IGNORED

R1200RT Wheel Bearing Life

aggieengineer

aggieengineer

My 2008 model RT is about to hit 50,000 miles, and I'm wondering if there is a consensus on a life expectancy for the front wheel bearings. They felt smooth at last tire change, and I don't use a pressure washer.

My other bike, a K1600 is known for wearing out bearings in much less time, although it's a heavier bike with smaller bearings. I'm getting ready to order a spare set for that machine. Should I order a set for the RT as well?

10 minutes ago, aggieengineer said:

My 2008 model RT is about to hit 50,000 miles, and I'm wondering if there is a consensus on a life expectancy for the front wheel bearings. They felt smooth at last tire change, and I don't use a pressure washer.

My other bike, a K1600 is known for wearing out bearings in much less time, although it's a heavier bike with smaller bearings. I'm getting ready to order a spare set for that machine. Should I order a set for the RT as well?

Evening aggieengineer

Good question, I haven't seen many 1200RT wheel bearing failures so they seem to live a long happy life. But at 50k yours have seen a lot of rotations so might be something to think about in the future. 

If you have them handy it doesn't take long to change them out a during a future tire change.  

aggieengineer

I confess to being a nerd, and did the calculation. About 40 million revolutions. Probably worth a careful inspection, and a set of ready replacements. I've been looking around for bearings for the other bike, but want something from the U.S., Japan, or Europe from a reputable source. Apparently counterfeit bearings are everywhere. Cheaper to fake than Rolex, and with a lot more customers.

That is why I buy from a reputable dealer, I'm not interested in saving a little money when quality counts.

Also, I think I read that Korea makes quality bearings, Koyo maybe? I would have to go back and do some research.

And if you're real serious, ceramic bearings will keep you happy, but definitely at the expense of your wallet.

For what it's worth, I have 100,000 miles on my front and rear wheel bearings on a 2001 Harley. They get inspected every tire change, and so far, so good. (Original spoked rims too, but that's going off topic)

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, I had asked around about front wheel bearings and their lifetimes.  I found no recommendations about replacement routinely on my 2006 RT.  Mine failed at 146,000 miles. I learned from the local BMW mechanic that it's prudent to inspect the bearings about every 20,000 miles.  Just take them out and feel the action of the bearings.  If there is any grittiness, replace them.  Otherwise, let them roll.  My plan is to inspect them whenever I change tires, since the wheel is off the bike anyway.