IGNORED

Snapped rear brake bleeder

ed may

Doing my ABS flush today.   Just an FYI for all of you who do your own, be very careful with the bleeder on the rear caliper.   I barely tightened it, (I have a very good feel for tightening things as I was a tech for 25 years) and it snapped right off.  I'm sure it weak due to age/rust.  Plus it's a lot smaller than average bledder screws.  Anywho,  good thing it's part of the banjo bolt an not the caliper.  Much easier to repair. I guess I'll leave the tupperware off until I get the part since it will affect fluid level in the ABS when bleeding after replacement. 

20210227_155050.jpg

20210227_155141.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up, it was fairly simple to replace the banjo bolt.  I installed the filler funnel at the ABS unit for the rear channel and filled the funnel up halfway.  I unbolted the caliper and took the pads and caliper slide mount off.  I put a small basin under the caliper and removed the old banjo bolt, with the new one ready to go with new crush washers.  I moved quick and only lost a tablespoon of fluid.  I then reassembled the rear caliper onto the rotor with pads.  Then powered up the ignition, depressed the rear brake foot lever slightly to get the ABS pumping, cracked the new bleeder and got some solid fluid out with no bubbles.  Then emptied the funnel with syringe and buttoned it up.  FYI, when doing bleeding on the ABS with the funnel, you can suck all the fluid out of the funnel all the way down the neck and into the ABS unit by putting a small hose on the end of your syringe.  This prevents spillage when removing the funnel.  

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg