IGNORED

Brake fluid type

ed may

Hi all, I'm sure there is a post on this,  but can't find it.   I've got an 06 RT.  I'm going to flush the brake fluid.  I know it takes DOT 4.  My question is, what kind of DOT 4 is recommended?  I think I used a "regular " DOT 4 last time, I'll try to find my notes on this.  But regardless of what is in there,  should I use a basic DOT 4, or a "synthetic,  or even a pentosin or LV type.  Thanks.

40 minutes ago, ed may said:

Hi all, I'm sure there is a post on this,  but can't find it.   I've got an 06 RT.  I'm going to flush the brake fluid.  I know it takes DOT 4.  My question is, what kind of DOT 4 is recommended?  I think I used a "regular " DOT 4 last time, I'll try to find my notes on this.  But regardless of what is in there,  should I use a basic DOT 4, or a "synthetic,  or even a pentosin or LV type.  Thanks.

Afternoon Ed

Just use a QUALITY Dot 4, synthetic brake fluid is more of a marketing hype than informational.  

Just Dot 4 but be religious about changing it at least every 2 years.  I change mine annually at a minimum and usually when I do oil changes as it only takes about 15 minutes to do so.

44 minutes ago, ed may said:

For information, I use the Pentosin DOT4 LV in my 04 R1100S w/IABS and my 16 R1200RS without any problems. Can find in locally at Autozone.

Yes, I am specifically interested in using Pentosin since it's claimed to absorb less moisture.  Skywagon, I'm referring to flushthe ABS in my 06 RT,  which takes far longer than 15 minutes to do.

Is anyone else using Pentosin?  I believe the reason for such frequent flushing on the hexheads is due to the caps on the ABS unit are vented, not sealed like most other brake systems,  correct me if I'm wrong please. 

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

I change mine annually at a minimum and usually when I do oil changes as it only takes about 15 minutes to do so.

That's because you don't have the whizzy (sp?) brakes. On an '06 there are 6 (six) brake circuits to bleed and two out of those need to be done twice. Plus the two "traditional" wheel circuits. You have to move a special funnel around as well and have a spaghetti bundle attached to the brake servo unit once the fuel tank is removed to drain all the DOT4. I have done this multiple times now, best time I got was 45 minutes with no coffee break included ;)

5 minutes ago, Hati said:

That's because you don't have the whizzy (sp?) brakes

Your right, but I did on my 1150rt. Even more important to flush as that module is north of $2000. I rode mine for 9 years and 100k and the whizzy brakes never failed. The first time I flushed them was about 3 years. The crap that came out convinced me to do it more often. For sure a pain

LOL, I see your "3 years" and rise it to 9. That's how long at, a minimum, the R1200CL I had did not have the whizzy brakes done before I bought that bike. The fluid removed was very dark indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, is there a problem with using DOT 5? I’m a big fan of Lucas products and have been using Lucas DOT 5 for in my boat trailer with no issues. I know it’s apples and oranges, but just a thought 

2 minutes ago, MBrockman5 said:

Out of curiosity, is there a problem with using DOT 5? I’m a big fan of Lucas products and have been using Lucas DOT 5 for in my boat trailer with no issues. I know it’s apples and oranges, but just a thought 

It's my understanding that DOT 5 cannot be used with abs systems if your bike has it.

DOT 4 and DOT 5 do not mix, and will gel if they are. To switch, the whole system would have to be thoroughly cleaned with denatured alcohol, no residue of DOT 4 left in the calipers, lines, mc.

Roger that. Thank you for the heads up... I’ll just keep it simple and stay with a dedicated bottle of DOT 4 for my bike. 😎👍🏼

8 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

Morning  MBrockman5

Do not use DOT 5 as DOT 5 is a totally different fluid base. DOT 5 is silicon based & DOT 4 is a glycol based fluid THEY DON'T MIX. The seals in the DOT 4 vs DOT 5  system are also different.

Plus, your ABS system is designed around DOT 4 viscosity fluid so the thicker viscosity silicone based DOT 5 fluid would significantly change the ABS function in an emergency braking situation.