IGNORED

How many miles have you ridden over the past year?

MikeB60

Just checked my logs to see how little I rode last year.  Typically I average around 12000-15000 in a year.  Certainly lower over the past year; 4200 on the GS and only 2100 on the 1600.  Hopefully this year is much better and definitely looking forward to START!

5100...which is about normal for me, but very different trips.  In a non-covid year and before I retired by trips would be weekend only with maybe 1 long trip a year.  I typically would click off 500-600 mile per weekend.  After retirement in 2019 I made many more trips but the average was about 250.  Last year was similar to 2019  Short trips as didn't want to stop anywhere for fuel, food, 10-100, or any other reason.  If I leave home with full fuel I can do 250-320 depending on how hard/fast I ride.  So far 2021...about 15 miles.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Just checked my logs to see how little I rode last year.  Typically I average around 12000-15000 in a year.  Certainly lower over the past year; 4200 on the GS and only 2100 on the 1600.  Hopefully this year is much better and definitely looking forward to START!

Afternoon  MikeB60

Good question, I typically don't track my ridden miles as I ride so many different motorcycles, ride a lot of off-road dirt (a full day of hard of-road  riding might only yield 200 miles).

Obviously less than in past years as I haven't done any long distance rides or gone to any out-of-state rallies  or gatherings, or done any multi -state tours .  

I can say that I didn't ride any of my motorcycles over 10,000 miles last year as I changed all the of engine oils based on time not miles.  

• Like 1

Last year I rode 27,000+ miles. Weekends mostly, with three trips to the mountains. With Covid I rode solo a lot and ate outdoors alone a lot. That's about 5 to 7,000 more than the annual average of the last 5 years or so. 3200 miles so far for 2021. I log every motorcycle mile on a spreadsheet hosted on another forum.

• Like 1

About 7k on the GS I got last February. Maybe 500 total on various other bikes. 

Only trip was a quick one bringing the GS up here from the Bay Area. I don’t have a good average as it swings wildly from year to year, but definitely fewer miles than I was planning/would have liked. 

I knew my mileage was low since I didn't make any trips but dang...3500 miles.

I predict this will be a banner year though.  I retire this Friday.  I've ordered an Aerostich R-3 that's supposed to be delivered on Friday.  I'm signed up for START.  I've installed a Rampage motorcycle lift in my truck so when my wife wants to go RVing, the bike comes with us.

Ask me again next year.

• Like 1

I was kind of surprised. ~4000 miles on the F700GS, 1000 miles each on the RT (which I sold last summer) and XT225. I thought more likely half that much. Automobile miles, on the other hand, fell off a cliff, about 5000 miles. The pandemic really put a crimp on driving.

Between my 3 bikes, a little over 8,000. Usually I’m another 2K-3K above that so better than I thought it would be. If it hadn’t been for 1K trip during the summer it would have been lower. Most of my mileage during the year is gathered by commuting.

27,000 in 2020.   75% is traveling to construction projects on which I am the Structural Engineer.   Consequently I typically am charging $185.00 / hr and $60.00 per mile to my clients!    It’s a tough job but someone has to do it!   Lots of ground to cover in WY.    This coming summer I’ll be traveling to Afton, WY regularly.    That’s a nice ride.   

• Like 2
18 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I'm with you, Mike.....not nearly enough but planning more this year.   See ya at START  jb

• Like 1

Pretty much hit my average last year, about 7500 miles. It would always be more if I didn't have to park it for 5 winter months and work 40 to 60 hours a week. I do ignore my lawn as much as possible though!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, realshelby said:

none of that commuting

Commuting is still riding ;) Unless I'm missing something.  I ride when I commute because it gets me ready for work and gets me ready for home.  That hour a day each way is my time.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Pretty much hit my average last year, about 7500 miles. It would always be more if I didn't have to park it for 5 winter months and work 40 to 60 hours a week. I do ignore my lawn as much as possible though!

I've had conference calls while riding,......it's great to charge the company for riding my bike!!

12 hours ago, fatbob said:

Consequently I typically am charging $185.00 / hr and $60.00 per mile to my clients!

$60.00 per mile seems excessive. Did you mean $0.60 per mile?

34 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I've had conference calls while riding,......it's great to charge the company for riding my bike!!

I would get too distracted and run off the road! I don't like talking on the phone in the work van. Hell, I don't even like talking on the phone at home.

2 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I would get too distracted and run off the road! I don't like talking on the phone in the work van. Hell, I don't even like talking on the phone at home.

I don't talk in my four wheeled vehicles, even with hands free (ears don't pick that stuff up so good),...but on the bike, you're in my head (helmet).  

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

I don't talk in my four wheeled vehicles, even with hands free (ears don't pick that stuff up so good),...but on the bike, you're in my head (helmet).  

That's the problem, I get too involved in the conversation and lose my place on the road.

Yes, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time...

• Haha 1

Jan 1, 2020 to Dec 31, 2020 a total of 11603 miles- down a little from my usual average.

'17 R1200RS- 7303 mi.

'03 R1100S BCR- 3907 mi.

'85 K100/1100RS- 393 mi.

For many years now, I have recorded the mileage on my vehicles on Jan. 1 just cause that's how I am.

Many of the rides were just an hour or so to get out of the house for a while.

Frank

I ride my 2001 R1100RT (108K miles) 60-100 miles several times a week for pleasure, pretty much year round. Mostly along Califonia's central coast between San Francisco and Big Sur and the open areas south of Silicon Valley. Occasionally I have a destination and stop mid ride but most of the time its just a non-stop ride except for gas every 2 or 3 rides. I'm not a long distance rider. I just find my enthusiasm and attention wanes after 100 miles or so in the saddle.

Best

Miguel

IMG_1667.jpeg

• Like 1
RecentConvert

My mileage was about 9K, about 60% of normal.  Didn't enjoy walking through the drive through and then sitting on the curb to eat. 

My google newsfeed popped this one up.  Average mileage for a German rider is 6K kilometers (3600 miles) per year.   I suppose that is in the ballpark here too.

30.765 miles in 2020.   The weather was good :19:.   Lots of hundred mile days.  Lots of alcohol wipes on the gas pumps.

This year so far,  876 miles.

7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Commuting is still riding ;) Unless I'm missing something.  I ride when I commute because it gets me ready for work and gets me ready for home.  That hour a day each way is my time.

I don't disagree. I miss SOME of the commuting. The reason it is mentioned is that I was putting on 10-12K per year JUST commuting then a good bit for other riding. I need to make myself get out more so I too can get my head back in a better place.......

• Like 1

Well Terry we need to cure that when this stupid covid lifts or we can get vaccinated.  I'm eligible but our stupid mayor keeps rerouting the vaccine to .....well you know.

• Like 1

I did slightly less than 16k on my R1250GS in the last six months of 2020 after recovering from the deer collision I experienced in May. I don't have records anymore for the R1200GS involved in the collision but I estimate about 8k last year prior to the collision for a total of about 24k. That's down slightly from the last few years but I couldn't ride for almost two months due to my injuries. So far tis year, I've ridden about 3k.

Surprisingly I've done 4000 miles in the last 12 months, which is odd as I haven't actually been anywhere, just riding around the local areas to get away for a few hours. I have averaged 12,000 for the last four years, and I don't work, so no commuting in that, just fun riding, and a half dozen trips over to mainland Europe. 

Joe Frickin' Friday

A good year means a trip to Wisconsin and a trip to START or FART, plus a bunch of local Sunday-afternoon rides, typically adding up to ~5000 miles.

No trips in 2020, plus I hunkered down for the first few months of the pandemic.  Ended up with just a handful of Sunday-afternoon rides, totaling may 800 miles for the year.  Hoping to travel again this fall.

I have close to 8,500 miles total from both bikes.  A majority of them are on the RT with some ARTS and only 3 (!) SECFF lunches in 2020 and commuting.  Depending on how you look at my commute, it is only 19 miles round trip with highest posted speed of 45 mph.  (Yeah, right.  ;).)  Not a long ride in and back so could be a good thing for not sitting in traffic,  but less time putting miles on the bike.  Occasionally,  I get out for some short rides on weekends.   The current situation did put a slight damper on trips for me, but the miles for '20 were about average for me.   So I got that going for me, which is nice.  

I bought my 2020 GSA in December 2019 and put 7700 miles on the clock by October 2020 which included trips to Tucson and Montana. I also put about 5000 miles on my 2016 K16GTLE which were mostly day trips of 250-300 miles but I did take a 2 day getaway trip from PA to Waynesboro, VA via Skyline Drive. I took precautions but didn't let Covid keep me from riding. This year I'm planning a trip out to Montana, Idaho, Oregon, S Dakota and Colorado.

Calendar 2020 mileage was 30,000.  Mostly on my RT, 28090.  The rest on a CRF250L, KLR, and a few on the old CBX.  Mostly local rides due to Covid.  Did make FART and a couple 3 day rides in W NC.  So far 2021 is off to a slow start, 1800 miles.  Looking forward to START,