IGNORED

Sketchy starting?

WBinDE

Anyone besides me  have troubles with their shiftcam not starting? 2020 GSA with 16,000 miles. The symptom is that it spins about a half turn then stops. Battery has been replaced under warranty. Generally it gives me no trouble but two situations are problematic. One is, oddly enough, if it's spent time on a charger (CTEK MXS 5.0), the other is if it's warmed up then shut down and set for a few minutes. As long as it takes to get gas - no problem. As long as it takes to get something to eat - no problem. Somewhere in between - problem. If it's cold (just off the charger), it helps to turn it off and turn it on again. If it's hot the only solution is to wait for it to cool down although one time I had some folks push me so I could bump start it.

I had a 2015 RT that developed issues for a while, it would spin but not catch. Try a second time and it would catch immediately. I expected the same from my 2016 GSA but it never happened - it never ever failed to start on the first push. I replaced the OEM battery after 135,000 miles but when turning it off waiting in line for roadwork I never worried about it not starting. But the 2020 GSA just won't spin. I'm reluctant to take it on trips for fear I'll have the choice of idling for 20 minutes or holding up traffic trying unsuccessfully to start it. Or some morning I'll come out and it'll act up for no apparent reason.

I'm no gearhead but the only thing I can think of is that the compression release isn't releasing. That would explain the warm engine issue but not the cold one.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same thing happen on my 1250RT twice. I did this each time and it cleared the issue. I am not certain what triggers it, but this process works for me. 

Try resetting the twist grip calibration. do the following;

1.Turn on key with the kill switch set to run. Don't start the engine.
slowly open the twist grip to full throttle and slowly return to idle.

2. repeat this step three times.

3. Turn off key and wait one minute for everything to shut down.

4. Start the engine normally.

On my Oilhead (R1200C) that is similar to a TPS reset.  On that bike it takes a few miles of riding for the reset to take (ECM to re-learn).

On my RT, I had that type of start happen a time or two and never thought too much about it.  One time when it happened, the ambient air temp was about the mid 30's so I thought that had something to do with it; I was thinking the battery was getting weak.   I did not get too concerned as it fired right up on the 2nd attempt.  Not sure it that procedure would have been needed anyway.  

Something to keep in mind.

Thanks!