Dirt before Pavement.

Dave334478

Dave334478

Over the last 4 decades I've found myself in many unusual situations on a motorcycle while riding on the street.

I've done the flying squirrel at 100mph+, I've been trapped between the front and rear dual wheels of a semi (bottom dump) trailer on the freeway at freeway speeds, I've sat on the side of my motorcycle waiting for it to stop sliding down the road after hitting some unexpected sand in a corner, wearing nothing but a Gi.

I've always walked away and have never had a major injury. 

I owe it to growing up riding dirt bikes. 

Before I ever hit the street, I was already accustomed to every emergency maneuver anyone can think of. So when something unexpected happens on the street, it doesn't push me outside of my experience.

I believe, everyone should spend some time off road, pulling whatever crazy stunts they can think up before they are even allowed to get on a street bike.

Hosstage

I really can't argue with that logic.

Some professional racers, auto and motorcycle, go back to dirt often to hone skills.

Glad you're still in one piece!

• 6 months later...

Yesterday while finishing up the “puppy dog ride” in Vermont we came to the end of a dirt road that entered onto a main throughway that was under construction. They had signs saying “caution no pavement”. I thought that was funny. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
chrisolson
On 1/6/2021 at 10:59 PM, Dave334478 said:

I believe, everyone should spend some time off road

I'd definitely agree that dirt is a great "bike control" training medium that all riders should experience . 

I had an old motocross style bike  - many, many years  ago -   expressly for desert riding with a group of friends (who were vastly more experienced than I was  :cool: ) ... learned a lot. 

• 2 months later...

Add me to the list of dirt rider first, street rider second.

I learned on the dirt in the summer of 1976.  Had many painful wipeouts where I learned when to use the front brake and when not to.  Made some really bad mistakes, kinda funny looking back on it.

But I credit the painful summer of '76 for my staying alive on 2 wheels ever since.  Riding since then and no accidents, not counting my clumsiness in parking lots.

• Like 2
On 1/7/2021 at 12:59 AM, Dave334478 said:

On 1/7/2021 at 12:59 AM, Dave334478 said:

Over the last 4 decades I've found myself in many unusual situations on a motorcycle while riding on the street.

I've done the flying squirrel at 100mph+, I've been trapped between the front and rear dual wheels of a semi (bottom dump) trailer on the freeway at freeway speeds, I've sat on the side of my motorcycle waiting for it to stop sliding down the road after hitting some unexpected sand in a corner, wearing nothing but a Gi.

I've always walked away and have never had a major injury. 

I owe it to growing up riding dirt bikes. 

Before I ever hit the street, I was already accustomed to every emergency maneuver anyone can think of. So when something unexpected happens on the street, it doesn't push me outside of my experience.

I believe, everyone should spend some time off road, pulling whatever crazy stunts they can think up before they are even allowed to get on a street bike.

Morning Dave334478

With all those major accidents it sounds like you owe your survival more  to luck than dirt-biking.  

Off-road riding  can teach a lot of things, like  motorcycle control, loose surface braking control, as well as other usable smaller motorcycle control techniques but it doesn't do much to teach common sense, or much to teach a rider how to read impending on-road potential accident situations, or teach on-road bad situation avoidance in traffic.

I believe the  basic idea is to take what you learn in off-road riding (dirt-biking) then use that to prevent on-road accidents not survive them.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I was talking with a young man who raced motocross, very successful at it, ripping corners way too fast, tripling jumps thirty, forty feet in the air. He said those of us that ride motorcycles on the street in traffic are nuts! I had to laugh.

I’m pretty sure this wasn’t 30/40 ft high in the air but I probably traveled that far in distance. First moto good, second moto not so good. I spent the next ten days in the hospital with broken stuff. It wasn’t all bad, they kept me chemically smiling for most of that time. :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.e421594c8ef6b5b12c2f3a5f54c43eec.jpeg

Point to my comment? I don’t have one, except that is one cool picture! :yes: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3

Dirt forces you to learn bike control if for no other reason than you're constantly making inputs for where you want the tires to be. As it becomes second nature applying it to pavement even though you're going faster is easy and at times even boring. This is Kenny Haynes and my buddy Dave exploring some Colorado two-track a few years ago, just cruising going with the flow. 

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-videos-Sept-17/i-gCTbQ6x/A

• Like 2