were military they would have jamed you up anyway) and the Blackhorse boys were just a bunch of Cav yahoo's. Yall could have taken them!

Two Wing Nuts on homemade airheads probably didn't stand a chance, but I've often wished that I had that sign in my garage!

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
Bill_Walker

This was about the pinnacle of my horseback riding "career", February 28, 2000.  My form was pretty good, though. 

Bill Jumping Split at RLA.jpeg

• Like 4

Not a very good photo, but it shows me on my CB750 in 1971 getting ready to ride from Copenhagen to Ras Tanura Saudi Arabia.   I actually made the ride 4 times, taking a different route (when possible) each time. 

Viking Sex copy.jpg

• Like 9
9 hours ago, Traveler1 said:

Not a very good photo, but it shows me on my CB750 in 1971 getting ready to ride from Copenhagen to Ras Tanura Saudi Arabia.   I actually made the ride 4 times, taking a different route (when possible) each time. 

Viking Sex copy.jpg

Thor, didn't you just love those top loading side bags.  They were the cat's meow.  

10 hours ago, Traveler1 said:

Viking Sex copy.jpg

I looked at this picture several times noticing all the cool stuff. The 750 Honda, the bubble shield, the spare knobby tire, the gloves with major finger protection.

And just now I see the big sign in the backdrop... KING SEX...:spittake: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Traveler1 said:

CB750 in 1971 getting ready to ride from Copenhagen to Ras Tanura Saudi Arabia

Man I love that bubble shield.  Had a bunch of those in my day. If I remember correctly they had sliding snaps so they would fit a variety of helmets. Kind of wish I could attach one to my Shoei... Oh and those Honda pipes were really gorgeous. 

I put a lot of miles on that 750 and when I returned to the States in 1973 I shipped it to LA.   They wouldn't let it out of customs with the foreign license plate for some reason.  The plates were from Arabia and made of pewter with beautiful Arabic lettering.  So I suppose some customs agent has got that plate hanging over his fireplace.  Skywagon, In those days, the bubble shield was probably the best I could buy - and it worked great in all kinds of weather.  And it did attach with snaps.   Lester, the top loading cases were great, but I'm not sure I could have gotten another kind in those days.   Tewks, I swear I'd forgotten that nasty, nasty big sign in the background when I posted the pic.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I looked at this picture several times noticing all the cool stuff. The 750 Honda, the bubble shield, the spare knobby tire, the gloves with major finger protection.

And just now I see the big sign in the backdrop... KING SEX...:spittake: 

The graphic/font for PRIVATE, which is what my eye trained to first, is still used today for an adult entertainment production company.......wonder if it goes back to '71/was the same company,.....hmmmmm.

image.png.9f4f2592c6c4b2819d4e61a6256041d5.png

• Smile 1
5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

See, I have a true sickness. Bikes or naked womens? My eye goes towards the bike every time. :dopeslap:

And they say people from the south are backwards ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, Rougarou said:

Our first picture together, sure hope it doesn't get flagged as inappropriate.

Inappropriate, hardly.  The Heels though look inappropriate for off roading in that jeep!!:5146:

37 minutes ago, Patallaire said:
On 3/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, Rougarou said:

Inappropriate, hardly

Yeah, Richard should have included a bike in that picture, because I’m not seeing no Jeep. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin: :thumbsup: 

Hello, line. :wave: :D

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Patallaire said:

Inappropriate, hardly.  The Heels though look inappropriate for off roading in that jeep!!:5146:

'tis a reference to something.

That was the first Jeep, no mods other than slightly larger tires,......I hadn't learnt much Jeep stuff then.

That pic was actually a week after "physically" meeting each other and heading off to my ten year hi skool reunion.

6 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah, Richard should have included a bike in that picture, because I’m not seeing no Jeep. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin: :thumbsup: 

Hello, line. :wave: :D

But you do see the BFG's, ya!

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

BFG’s? :dontknow:

Tires,.....a 'froadin kinda humor bit,......"what tires you runnin"

• Haha 1

After graduation ceremonies at bootcamp.   I was the L flag bearer, which is why I was holding it out for the photo.  The L flag represents the company passing a big inspection for lockers.  That picture was taken about 2 weeks after my 18th birthday; went in while I was still 17.  Woo hoo!

William Navy Photo-1.jpg

• Like 8
RandyShields
23 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

That picture was taken about 2 weeks after my 18th birthday; went in while I was still 17.  Woo hoo!

Just a few years ago!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Traveler1 said:

I put a lot of miles on that 750 and when I returned to the States in 1973 I shipped it to LA.   They wouldn't let it out of customs with the foreign license plate for some reason.  The plates were from Arabia and made of pewter with beautiful Arabic lettering.  So I suppose some customs agent has got that plate hanging over his fireplace.  Skywagon, In those days, the bubble shield was probably the best I could buy - and it worked great in all kinds of weather.  And it did attach with snaps.   Lester, the top loading cases were great, but I'm not sure I could have gotten another kind in those days.   Tewks, I swear I'd forgotten that nasty, nasty big sign in the background when I posted the pic.   

Thor, There were other side cases out there in the early 70's that weren't the 'Craven' /English brand that you show on your Honda 750. 

I probably still have the other brands buyer guide from back in the day. 

I still have my Craven bags that I put on when I bought my 75/5 new in 1973. Maybe when the bike and bags get to be 50 I'll sell them.

I'll see if I can find a pic.   

4 minutes ago, Lester V said:

Thor, There were other side cases out there in the early 70's that weren't the 'Craven' /English brand that you show on your Honda 750. 

I probably still have the other brands buyer guide from back in the day. 

I still have my Craven bags that I put on when I bought my 75/5 new in 1973. Maybe when the bike and bags get to be 50 I'll sell them.

I'll see if I can find a pic.   

1973 in Calif. What was I thinking drinking Schlitz?  Nice craven bags though and the 'snoopy' googles rocked. 

001.jpg

• Like 6
roadscholar

^^ Love that, wish I had a picture from Summer 1970 riding a borrowed CB350 from Big Bear down to LaCienega, hanging out with a buddy and cruising around LA for a week or so. No helmet... t-shirt, jeans, and ray-bans, those were the days. Having a Schlitz would've been a lot smarter.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

That time Steve Knapp and I heroically ditched our wives in Key West, then were stupid enough to send them a clue as to where we were.

i-Mfb4XFv-L.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4