IGNORED

Cleaning oil cooler

TowJam

Other than using a soft toothbrush and can of compressed air, does anyone have any tips/tricks on cleaning the bug collection out of my oil cooler? (Trying to avoid pushing the little carcasses deeper into the radiator and/or bending fins.)

What say ye?

I say get ye some screen material (like for a storm door) and cut a piece big enough to cover the cooler. Use some double sided tape to adhere it to the cooler and when it is full of bugs, change it. That's my plan, so far it has worked well, I just have not had to change it yet with 1900 miles.

I say get ye some screen material (like for a storm door) and cut a piece big enough to cover the cooler. Use some double sided tape to adhere it to the cooler and when it is full of bugs, change it. That's my plan, so far it has worked well, I just have not had to change it yet with 1900 miles.

I'm planning to put a screen on it. In fact, that's one of my projects for this weekend. But I've got to get it cleaned up first.

I bought a big role of window screen at Wal Mart for $7.00..I don't even bother with the tape..Cut a piece, fold it to fit and stick it in ..Forget it...

I bought a big role of window screen at Wal Mart for $7.00..I don't even bother with the tape..Cut a piece, fold it to fit and stick it in ..Forget it...

I tried that first, but somehow it blew away, so I added the tape. Maybe I need a bigger piece of screen. Luckily, it's a cheap experiment.

Guys ..... I use a much easier method. Each time I wash my bike, I reach up and behind the radiator (above the front wheel) with the washing hose which has a nozzle attached and force a jet of water back through the fins .. hosing out the insects back the way they came in, rather than forcing them right through the whole radiator. The heat in the radiator ensures that the bugs are cooked and reasonable hard .. so out they come

I have used this method on my last 8 oil heads ... never caused any damage to the fins and never had a overheating problem

Exactly what Chris said. Too easy to be real but it works. thumbsup.gif

Archived