IGNORED

Mileage question, 2016 12RTLC

EyeBike528

I know I'm opening a CAN of WORMS here…

This is how many miles and how much fuel I can put in my 2016 RTW with this fuel filler neck vent hole mod, and when on the side stand while fueling.

Referred to above by Cap as the Boxflyer Mod…I did it to his bike so each of us could get the same range and not have to stop short for his bike due to a smaller total fuel load.

354 miles and 7.062 gallons.

I ONLY do this when I'm doing "full tank rides"…not overfilling the tank so that it will overflow onto the ground when it heats up and expands if parked…because it will.

It's done with a 1/4in drill bit and the placement is so that the hole is at the 3 o'clock position in the neck, just below the thickness of the plastic top of the tank so the air can escape rapidly when filling and ALL the air is displaced with fuel for MAXIMUM range.

I don't recommend you do this, and if you try it you should know what you are doing…" don't blame me".

I've always noticed that my fuel light comes on with 1 gal of fuel remaining…and that will display as the miles to empty (zero fuel) based on an approximation of your last 50-75mi average fuel consumption.  So, if you were riding conservatively getting about 48mpg, the low fuel light would come on showing about 48 miles range…hence 1 gal left in the tank.

B22EFA78-A80F-4CC3-AA95-35E55ADF343E_1_105_c.jpeg

A4CE4A21-A457-4000-AA63-32F9732EAF5D_1_105_c.jpeg

B0D68EF5-8818-4121-8871-78AD652B44B9_1_105_c.jpeg

588B4B44-01BF-4270-81EF-29A7D1231FEC_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

I too have done this mod. In fact I removed the tube part as well.

I know that in the 'States, you may have issues with your petrol pumps and vapour traps, but for me it works really well. 

I only fill it right up if I am going to ride away immediately and do a fair distance because as you all know, the fuel is coming from a cool bulk storage to a warm petrol tank and it WILL expand. 

Ok, can someone please clear this up for me?  Ikarus wrote this on the this thread, “The  range number actually indicates the distance before you begin using what BMW considers a "reserve", which is about a gallon. I've rolled into a few gas stations 35-40 anxious miles after first seeing the range indicated as "---" with the engine still running. If you can reset the average consumption at each fill up, the range number seems to be more accurate.”

Yet Boxflyer was able to put a bit over 7 gallons after his modification, which is about 0.4 gallons more than the specs, with zero miles showing on his range indicator. 

Did Boxflyer still have about a gallon left when he filled up or not?  If he did, then the actual capacity of the tank (with his modification) is almost EIGHT gallons (versus the BMW spec of 6.6 gallons)!!!!  That or Ikarus is mistaken about the reserve volume when the range indicator reads zero.   

I'm not going speculate about who or what has been discussed earlier.

The fuel pump symbol illuminates with approx 1gal of fuel left and the display on your dash automatically switches over to the distance to empty…usually something between 38-50 miles based on what your last average MPG was for the gallon of reserve fuel.

The fuel capacity listed for the bike on all the literature is as you know 6.6gal…that's from bone dry to fill up under Government specs to the bottom of the fuel filler neck as designed to allow for airspace and expansion to prevent leaking on the ground when the fuel warms up from underground tank temps (~59deg F)

This includes the 1 gallon of reserve fuel when the fuel light is illuminated.

My mod allows for about an extra 1/2 gallon of fuel to be pumped into the tank for your use since it lets the air out of the tank that was designed for expansion.

So, 6.6gal plus "Boxflyer gas", as my riding buddies whom have had the mod done, of .5 gallons give me a total refill at the pump of close to 7.1 gallons.

This also equates to about 25-30 extra miles of range with this 1/2 gallon due to the "squirm factor" of riding so much more conservatively when you are trying to get to the gas station on fumes!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

I know I'm opening a CAN of WORMS here…

This is how many miles and how much fuel I can put in my 2016 RTW with this fuel filler neck vent hole mod, and when on the side stand while fueling.

Referred to above by Cap as the Boxflyer Mod…I did it to his bike so each of us could get the same range and not have to stop short for his bike due to a smaller total fuel load.

I ONLY do this when I'm doing "full tank rides"…not overfilling the tank so that it will overflow onto the ground when it heats up and expands if parked…because it will.

It's done with a 1/4in drill bit and the placement is so that the hole is at the 3 o'clock position in the neck, just below the thickness of the plastic top of the tank so the air can escape rapidly when filling and ALL the air is displaced with fuel for MAXIMUM range.

I don't recommend you do this, and if you try it you should know what you are doing…" don't blame me".

I've always noticed that my fuel light comes on with 1 gal of fuel remaining…and that will display as the miles to empty (zero fuel) based on an approximation of your last 50-75mi average fuel consumption.  So, if you were riding conservatively getting about 48mpg, the low fuel light would come on showing about 48 miles range…hence 1 gal left in the tank.

B22EFA78-A80F-4CC3-AA95-35E55ADF343E_1_105_c.jpeg

A4CE4A21-A457-4000-AA63-32F9732EAF5D_1_105_c.jpeg

B0D68EF5-8818-4121-8871-78AD652B44B9_1_105_c.jpeg

588B4B44-01BF-4270-81EF-29A7D1231FEC_1_105_c.jpeg

Hi Boxflyer, Thank you for enclosing the photos and instructions for the Boxflyer Mod.  That is just simply an amazing marvel of fluid dynamics and engineering - and Yes, Huge Can Of Worms!  

Kudos to you and I wish you many long, long rides out there! 

I hope that other 12RT LC owners have learned as much as I have since starting this thread. 

From here on out, I'm just an amateur compared to you seasoned pros. 

Ride Safe and Thank You!

Jim on Long island

www.island-retina.com

www.opsweb.org

21 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Yes, it can happen, a little difference in calculations can add up, and capacity listings are not a perfect science.

So how many total miles?

The listed capacity of 6.6 gallons would include the reserve of approximately one gallon. Does a light come on when you hit reserve? Count on about 40 miles max when it happens.

The key to figuring gas mileage is to fill it the same way every time, or at least be aware of the different ways it can affect a fill. That's why a long term ten tank average will give you the best measure.

What you really want to pay attention to is if you suddenly have a big difference in mileage on a consistent basis (one tank might not matter, things happen), pointing to an issue to be looked into.

I noticed the low fuel light going on at 212 miles traveled, and 44 miles remaining in the tank.   I pulled over after seeing my Range = 0, and continued riding for about 5-6 miles, and I refueled at exactly 256 miles, which is those numbers added together.  I'm starting a fuel notebook this weekend.  

NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION;  Can I do a CC50, [Perth Amboy, NJ to S.F./CA, 2914 miles] in just 10 fuel stops? 

To do a 50CC you have to be more flexible than that…you will never be able to get every fuel stop to be spaced out at 291.4 miles and you won't always get 45+ mpg.

So the answer is NO…don't even think about it in real world numbers…besides, you are working against the clock doing much further than the Jacksonville, FL to San Diego which is only about 2363 miles…

E00AE623-2B5C-434F-8802-9E541B979C39.jpeg

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, Boxflyer said:

I usually get better fuel economy than Boxflyer...  more like 375 miles. :bike:

Cap

1 minute ago, Cap said:

I usually get better fuel economy than Boxflyer...  more like 375 miles. :bike:

Cap

HaHa….NEVER!  We both know that YOU loose about 30 miles range per tank with your BIG FEET hanging out in the breeze on your highway pegs! 

(well at least 22 miles so I can tell you I'm getting better range by at least 1 on our BT headsets)

Cap and Boxflyer in Co/Ut…May 2019

971EE96F-E237-4D38-911E-126F39300A90_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Cap, and thanks Boxflyer for bursting my delicate bubble 🤛!

I still have Berkeley/SF in my sights tho...my sister and mother are safe haven. 

You two are Gods Among Men! 

Hey Cap, Boxer, Andy, can I join your club!
I pulled the trigger, and the modification took just 30 mins!  Now, I need another weekend to test my Max Range!

16001C6F-33B0-4557-A40C-90A415A6D6FE.png

3B8D31E3-4C89-4DB9-B88B-3F5C725EE839.png

C90E3800-B0BF-483D-9416-87E2527BA295.png

16 minutes ago, EyeBike528 said:

Hey Cap, Boxer, Andy, can I join your club!

I'm pretty sure that you don't want to be in any club that would have us as members.  But welcome.  Now to get your "Boxflyer Silver" upgrade, you need to use a plastic toothpick to remove all the grains of sand and grasshopper debris from your radiators.  For bonus points, you need to save it all on a shop towel, take a picture, and weigh it.  You think I'm joking! :beer:

Cap

• Haha 1

OK, you are in the Club…but along with that comes HUGE responsibility!

Just don't fill up all the way, then park your bike so fuel runs out and pollutes the Earth! 

Someday, maybe I'll tell you about repacking the front wheel bearings so they last forever…maybe…

• Like 2

Hey Box...teach me the bearing for ever applied to a boat trailer.  Even though I have buddy bearings, they get salt water in them with new races, bearings, and seals every year whether I due it or have it done.  I learned to properly grease bearings in my dads dealership when I was kid....you know grease in your palm, forced through to the other side.  None of those bearing packer tools.

• Like 1

I am humbled boxflier, says this tree hugger, bicyclist, fisherman of the sea, and anti fertilizer home owner....

🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️

• 2 months later...

Hi Cap, Hi Boxflier, 

Many Thanks to all of you and my gurus in LD riding and modifications.  Without your expert tutelage, I would not have been so successful during my last outing.   Just did an IBA 2000/48 a hair before Fathers Day Weekend.  Farpoint was Iowa City, IA.  Longest mileage was 310 miles and refill was 7.06 Gals somewhere in Indiana, I think.... Put it all together for you here. 

https://youtu.be/tsb-sepwcDA

See you out there someday soon, hopefully not in the rain!

Jim 

Oops grabbed the wrong post to quote.  I was waiting in line on my mobile phone...without my reading glasses again!

On 3/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, Bernie said:

I think the light comes on at reserve levels. I get a warning of having a range of around 45-50 miles. This range counts down quicker than the actual miles ridden. But I have gone past 0 miles range on the display. I do think the reserve is around one gallon (US), because I can get at least another 40+ miles.

On a different note, I get better gas mileage using the Dyna Mode, then the Rain Mode. Why? I guess my impatience cause me to twist the grip a little further, causing an increase in fuel consumption. Or the use of Rain Mode is really not the same as a Eco Mode.

I suspect your hunch is right on lower mpg in rain mode because that mode really neuters the power delivery. In fact I never use it even in the rain.  I would have liked it if the modes were Normal, Dynamic and Nitrous :14:

I worry about mileage in my Honda Civic,  my toys not so much.

• Like 1
RandyShields

I dutifully turn on Rain mode in the rain and wet but, frankly can't tell much difference from Road mode.  

EyeBike528

Hey Randy, 

How clairvoyant! I can’t believe I totally forgot ALL ABOUT THE RAIN MODE!
I think I need to do my IBA 2K all over again and push her to 356 miles, and refuel totally on the center stand every time to burp all the air in the 0.4 Gals of Air Space.  

But do you know how much leverage it takes to center stand an empty tank fully loaded 630 lb 12RTLC? 

A

L

O

T

!!!

Just thinking’ about all the 9th day IBA Riders out there right now who are doing this math in their head, on the road and in the rain!

J